Official Coli Bike/Cycling thread

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
sucks that it’s not working out that great. I guess that windsor could still be an option if you can recoup your money on that Raleigh, but i don’t think you’ll be as happy with it in the long term. I assume the components are original to the bike? If so, that’s probably where the issue is as more modern designed ones are much more precise when it comes to how they engage mechanically. A more thorough tune up could possibly get you some gains, but i still don’t think it’d be comparable to something that’s newer. I just don’t think the tolerances will ever be as exact.
There's a decent amount of new parts actually:
ubJ4c51.png

I think since my starting point was initially a new bike, the transition to an older model that requires some TLC is a little harder. Gearing and braking are pretty fundamental tho lol. If those weren't occuring I'd be gucci.

To be honest, thanks to WFH I'm saving +$100/mo on public transit, so I can afford to spend more if need be. I just know I'm the type of person who appreciates getting a dependable product for cheap more than I would enjoy paying MSRP for the latest tech. I'm content with the road bike equivalent of a used Honda Accord lol... something built to last, fixable with generic tools and popular in secondhand markets so pricing is reasonable.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
There's a decent amount of new parts actually:
ubJ4c51.png

I think since my starting point was initially a new bike, the transition to an older model that requires some TLC is a little harder. Gearing and braking are pretty fundamental tho lol. If those weren't occuring I'd be gucci.

To be honest, thanks to WFH I'm saving +$100/mo on public transit, so I can afford to spend more if need be. I just know I'm the type of person who appreciates getting a dependable product for cheap more than I would enjoy paying MSRP for the latest tech. I'm content with the road bike equivalent of a used Honda Accord lol... something built to last, fixable with generic tools and popular in secondhand markets so pricing is reasonable.

How do you like the frame itself?

If it’s something you’d like to keep, i’d just say fukk it and shop at chainreaction or wiggle for a halfway decent shimano groupset, kit out your bike with it and call it a day if you’’re happy with the rest of the components as well.

Edit: actually i guess dropping $300-400 on upgrading it probably wouldn’t be the best idea. You might be better off simply selling or returning it for something that’s a little newer.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How do you like the frame itself?

If it’s something you’d like to keep, i’d just say fukk it and shop at chainreaction or wiggle for a halfway decent shimano groupset, kit out your bike with it and call it a day if you’re happy with the rest of the components as well.
I'm revisiting my criteria for a road bike and remembering/realizing that my main criteria is a minimalist aesthetic. It just so happened that it's popular with vintage bikes but plenty of modern bikes (with more standardized parts) have a similar style. If I overlook my current issues, the Raleigh rides better than my hybrid, but I dunno if that's due to the frame, or just road bikes in general? I think my inexperience comes in here because as long as the parts aren't irritating me, all of the parts feel interchangeable.

Fixing the parts I'm not happy with requires me spending more $$$ to match (and hopefully surpass) the experience that I had with my stock hybrid that also cost $300 (but was new). Overall, I think that once I account for the cost of new parts + services, the Raleigh will creep from a $300 bike to a +$450 bike, and at that price point, I'd prefer to just get a new/used bike with no mandatory investments and that is more futureproof.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I'm revisiting my criteria for a road bike and remembering/realizing that my main criteria is a minimalist aesthetic. It just so happened that it's popular with vintage bikes but plenty of modern bikes (with more standardized parts) have a similar style. If I overlook my current issues, the Raleigh rides better than my hybrid, but I dunno if that's due to the frame, or just road bikes in general? I think my inexperience comes in here because as long as the parts aren't irritating me, all of the parts feel interchangeable.

Fixing the parts I'm not happy with requires me spending more $$$ to match (and hopefully surpass) the experience that I had with my stock hybrid that also cost $300 (but was new). Overall, I think that once I account for the cost of new parts + services, the Raleigh will creep from a $300 bike to a +$450 bike, and at that price point, I'd prefer to just get a new/used bike with no mandatory investments and that is more futureproof.

The geometry of it being a road bike is most likely why it feels better than your hybrid, followed by the fact that it is steel. The quality of the steel has little to do with it, as this affects the more personality of how it rides versus a cheap "gas pipe" steel frame. I still say to stay away from aluminum personally. If you look for a new bike, also make sure it's closer to a traditional road geometry, rather than aggressive. A frame for hardcore road riders will have you more scrunched in and aerodynamic with your head lower to the ground, but I think what you'd rather have is something that is responsive, yet more suited for distance touring, which vintage frames tend to be since they sit somewhere in the middle of modern road and endurance fitment. It'll also have you a bit more upright so that it's easier to navigate city traffic. There's still manufacturers that make them in this style, so you don't need to be tied to looking for something that is 30+ years old. Geometry is a big reason why people like those bikesdirect models like the windsor so much.

