Official Coming 2 America Thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Let’s not talk about Pluto Nash breh....let’s just not...

:russ: Just saying man. It’s on his ledger and so there’s more evidence to say he’d have no problem doing work just for the check if need be. Do I think that’s the case here? Nope. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it were the other way. Meet Dave, Pluto Nash, daddy day care, Beverly Hills cop 3, haunted mansion. Eddies got some choices. But I’m willing to overlook daddy day care and haunted mansion because they were kids movies and I get that. But still

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Do we really want "black-ish" type, pedestrian sitcom humor applied to a classic
like "Coming To America"?

Black ish isn’t pedestrian sitcom writing for one. For two, go back and look at Coming To America and it’s basically sitcom writing. It’s really good sitcom writing but there’s also a reason that duo is now being rewritten.

And barbershop 3 and girls trip show Kenya knows how to write funny. Period. And create good characters which you need in any story.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Black ish isn’t pedestrian sitcom writing for one. For two, go back and look at Coming To America and it’s basically sitcom writing. It’s really good sitcom writing but there’s also a reason that duo is now being rewritten.

And barbershop 3 and girls trip show Kenya knows how to write funny. Period. And create good characters which you need in any story.

I find "black-ish" to be completely pedestrian, after-school-special-like-in-tone, and not of the writing quality of "The Carmichael Show," "Atlanta," or even an average "Fresh Prince" episode.

IMO, It has benefitted tremendously for three seasons from its time slot and the hunger for black audiences to see primetime representation on white broadcast networks.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I find "black-ish" to be completely pedestrian, after-school-special-like-in-tone, and not of the writing quality of "The Carmichael Show," "Atlanta," or even an average "Fresh Prince" episode.

IMO, It has benefitted tremendously for three seasons from its time slot and the hunger for black audiences to see primetime representation on white broadcast networks.

And I disagree. Especially when comparing it to fresh prince. It does what any good story should which is to get you to care about it’s characters and then uses their issues to explore larger issues. Just like fresh prince did but it’s also not as silly as fresh prince could be at times even though that’s not a knock on that show.

The lemonade episode, the police brutality episode, even the season arc of Bo being pregnant at her age and the complications that can come from that. And it’s smart writing. They can do wordplay jokes along with slapstick and absurd jokes while still having something worthwhile to say about society or culture or tradition. But it’s also got heart which again a good comedy needs because if you don’t care about the people then nothing else matters and it may as well be hot air

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
tumblr_nkpheweJad1u9e5ngo1_500.gif

Can't beat the original tho.
No shyt :stopitslime: