Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
My Review is too big, so I have to split it into two parts.

PART 1

Without further ado, I present my Black Panther review.

Before I go into it, I want to say this from the jump because I see a lot of people tip toeing around it: Black Panther is CLEARLY the best Marvel movie to date in terms of acting, script, costume design, social commentary, and characters. Frankly, none of the others come close.

Winter Soldier, which has superior action and asks the questions of how much should we trust our government, and what is the cost of safety, is definitely a step or two below it in every other category.

Civil War, while more flawed than both, was the ultimate fan service package that introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man to the MCU while asking strong philosophical questions about the duty of the powerful and those who oversee them.

So, in my opinion, those are the 3 best Marvel movies, with the first Avengers and the Guardians movies being honorable mentions.

With that out of the way, this Black Panther review has a few very light Spoilers and is specifically for those who have already seen the movie, but I will put the heavy stuff in spoiler tags.

After seeing Black Panther, I wanted to step away from it before giving my thoughts with a review. I wanted time to reflect on it, discuss it with personal friends, and let that feeling of newness wash away so I can come through with the review as unbiased as possible.

But it's been 5 days now and I still can't stop thinking about this movie: How outstanding it is in every facet, how much it means to my people, and just how in love I am with the world Ryan Coogler brought to life.

Ryan had the daunting task of…

1. Making a superhero film that was digestible to the world as a whole so it would be profitable.

2. Making sure black people from all over the diaspora with wildly different views and life experiences would appreciate it.

3. Tactfully incorporating social commentary and coded language that speaks directly to black people, providing us with mind fruit that made us laugh, made us think, made us cry and gave us hope.

I'm happy to say that Ryan aced the exam with flying colors, and I couldn't be prouder to say I am a fan of his. I pray that I can paint pictures as vividly as him one day.

Black Panther at its core is about what Uncle Ben said to Peter Parker all those years ago - with great power comes great responsibility. What is the responsibility of black people who either have made it out of oppressive circumstances or perhaps avoided it all together? What is their duty to those of us who haven't?

Should we as black people be prideful about just the nations we represent, or the diaspora as a whole? Why is there such a disconnect between Africans who never left and the descendants of slaves (African Americans, Afro-Carribeans, etc), and can that relationship be repaired? Is the hatred that comes from being oppressed your entire life ever justifiable, and are those who challenge that arguably righteous rage heroes or villains?

The movie also explores the difficult decisions black fathers must make, and how they have long term ramifications on their children. Perhaps most obviously, the movie encapsulates exactly why black women are so strong, and why we as black men would be wise to listen to and cooperate with them as much as possible.

God bless the makeup, costume, and design team. Ruth Carter, queen, you are an absolute gem. That woman did the damn thing when it came to every costume in this movie. How every tribe had their own unique, gorgeous patterns and color schemes, how majestic and regal T'Challa looked throughout the film, how absolutely BAD ASS and beautiful the Dora Milaje was....smh...I love you, Ruth.

And Hannah Beachler, who's creative vision brought Wakanda to life. Is there anything else to say about how amazing she was? Wakanda was breath taking. My favorite sets were Warrior Falls and the Jabari's mountain keep. Utterly gorgeous.

I already bigged up Ryan as a director, but I now have to big him up again, along with co-writer Joe Robert Cole, for this absolutely masterful script. I mean damn, what is there to say? Passionate, heavy hitting, soul wrenching dialogue, timely humor that has actual weight to it (Example, how M'Baku's joke about eating Ross was a nod to the stereotype of African savagery and inhumanity...brilliant). Just wow, and that last line from Killmonger. If that doesn't hit your soul hard as a black person, as a human being in fact, I don't know what would.

I also want to big up Ludwin Gornansson for the incredible film score – right up there with The Avengers and Winter Soldier. That white boy did the damn thing. What impressed me most about this guy is the fact that he flew out to Africa to take in the culture and sound so he could create the best music possible for the movie. That says a lot about his character, so I appreciate him a lot.

Let's get into the actors/characters.

I want to start off by giving a huge big up to Chadwick Boseman. Chad was AMAZING in his lead role, and I just want to emphasize that first, because with all the (deserved) hype for MBJ's portrayal of Killmonger and Letitia Wright's portrayal of Shuri, I feel my man Chad isn't getting enough love. At the end of the day, he was the core of the movie, and every role he was asked to cover in a scene - whether it was joy, anger, heartbreak, or stoicism - he absolutely hit a grand slam. Black Panther, who was introduced in Civil War, isn't the shiny new toy anymore. We already know who he is, so it's natural that people will gravitate towards new aspects like Shuri, Killmonger and M'Baku, but my man did his thing, and was arguably the best actor in this movie. This movie was all about how T'Challa would differentiate from his father and be his own king, and I can't wait to see where the character goes next.