Buyer's guide: bicycle geometry

When i had my frame made, I asked my builder for a traditional road ride quality, but with a bit steeper seat tube so that I could sit a little more over my cranks, so that I could put a bit more power into my pedal. This sacrificed a wee bit of long term comfort for better off the line action, while still giving me a comfortable and responsive ride once I got up to speed.

What size are you? What's your budget?

Maybe look at this one? Geo is a bit aggressive, but that just means moar fun. Sounds like if you upgrade the rear derailleur, brake pads, and pedals, you'll have a really solid ride for years to come

State Bicycle Co. 4130 Road Bike - Hunter Green Colorway (8-speed)

You can probably still find a better deal on a better overall bike on craigslist or ebay , but this state bike does seem like a nice option.

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The geometry of it being a road bike is most likely why it feels better than your hybrid, followed by the fact that it is steel. The quality of the steel has little to do with it, as this affects the more personality of how it rides versus a cheap "gas pipe" steel frame. I still say to stay away from aluminum personally. If you look for a new bike, also make sure it's closer to a traditional road geometry, rather than aggressive. A frame for hardcore road riders will have you more scrunched in and aerodynamic with your head lower to the ground, but I think what you'd rather have is something that is responsive, yet more suited for distance touring, which vintage frames tend to be since they sit somewhere in the middle of modern road and endurance fitment. It'll also have you a bit more upright so that it's easier to navigate city traffic. There's still manufacturers that make them in this style, so you don't need to be tied to looking for something that is 30+ years old. Geometry is a big reason why people like those bikesdirect models like the windsor so much.

Buyer's guide: bicycle geometry

When i had my frame made, I asked my builder for a traditional road ride quality, but with a bit steeper seat tube so that I could sit a little more over my cranks, so that I could put a bit more power into my pedal. This sacrificed a wee bit of long term comfort for better off the line action, while still giving me a comfortable and responsive ride once I got up to speed.
Appreciate this breakdown. Going to read the article on geometry tonight :salute:

What size are you? What's your budget?
5'9, 165 lbs.

RIght now, my price range is still around $300 but if I return my current bike and the bike shop doesn't have a solid exchange option, I will be bikeless and will probably bump the price up to the $400-600 range. My only concern is that if my bike looks too good/new/expensive, then it will bring unwanted attention. I suppose I can just get a better lock.

Maybe look at this one? Geo is a bit aggressive, but that just means moar fun. Sounds like if you upgrade the rear derailleur, brake pads, and pedals, you'll have a really solid ride for years to come

State Bicycle Co. 4130 Road Bike - Hunter Green Colorway (8-speed)

You can probably still find a better deal on a better overall bike on craigslist or ebay , but this state bike does seem like a nice option.
Yeah... Visually, that's exactly the type of bike I want lol. I'm going to dig around the secondary markets to see if I can get something comparable at a lower price but if I can't find anything, I might drop the $$$.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Yeah... Visually, that's exactly the type of bike I want lol. I'm going to dig around the secondary markets to see if I can get something comparable at a lower price but if I can't find anything, I might drop the $$$.

You may be better off going the bikesdirect route again as the components will be nicer than the state 4130 and as much as a fan I am of steel, you may better served with an aluminum frame since I remember you saying you had some stairs to climb at your house. I still say to keep your eye out on craigslist or see if the bikeshop you got your current one from can get you onto something that you're a little happier with. Going used will be better than any off the shelf option tbh.

Save Up to 60% Off New Road Bikes, Roadbikes - Mercier Galaxy ST / ST Express Road bikes

Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes - Windsor Wellington 3.0 Web Sale Prices

As far as locks go, check out ones made by Abus

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Check groupme if you're on it:sas2:
shyt I just saw what you're talking about. I've been to their social events after rides, but usually the girls aren't that social or most of the people are cliqued up. An out of town trip would be lit tho and I could just holler at the locals after rides. :ehh:.

I told myself I'm laying off the socializing until Covid dips but we'll see...