OFFICIAL CREOLE THREAD: Hey, Let's Talk About Creoles (Louisiana Creoles)

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
I've never heard this viewpoint before thanks for informing me.

shyt can get crazy, I know some creoles who will get pissed at biracial person trying to pass themselves off as a creole! its not all about skin color, it has a lot to do with family heritage. Don't get it twisted tho, a good number of these broads aint fukking with you if you don't pass that bag test.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
shyt can get crazy, I know some creoles who will get pissed at biracial person trying to pass themselves off as a creole! its not all about skin color, it has a lot to do with family heritage. Don't get it twisted tho, a good number of these broads aint fukking with you if you don't pass that bag test.
Damn

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
People get really confused about that term "creole".

I grew up in South La. and currently live in New Orleans.

About 95% of people who consider themselves creole are catholic,
Just because you are fair in complexion you are not considered creole, I know a lot of darker skin folks who are creole.

A lot of the older more well established creole families are concerned with preserving that creole heritage. Some more than others. Whether they admit it or not, a lot of them do seem to think they are different than us, and I use "us" loosely. I was cool with this dude who could pass, his family is from New Orleans and they are almost all "passe blanc"( I'm dark like my grandmother, with wavy black hair) I honestly felt weird around those people, they were nice to me, but I felt like an outsider, especially around the older folks.

My lineage, as far as I know, would be considered creole, but I don't consider myself to be a creole. My maternal grandmother was a light skin creole mix, my great GF was from jamica. My paternal grandparents were indian and black mixed.

Creole means different things to different people, for ex I went to St Lucia on my honeymoon, and all the black people were called creoles, they spoke patois and that seemed to be what made them creole.
Hence the term Louisiana creole. Creole generally means black and either Portugese, French, Spanish, etc. which is why you see people from colonized places with similar roots using the term as well. And yes, some Creoles are obsessed with preserving their color. Seen it with my own family and my dad had me stay away from them.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
Hence the term Louisiana creole. Creole generally means black and either Portugese, French, Spanish, etc. which is why you see people from colonized places with similar roots using the term as well. And yes, some Creoles are obsessed with preserving their color. Seen it with my own family and my dad had me stay away from them.
What part of the country are you from?