doublex

Pro
Daps
Boyega's eating good. He's probably gonna get an Oscar nod for 'Detroit' , plus he's starring in the Pacific Rim sequel( that his company helped produce) not to mention Finn could redeem himself in the upcoming films.

John is already preparing for life after Star Wars and is actually getting LEAD roles in upcoming major films.

I like Boyega and I'm looking forward to supporting him in his other movies. And I don't think he should be blamed for how Finn turned out: He's already admitted he wasn't allowed to read the script until after he signed on the dotted line, and if any up-and-coming actor says they would've turned down the opportunity to get exposure in a Star Wars film, they're lying.

But that character amounted to nothing more than a racist joke and looks even more glaringly anachronistic when held up in comparison to the great black characters shaping up to take center stage in Black Panther.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I like Boyega and I'm looking forward to supporting him in his other movies. And I don't think he should be blamed for how Finn turned out: He's already admitted he wasn't allowed to read the script until after he signed on the dotted line, and if any up-and-coming actor says they would've turned down the opportunity to get exposure in a Star Wars film, they're lying.

But that character amounted to nothing more than a racist joke and looks even more glaringly anachronistic when held up in comparison to the great black characters shaping up to take center stage in Black Panther.
Agreed.

I will say that, altho it's a different umbrella, Disney has done a decent job of course correcting certain things like making Falcon more of a leader in CA:CW compared to CA:TWS where they were too heavy-handed in making him act like the inferior side-kick. And also with how they completely revamped the Avengers roster by the end of the second Avengers movie, after the criticism that followed about the all cac-fest that was Avengers 1. And now all the black women love interests after woc became a glaring omission from MCU.

Boyega and Disney are well aware of the criticisms that Finn got, so it'll be interesting what course correcting (if any) they do in the next film. I imagine they aren't going to have him drinking from the same mucus infested water container as an alien pig again :mjpls: for laughs :mjpls:

doublex

Pro
Daps
Agreed.

I will say that, altho it's a different umbrella, Disney has done a decent job of course correcting certain things like making Falcon more of a leader in CA:CW compared to CA:TWS where they were too heavy-handed in making him act like the inferior side-kick. And also with how they completely revamped the Avengers roster by the end of the second Avengers movie, after the criticism that followed about the all cac-fest that was Avengers 1. And now all the black women love interests after woc became a glaring omission from MCU.

Boyega and Disney are well aware of the criticisms that Finn got, so it'll be interesting what course correcting (if any) they do in the next film. I imagine they aren't going to have him drinking from the same mucus infested water container as an alien pig again :mjpls: for laughs :mjpls:

I don't have any faith that Lucasfilm will fix Finn in the sequels because they've made it clear that their only priority is pleasing white women.

But it's not like Boyega can drop out now without destroying his career and getting sued into bankruptcy. So if they decide to keep making him the butt of the joke, he'll have to play along.

However, you can tell he's already learned an important lesson from the experience. He's being more careful about choosing movies where he has some control over his character's direction. I bet the Finn fiasco is a major reason why he's producing Pacific Rim, and you can already tell he's making sure this new character has more dignity:

3180223-prmset02-0006.jpg
star13.gif

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I still think most of us that dislike Finn wouldn't be as upset if Disney hadn't done that blatant bait and switch. The majority of the Marketing was Finn with the Ligihtsaber, most black folks were hyped JUST to see a Black Jedi, but it turned out all the cool scenes with Finn were in the fukking trailers.

doublex

Pro
Daps
I still think most of us that dislike Finn wouldn't be as upset if Disney hadn't done that blatant bait and switch. The majority of the Marketing was Finn with the Ligihtsaber, most black folks were hyped JUST to see a Black Jedi, but it turned out all the cool scenes with Finn were in the fukking trailers.

The marketing showed they don't give a f*** if they disappoint black fans (could you imagine them pulling the same bait and switch on white women? Neither can I), but Finn would still come off as a shockingly outdated buffonish black sidekick either way.

He's not allowed to be smart (Rey's the engineering genius while Finn can't tell a wrench from a hole in the ground), he's not allowed to be strong (loses all fights), and he's the butt of every joke.

At least the black sidekicks in Marvel (Falcon, War Machine) aren't demeaned for laughs.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
The marketing showed they don't give a f*** if they disappoint black fans (could you imagine them pulling the same bait and switch on white women? Neither can I), but Finn would still come off as a shockingly outdated buffonish black sidekick either way.

He's not allowed to be smart (Rey's the engineering genius while Finn can't tell a wrench from a hole in the ground), he's not allowed to be strong (loses all fights), and he's the butt of every joke.

At least the black sidekicks in Marvel (Falcon, War Machine) aren't demeaned for laughs.

Eh, I think you're reaching. Finn was the moral center of that story. He started it all by defecting. I understand your complaints, but I think in an effort to critique Finn's characterization, you're dismissing some of the great things about his character. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, and honestly I still have hope they're playing the long game with his character arc.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Eh, I think you're reaching. Finn was the moral center of that story. He started it all by defecting. I understand your complaints, but I think in an effort to critique Finn's characterization, you're dismissing some of the great things about his character. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, and honestly I still have hope they're playing the long game with his character arc.

I won't address it in this thread anymore after this post (you can tag me in the relevant thread if you want to) but the director of the sequel has already confirmed that there is no long game and Lucasfilm is giving each director free reign to make up the story as they go along.

So no, there was no grand plan for Finn when they made him a janitor, or when they made him crawl in the mud with a pig, or when they gave him pratfall after pratfall. They just thought it would be funny.

Last edited: