Official Coli Bike/Cycling thread

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Currently reading this:
41gTgSVd6bL._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Basically he explores his experiences dipping his toes into winter riding in Canada. The author used to (currently?) write for a newspaper so it's easy to read.

i'll check it out:ld:

Code:
https://anonfiles.com/hch0KdB6x1/

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm 3d printing some parts and shyt for my bike.

I could buy them but then I have to worry about if I don't like the fit and such.

I want a universal cup holder that connects to my handlebar stem and a back light holder for my pannier rack.

So I found some 3d print files that are exactly what I want and in about 1hr and 30 minutes I can try them out.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was looking at some new bags for my pannier rack and my edc bag which I use anyway will fit on the rack and not shuffle around.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I'm 3d printing some parts and shyt for my bike.

I could buy them but then I have to worry about if I don't like the fit and such.

I want a universal cup holder that connects to my handlebar stem and a back light holder for my pannier rack.

So I found some 3d print files that are exactly what I want and in about 1hr and 30 minutes I can try them out.

link to the files?

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How's the Raleigh treating you?
Did a 30 mile ride earlier this week and I'm still on the fence about it.
  1. The vintage brake levers are too wide to easily grip (and don't have any obvious way of altering that I can find outside of buying suicide levers or new brake levers entirely). I don't trust that I'll confidently grab the levers during a last-second braking situation, which feels like a deal breaker.
  2. Might be quirks of downtube shifting/an older bike, but gearshifting in general is 'off':
    1. When approaching a hill, I typically build momentum in my top gear and then ease up on my pedaling to downshift before the incline. With this bike, even after laying off the pedaling, when I adjust gears via the downtube shifters it doesn't always register with an actual gear shift... At this point tho, I've already committed to the hill, so I'm fukked either way. What usually happens is that I have to commit to power pedaling uphill in a high gear, but midway through the hill, my gear change finally registers. Since I'm driving through my pedals to compensate for being in a high gear tho,the gear shift is brutal and likely destroying my chain. There are times when the mid-hill gear shift doesn't happen, but since I envision it happening now, I timidly pedal up the entire hill, slow AF.
    2. I've realized that I can force the bike to downshift if I skip gears. The fact that this happens is probably an issue in itself, but here's how it works: let's say 10 is my highest gear. If I move the downtube shifter to a '9' or an '8', typically nothing happens, but if I shift it from '10' -> '7', then the bike switches to a '9' and then I have to quickly align my downshifter to actually be at '9' so that it doen't randomly downshift as I pedal like described in the prior bulletpoint.
  3. I watched a video from a dope YT bike mechanic that discussed modernizing vintage frames. It made me realize that altho I don't want to spend extra for a namebrand that the spandexed crowd loves, I don't want to be digging in crates for bike parts either. As of right now, the gears and brakes are not where I'd like them to be, but there's a chance that the alterations I make will be limited/customized to account for a vintage frame which will potentially lead to more expensive costs anwyays.
I am going to send an email to the bike shop basically copy/pasting what I typed above. My hope is that my refurb'd Raleigh has been sititng unused for a while and that the gear situation is fixable via a tune up. The brake levers could be a dealbreaker though so I may end up getting store credit towards a (more modern) refurb or just bite the bullet and buy new and put the $300(!) store credit towards a few years of tuneups.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
  1. The vintage brake levers are too wide to easily grip (and don't have any obvious way of altering that I can find). I don't trust that I'll confidently grab the levers during a last-second braking situation, which feels like a deal breaker.
  2. Might be quirks of downtube shifting/an older bike, but gearshifting in general is 'off':
    1. When approaching a hill, I typically build momentum in my top gear and then ease up on my pedaling to downshift before the incline. With this bike, even after laying off the pedaling, when I adjust gears via the downtube shifters it doesn't always register with an actual gear shift... At this point tho, I've already committed to the hill, so I'm fukked either way. What usually happens is that I have to commit to power pedaling uphill in a high gear, but midway through the hill, my gear change finally registers. Since I'm driving through my pedals to compensate for being in a high gear tho,the gear shift is brutal and likely destroying my chain. There are times when the mid-hill gear shift doesn't happen, but since I envision it happening now, I timidly pedal up the entire hill, slow AF.
    2. I've realized that I can force the bike to downshift if I skip gears. The fact that this happens is probably an issue in itself, but here's how it works: let's say 10 is my highest gear. If I move the downtube shifter to a '9' or an '8', typically nothing happens, but if I shift it from '10' -> '7', then the bike switches to a '9' and then I have to quickly align my downshifter to actually be at '9' so that it doen't randomly downshift as I pedal like described in the prior bulletpoint.
  3. I watched a video from a dope YT bike mechanic that discussed modernizing vintage frames. It made me realize that altho I don't want to spend extra for a namebrand that the spandexed crowd loves, I don't want to be digging in crates for bike parts either. As of right now, the gears and brakes are not where I'd like them to be, but there's a chance that the alterations I make will be limited/customized to account for a vintage frame which will potentially lead to more expensive costs anwyays.
I am going to send an email to the bike shop basically copy/pasting what I typed above. My hope is that my refurb'd Raleigh has been sititng unused for a while and that the gear situation is fixable via a tune up. The brake levers could be a dealbreaker though so I may end up getting store credit towards a (more modern) refurb or just bite the bullet and buy new and put the $300(!) store credit towards a few years of tuneups.

I feel that. There's no easy way to retrofit a regular shift kit onto your handlebars? You'll get used to the brake hoods if you ride it for long enough, but one thing I did that made a world of difference was to add a cross-lever to my tops. It's real easy to do. They say that the front brakes give the best stopping power, but if you go this route connect it to the back one so that you don't go over your handlebars in an emergency lol

Ms7EkGfl.jpg

Maybe try and sell it for what you paid for it and see if you can get something used, but a little more modern?

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
  1. The vintage brake levers are too wide to easily grip (and don't have any obvious way of altering that I can find outside of buying suicide levers or new brake levers entirely). I don't trust that I'll confidently grab the levers during a last-second braking situation, which feels like a deal breaker.

Damn I think I posted in the bike thread how I snapped my deraileur hanger on a killer hill. Was a simple fixed once I ordered the part which wasn't expensive. And I had a spare bike. Be careful downshifting going up hill.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel that. There's no easy way to retrofit a regular shift kit onto your handlebars?
Tbh, outside of the initial learning curve, I'm not opposed to downtube shifters. I think my main priority is figuring out whether my issues stem from this bike needing a tuneup or just vintage bikes in general.

One thing I did that made a world of difference was to add a cross-lever to my tops. It's real easy to do. They say that the front brakes give the best stopping power, but if you go this route connect it to the back one so that you don't go over your handlebars in an emergency lol
Lol. I might look into this as a backup. I probably would be more inclined to do customizations if I had already ridden the bike for a year or I got it for cheaper, but it's too new (to me anyways) for me to be investing more $$$ in it so soon.

You'll get used to the brake hoods if you ride it for long enough, but one thing I did that made a world of difference was to add a cross-lever to my tops. It's real easy to do.
Sorry I should probably elaborate more here. I am used to riding in the hoods now, but the brake levers are too large to easily/quickly grip. I can only get my fingertips of my fully outstretched hand on the brakes. Here are examples.

Maybe try and sell it for what you paid for it and see if you can get something used, but a little more modern?
Yeah this is still an option. I sent an email to the bike shop after my last post and will see what they say. I will loop you in again if I decide to get a different bike and have a few contenders to choose from.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Tbh, outside of the initial learning curve, I'm not opposed to downtube shifters. I think my main priority is figuring out whether my issues stem from this bike needing a tuneup or just vintage bikes in general.

Lol. I might look into this as a backup. I probably would be more inclined to do customizations if I had already ridden the bike for a year or I got it for cheaper, but it's too new (to me anyways) for me to be investing more $$$ in it so soon.

Sorry I should probably elaborate more here. I am used to riding in the hoods now, but the brake levers are too large to easily/quickly grip. I can only get my fingertips of my fully outstretched hand on the brakes. Here are examples.

Yeah this is still an option. I sent an email to the bike shop after my last post and will see what they say. I will loop you in again if I decide to get a different bike and have a few contenders to choose from.

sucks that it’s not working out that great. I guess that windsor could still be an option if you can recoup your money on that Raleigh, but i don’t think you’ll be as happy with it in the long term. I assume the components are original to the bike? If so, that’s probably where the issue is as more modern designed ones are much more precise when it comes to how they engage mechanically. A more thorough tune up could possibly get you some gains, but i still don’t think it’d be comparable to something that’s newer. I just don’t think the tolerances will ever be as exact.