Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
He was the deal wasn't made yet and Black Panther was always the third party to Iron Man and Cap. Once the Sony deal was made things were shifted.

From what I remember reading, Spidey was suppose to be in it first. But when the talks with Sony stalled, that's when Black Panther came into the picture.

Then the talks with Sony started again, but Marvel decided to keep BP around while adding Spidey.

EDIT: found a link with with quotes from the scriptwriters:

Captain America: Civil War Writers Discuss Spider-Man Negotiations

During a recent interview with Creative Screenwriter Magazine, Captain America: Civil War screenwriters Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus opened about what went into adding Spider-Man to the movie. According to McFeely, Spider-Man was “in and out all over the place” because they weren’t quite sure if they’d be able to use him. They knew that if they could use him, they wanted him to be part of the “splash panel” scene that McFeely described as such:

“From the very beginning, we knew if we called something Civil War we were going to have to pay off what we called the ‘splash panel,’ which is that seventeen-minute fight where everyone goes at it. It was incumbent upon us to try to fill that with as many heroes as we could without breaking it or forcing people in. We always had a little recruitment section where Tony would get somebody and Steve would get somebody and the rosters would fill organically.”

He went on to explain that Spider-Man was “always our first choice for that” due to Kevin Feige telling the duo that there was a chance Spider-Man could be available. Feige explained that conversations were going on with Sony, so McFeely and Markus added him in tentatively. There were times that it didn’t seem like such a sure thing, however, as McFeely explained:

“We had him in, and sometimes a month or two later Kevin would come back and say, ‘No, negotiations are not going quite as well. Don’t plan on him!’ [Laughs] I don’t know the exact date when corporate signed contracts with Sony, but it eventually led to some hard and fast choices later on.”

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
He was the deal wasn't made yet and Black Panther was always the third party to Iron Man and Cap. Once the Sony deal was made things were shifted.

Feige (and I get it, maybe its all bullshyt, but at the same time none of us have been in or be in them big brainstorming meetings so we can't really dispute it) said when they make these big plans or planned this movie. There was a script with Spidey in it and one without him. Even when the deal wasnt made they had already planned for it no different from how they planned for many other characters, some that already debuted and some that are on the way.

I mean the man said it himself in many interviews and yes one can be skeptical but at the end of the day there isnt any evidence to point without a shout of doubt thats not true. And given their track record of how they planned these phases out, I dont think its hard to believe

Martha

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
From what I remember reading, Spidey was suppose to be in it first. But when the talks with Sony stalled, that's when Black Panther came into the picture.

Then the talks with Sony started again, but Marvel decided to keep BP around while adding Spidey.

EDIT: found a link with with quotes from the scriptwriters:

So technically Black Panther was shoehorned:patrice:

Yes, I remember that article and interviews similar..... good find breh.:win:

Martha

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So technically Black Panther was shoehorned:patrice:

Yes, I remember that article and interviews similar..... good find breh.:win:

Martha

Somewhat, yea. To add on to my previous post:

How Spider-Man Totally Changed Black Panther's Role In Captain America: Civil War

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of sitting down with screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely during the Captain America: Civil War press day in Los Angeles, and it was during our conversation that they revealed how the characterization of Black Panther in the movie was affected by Spider-Man. As it turns out, the writers were toying around with putting the wall-crawler in the film long before Marvel finalized their deal with Sony Pictures for the character, and it was in preparation for things going south that they started playing with T’Challa’s place in the story and how far along he would be into the costumed hero game. Markus explained,

Originally, T'Challa and T'Chaka were just the representatives of Wakanda, sort of the voice of other countries in the world going, ‘You people are out of control,’ and then to be aggrieved by possible Bucky actions. Frankly, just not have him be Black Panther yet. He's getting his own movie, you know. He's the prince of a country! That's pretty good for a movie. Maybe we get to play with Spider-Man and all that.

When things maybe looked like we weren’t going to get Spider-Man, it was like, ‘Let's put the costume on that guy!’ And then he became so integral to the story as it evolved that once Spider-Man came back, we didn't take him out. So, it was a problem that created a really nice situation.

Because Spidey was unsure of being in the film, T'Challa went from having a small role like T'Chaka to being in full costume.

Low key, Marvel selling those movie rights way back when has been perhaps the biggest blessing in disguise for BP fans.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just heard of something called "Superheroes Decoded " charting the history of super heroes showing on the History Channel. The first part came on yesterday an talked about Batman,Spiderman, Superman. It comes again at 7, and part 2 comes on a 9. Black Panther is one of the heroes that is supposed to be spotlighted in part 2. Don't know how much he will be featured, but a heads up for the Panther fans

Part 2 examines “the American rebel and how sometimes being a hero means breaking the rules. From the beginning, superheroes like The X-Men, The Hulk, Black Panther, Iron Man, Luke Cage, and Wolverine have challenged authority and fought for outsiders, a battle that reflects the country’s most profound real-world divisions and struggles for justice. From their often controversial origins to recent resurgence in movies of today, these rebels redefine heroism for a new generation.”

from Deadline History’s ‘Superheroes Decoded’ Sets Dates; Docu Includes Stan Lee & Jon Favreau

Last edited: