Official Coli HBCU sports & band thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Notre Dame football will pay Tennessee State $1 million guarantee for 2023 season opener
6f261a86-7526-48b2-b6e0-7dc579b0a5d6-NDTSUPresser04062022_008.jpg

==========
Broadcast on NBC

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIwLzA3L0dBTUUtVElNRVNfMTZ4OS5qcGc.jpg

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Looks like Tennessee State will be the first HBCU with a hockey team :blessed:

I been following this for the past two years. I’m happy they approved it..no telling how successful they will be or how long they will have the program, but at least it’s something new.

I been watching hockey for 20 something years I’ll support them to my fullest extent. Hopefully this will bring more black kids into the sport.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Tennessee State will become the first HBCU to add ice hockey​

tennessee-state-adds-mens-hockey-program2.jpg

Left to Right: TSU Director of Athletics Dr. Mikki Allen, TSU President Dr. Glenda Glover, NHL VP of Hockey Development & Strategic Collaboration Kevin Westgarth, NHL Player Inclusion Coalition Co-Chair Anson Carter (Photo by College Hockey Inc.).​
June 28, 2023

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee State University announced Wednesday that it will become the first historically Black college and university to introduce ice hockey.The school plans to have a men’s team playing at the club level in 2024, with a goal of fielding Division I men’s and women’s teams “in the near future.”

The Tennessee State program has been created in partnership with the National Hockey League, the National Hockey League Players' Association and the Nashville Predators. The announcement was made hours before the start of the NHL draft, which is being held at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, the city where the university is located.

“Together, we celebrate the power of collaboration as we dismantle barriers, diversify the game, and propel hockey into a new era of inclusivity,” Tennessee State athletic director Mikki Allen said in a statement. “This partnership serves as a catalyst, driving change and ensuring that the game we love embraces the beauty of diversity."

Since 2017, the NHL and the players' union have sponsored feasibility studies for U.S. colleges and universities interested in exploring the addition of Division I men’s and women’s programs. The study for Tennessee State began in 2021.

Tennessee State's addition follows a trend of HBCUs adding sports outside their more traditional offerings of football, men's and women's basketball and men's and women's track and field. Earlier this year, The Associated Press contacted 46 Division I and D-II HBCUs and five conference offices about the trend. Twenty schools responded, saying they had added at least 42 NCAA championship or emerging sports since 2016, including at least 32 sports since 2020 alone.

In 2022-23, Fisk University became the first HBCU to offer women's gymnastics. Morgan State will become the only HBCU offering Division I men's wrestling this coming school year.

“Bringing ice hockey to Tennessee State University is a part of our continued commitment to provide our students with new opportunities and to broaden new interests in areas where they have traditionally had limited or no access,” university president Glenda Glover said

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Bluefield State returns to the CIAA..they were apart of the conference in the early days but left. Also, Bluefield state is an HBCU with a 80% white student body population. It was a founded as an HBCU but state legislatures took over & forced out the black students back in the day

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Some Classics already announced for this upcoming season

82nd annual Magic City Classic- Alabama State vs Alabama A&M (October 28th, Birmingham, AL) (goat HBCU classic :wow: eat a dikk @Schadenfreude )

Gulf Coast Classic- Alabama A&M vs Jackson State (October 7th, Mobile, AL)

Orange Blossom Classic- FAMU vs Jackson State (Sep.3 Miami,FL)

Labor Day Classic- Grambling vs Prairie View (Sep. 30, Dallas, TX)

MEAC/SWAC Challenge- Jackson State vs South Carolina State (Aug 26, Atlanta, GA)

Port City Classic- Alabama State vs Grambling (Nov 4th. Mobile, AL)

I’d add more later

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Some Classics already announced for this upcoming season

82nd annual Magic City Classic- Alabama State vs Alabama A&M (October 28th, Birmingham, AL) (goat HBCU classic :wow: eat a dikk @Schadenfreude )

Gulf Coast Classic- Alabama A&M vs Jackson State (October 7th, Mobile, AL)

Orange Blossom Classic- FAMU vs Jackson State (Sep.3 Miami,FL)

Labor Day Classic- Grambling vs Prairie View (Sep. 30, Dallas, TX)

MEAC/SWAC Challenge- Jackson State vs South Carolina State (Aug 26, Atlanta, GA)

Port City Classic- Alabama State vs Grambling (Nov 4th. Mobile, AL)

I’d add more later
:ufdup:fukk the Hornets, y'all got lucky last year, it's time to catch that annual ass whooping and right the ship this year :ufdup:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Aye yo @staticshock you better not duck and hide from this smoke when your Hornets catch that annual ass whooping from the superior school that is AAMU :mjgrin: :ufdup:

Imagine being scared of Alabama A&M :dead:
Y’all nikkas wouldn’t be in the SWAC if it wasn’t for us :wow:

Y’all the Vandy of the SWAC. Stick to engineering & academics :umad:

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Imagine being scared of Alabama A&M :dead:
Y’all nikkas wouldn’t be in the SWAC if it wasn’t for us :wow:

Y’all the Vandy of the SWAC. Stick to engineering & academics :umad:

Imagine being Alabama State and getting annual ass whoopings from a school of engineering students, when y'all supposedly got the better athletes :mjlol: :dead:

There's 3 things certain in life: death, taxes, and AAMU giving that annual ass whooping on Alabama State in the Magic City Classic :mjgrin::mjlol:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Imagine being Alabama State and getting annual ass whoopings from a school of engineering students, when y'all supposedly got the better athletes :mjlol: :dead:

There's 3 things certain in life: death, taxes, and AAMU giving that annual ass whooping on Alabama State in the Magic City Classic :mjgrin::mjlol:

Only cause the school has been hiring some dumb ass coaches. Everything went back to normal last October :blessed:

You going this year?

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Only cause the school has been hiring some dumb ass coaches. Everything went back to normal last October :blessed:

You going this year?

Damn right I'm going unless something happens. Need to see that ass whooping AAMU is gonna put on the Hornets in person :mjlit:

Might even sit in the Hornet student section or among the Hornet fans because I want all the smoke :mjlit::russ: