Official Candyman Thread

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Get your panties out of your ass. Yes, Monkeypaw was behind the production. Yes, Peele is well-known and it was a smart marketing move attaching an Oscar-winner’s name in front of the film, but DaCosta was the one driving the ultimate creative decisions as the director at the end of the day. It’s also not like Peele was the sole producer of this film like you’re saying either, he co-produced.

This feels like deja-vu all over again with The Nightmare Before Christmas and Tim Burton.

Tim Burton had nothing to do with that film at all besides sayin "yay or nay" to his buddy that directed and put it in all the work for that movie. Burton was too busy directing batman returns. Burton didnt write, direct, draw nothing.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Get your panties out of your ass. Yes, Monkeypaw was behind the production. Yes, Peele is well-known and it was a smart marketing move attaching an Oscar-winner’s name in front of the film, but DaCosta was the one driving the ultimate creative decisions as the director at the end of the day. It’s also not like Peele was the sole producer of this film like you’re saying either, he co-produced.

This feels like deja-vu all over again with The Nightmare Before Christmas and Tim Burton.
We'll agree to disagree. Even if we go by your definition and interpretation, he still has to stop attaching his name to weak shyt. And most times the director gets the props but isn't the one quarterbacking and in charge of an entire project. You're putting this film entirely on DaCosta? :gucci:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There got to be a directors cut of that 2021 version. Obvious that a bunch of scenes were cut out.

We need that asap:francis:

I still really enjoyed this movie. Not sure what the overall reception was. Ill go back and read through some of these comments. But the only flaw for me is I would have like a little more length. Certain things couldve been a little more drawn out. I wouldve liked to see the protaganist discover his connection through research. Or maybe have him learn it early on. Wasnt enough time or story for me to really connect with the lead. To have me ultimately feel horrible for him in the end. I think that wouldve taken this movie up a notch.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
We need that asap:francis:

I still really enjoyed this movie. Not sure what the overall reception was. Ill go back and read through some of these comments. But the only flaw for me is I would have like a little more length. Certain things couldve been a little more drawn out. I wouldve liked to see the protaganist discover his connection through research. Or maybe have him learn it early on. Wasnt enough time or story for me to really connect with the lead. To have me ultimately feel horrible for him in the end. I think that wouldve taken this movie up a notch.

I agree, the movie was building up great too and then that rushed third act just abruptly ends the movie.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Agree with the take, this was really good, and great acting/characters, up until the reveal that Anthony was the baby. Then they rushed the end, I would’ve liked a little more exploration of that. I’d be in for a sequel to this but did it do well enough or get enough praise for someone to greenlight part 2?

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Agree with the take, this was really good, and great acting/characters, up until the reveal that Anthony was the baby. Then they rushed the end, I would’ve liked a little more exploration of that. I’d be in for a sequel to this but did it do well enough or get enough praise for someone to greenlight part 2?
There's a ton of deleted stuff apparently but no word on a sequel so that's probably it:francis:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I am probably the last person to see this movie but I agree with some of the criticism here, all style and no substance.
The way the kills were shot was amazing.

The gay dude was so unnecessary.:beli:
The laundry mat guy, why did he start acting crazy?
It was heavy handed.
Unpopular opinion, I don't give a fukk, but Yahya is not a good actor even though he went acting school.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Just watched it a few days ago. The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. It's more like a prequel to a sequel. It plays a lot on the concept that folklore changes over time. Did the story of Candyman get gentrified to Helen's story or were people so afraid of Candyman, they used Helen as a proxy to discuss him? If you remember in the first movie, there was a drug dealer who carried a hook, calling himself the Candyman. He gave Helen a black eye and was arrested. Yet, Burke gave a different account. Yet all these false tales still manifested themselves. I'm surprised the tale didn't turn into saying Helen's name 5 times.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Just watched it a few days ago. The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. It's more like a prequel to a sequel. It plays a lot on the concept that folklore changes over time. Did the story of Candyman get gentrified to Helen's story or were people so afraid of Candyman, they used Helen as a proxy to discuss him? If you remember in the first movie, there was a drug dealer who carried a hook, calling himself the Candyman. He gave Helen a black eye and was arrested. Yet, Burke gave a different account. Yet all these false tales still manifested themselves. I'm surprised the tale didn't turn into saying Helen's name 5 times.

Back in 93 at a horror convention, Tony said that he hated that ending and that was not suppose to be original one. If i can find the video on youtube I will post it.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Back in 93 at a horror convention, Tony said that he hated that ending and that was not suppose to be original one. If i can find the video on youtube I will post it.
Even to 1990s eyes, that ending looked tacked on. So I'm not surprised Tony Todd hated it.

I never visited Cabrini Green, but did visit the Robert Taylor homes, which was very similar and I noticed how on two different occasions there were shots in the new film of the main character in these short and narrow hallways that were very reminiscent of those in Cabrini Green and The Robert Taylor homes.

White folks really hated this new movie. Tons of comments like "Too much social commentary...".