Official Coming 2 America Thread

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Much more promising.

However, I cant help but feel somebody black should have directed this :yeshrug:

I know the first one didnt have someone black, but John Landis>>

Still excited tho :manny:

I thought the director was black just by looking at his name

:dead:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I hear what Eddie is saying. However, if Creed is anything to go by he still would have been very important. Coogler managed to keep a lot of focus on Rocky as well.

Nah eddie is right tho. That movies narrative focus is about his son not Akeem. That’s a different movie instead of a two hander where akeem is still the main focus because the narrative is on his shoulders.

He’s the one looking for a son. He’s the one who brings the son back. And he’s the one who has to deal with the consequences of those actions and what it means for his kingdom and family.

If the movie is about his son looking for a queen, then Akeem is basically the background because nothing is really happening with him.

That’s the reason Creed is called Creed and not Rocky 7. Sylvester is a supporting character in that movie. Akeem isn’t nor should he be a supporting character.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nah eddie is right tho. That movies narrative focus is about his son not Akeem. That’s a different movie instead of a two hander where akeem is still the main focus because the narrative is on his shoulders.

He’s the one looking for a son. He’s the one who brings the son back. And he’s the one who has to deal with the consequences of those actions and what it means for his kingdom and family.

If the movie is about his son looking for a queen, then Akeem is basically the background because nothing is really happening with him.

That’s the reason Creed is called Creed and not Rocky 7. Sylvester is a supporting character in that movie. Akeem isn’t nor should he be a supporting character.

I would have tried to work with Ryan to see if concessions could be made. Remember, its Eddie fukking Murphy; he came up with the story for the first movie. I’m sure Ryan would have been willing to be collaborative and work with Eddie’s vision.

But then again, it doesn’t say if this is was post or pre Black Panther, where Ryan had absolutely already proven himself after Fruitvale and Creed. And timing definitely plays a factor in these equations. You could tell with Dolemite that Craig Brewer caught Eddie at an artistic resurrection and when those creative energies “click” you just go with the flow.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I would have tried to work with Ryan to see if concessions could be made. Remember, its Eddie fukking Murphy; he came up with the story for the first movie. I’m sure Ryan would have been willing to be collaborative and work with Eddie’s vision.

But then again, it doesn’t say if this is was post or pre Black Panther, where Ryan had absolutely already proven himself after Fruitvale and Creed. And timing definitely plays a factor in these equations. You could tell with Dolemite that Craig Brewer caught Eddie at an artistic resurrection and when those creative energies “click” you just go with the flow.

Doesn’t sound like eddie told him no straight up but he mentioned that and I’m guessing from his response, that was it. End of discussion. Ryan had the story he wanted to tell eddie had the story he wanted to tell or not tell and you move on. Like you said when it clicks it clicks. No use forcing shyt that ain’t there just for the sake of forcing shyt.

And still if the narrative is about eddie’s son doing his version of what eddie did in the first movie, then that movie isn’t about Akeem and that seemed to be eddie’s main issue. Less about screen time and who the movie is truly about.

It’s like tombstone (fresh in my mind cause I just watched it). Val Kilmer probably has as much screen time as Kurt Russell. Maybe 3 or 4 min less in total. But that’s a movie about Wyatt Earp through and through. Even if doc holiday has the more memorable shyt. But Wyatt is the one with the arc. The person with the arc is who the thing is about.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

He pitched it to Eddie right before Creed was about to come out/or just came out. Eddie wasn't feeling the idea yet. However, it got him thinking more about the sequel. Ryan went onto direct Black Panther and it became such a huge hit that Eddie really wanted to make a sequel.

And you're right. Coogler made a lot of concessions with Stallone on Creed as well. So he would have done it with Eddie. He wouldnt have just been supporting,, but had his own important storyline as well as it starts to merge.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Again if we're basing it on Coogler/Creed then the same thing would have went on. The first 15 mins were about setting up Creed and then the rest of the movie was about both their journey.

Creed accepting his legacy.
Rocky not shutting down life and finding a reason to live.

However, again on paper or as a pitch I can see Eddie being chill on that. Remember Stallone didnt want to do Creed until after he saw Coogler do Fruitvale. I'm glad it least inspired Eddie for the sequel though. Although it seems like the "Son" and his daughter are going to have important arcs in this movie as well.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Again if we're basing it on Coogler/Creed then the same thing would have went on. The first 15 mins were about setting up Creed and then the rest of the movie was about both their journey.

Creed accepting his legacy.
Rocky not shutting down life and finding a reason to live.

However, again on paper or as a pitch I can see Eddie being chill on that. Remember Stallone didnt want to do Creed until after he saw Coogler do Fruitvale. I'm glad it least inspired Eddie for the sequel though. Although it seems like the "Son" and his daughter are going to have important arcs in this movie as well.

Also once again, Eddie wants the movie to be about his character. Creed is about Creed. Rocky is a supporting player. That's it. Eddie doesn't want to be a supporting player.

This isn't about screen time; its about narrative. the person who has an arc is who the story is about. I hear what you're saying but you're making Eddie's point for him.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Also once again, Eddie wants the movie to be about his character. Creed is about Creed. Rocky is a supporting player. That's it. Eddie doesn't want to be a supporting player.

This isn't about screen time; its about narrative. the person who has an arc is who the story is about. I hear what you're saying but you're making Eddie's point for him.

With all fairness Eddie has a point....the movie centered on his character and the ones he played....I do think having MJB would have gave it a nice push tho

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
With all fairness Eddie has a point....the movie centered on his character and the ones he played....I do think having MJB would have gave it a nice push tho
Yeah most def but I get where Eddie’s coming from. Not even on some diva shyt just basic storytelling shyt. If the son is looking for his wife then the movie is about the son. The son is the one making the moves and moving the story forward; he owns it.

No matter what they give eddie to do in that mold, he’s second banana.