Michael B. Jordan, my guy, wow. I actually grew up watching MBJ on a soap opera called All My Children with my momma. To see him go from that scrawny little kid just trying to get his big break in Hollywood to the talk of the movie world right now is one of personal pride, especially because he grew up right here in Newark, New Jersey. An inspiration to me, to be sure.

MBJ was asked to channel the rage of the oppressed, disenfranchised, and abandoned black people all over the world and use it to portray a villain that was wicked and violent, but also worthy of empathy. He did that and more. I see a lot of people saying that Killmonger was really the hero, which is patently ridiculous and somewhat sociopathic: he nearly strangled an elderly woman for merely questioning him, he killed droves of his own people (including his lover who supported him devoutly), and his plans would destroy thousands, if not millions of people. With that said, there was heaps of truth in almost everything he said, and the fact that his views had enough of a lasting impact on T’Challa that it influenced him to change Wakanda’s views on diplomacy and use its resources to help black people around the world shows exactly why some see him as a hero to begin with. That’s the power of a good script and some damn good acting.

Is there a more perfect display of black beauty than Lupita Nyong’o? Maybe there is, but after leaving the theater, I was firmly convinced that there is no woman more beautiful in the world. While I love all of our queens of all shades and sizes, it was important for T’Challa’s love interest to represent dark skin beauty. No implied mixes to “help” with the beauty, no features that in any way reflects the damaging standards of beauty that the west created to propel their children “above us” while leaving the oppressed to question the features God gave us. It was important that beauty was represented through her, and she wasn’t just a really pretty face – she knocked her portrayal out of the park. She was strong, but gentle, fearless but emotional. She really embodied the grace, power and beauty of black women. We all want Storm to be a part of this eventually, but after seeing Nakia and T’Challa together, maybe that inclusion would be best implemented in the platonic sense.

Letitia Wright’s portrayal of Shuri was everything I imagined it to be in more. She brought a charm, wit, humor and grace that no one else could match, and was a real scene stealer. Her relationship with T’Challa was a beautiful brother/sister dynamic. Most importantly, she was the smartest person in the room, and words cannot express how her essential role to Wakanda will inspire young black girls everywhere. I adore her, and I can’t wait to see her in Infinity War taking the fight to all the “colonizers”.

Danai Gurira is probably the best thing about the Walking Dead, but the show doesn’t do her justice at all. She exuded more badassness and beauty in 2 hours of Black Panther as Okoye, the General of the Dora Milaje, than she ever did in 4 seasons of that show. I notice that she was the favorite of most black women I talked with. Can you blame them? Tough as nails, magnificently pretty even in her baldness (The TWD producers really go out of their way to make her unattractive, I hate it), and arguably the best fighter in all of Wakanda. What’s not to love? Her character arc was really nice: through Okoye, they highlighted the flaw in devout loyalty to an idea rather than to people and her love for her man vs love for her country. Anyone peep the duality of her hatred for that wig she had to wear and how it speaks to the views some of us have towards hiding our natural features? Commentary through humor…again, Ryan and Joe did damn thing with this script.

Daniel Kaluwa did his thing as W’Kabi. While I consider his character arc the weakest part of the film
(he turned his back on T’Challa way too quickly IMO. Would have preferred if he was a traitor from the jump, or if we had about 10 more minutes of run time to explore how betrayed he felt by Wakanda’s ideologies)
, he was captivating in every scene he was in. I loved him, and he remains the master of the “side eye” lol. It was beautiful to me that what encouraged him to surrender wasn’t necessarily his love for Okoye, but looking around and seeing all these black men and women tearing each other apart. Symbolism…

The real MVP of this entire movie IMO was Winston Duke’s portrayal of M’Baku aka Man Ape. I mean, how lovable was this guy? Prideful and rude, but a good-hearted man deep down. I thought he was utterly captivating and both the funniest and most physically imposing character in the movie. I loved how, despite his tribe’s disconnect with Wakanda and his own wounded pride, he did the right thing when it mattered most. LOVED this character. My mom loves him for entirely different reasons. Stop drooling, mom.

Angela Bassett’s role as Ramonda and Forrest Whittaker’s role as Zuri were both magnificent. Would have loved for both of them to get more screen time, but Angela embodied a black mother’s love (which was important to include) and Forest did a great job of displaying Zuri’s wisdom, as well as regret over his foolishness.

Andy Serkis was magnetic as Klaue and served his purpose to a T. His cybernetic arm was awesome, and the chase scene he was a part of was one of the film’s highlights. Everything Serkis does, he gives his all too.
I’m a little sad Klaue died to be honest.

Martin Freeman’s expressions were gold, as he took in Wakanda with a child-like wander that would exactly how I reacted to seeing it. He played well off the other characters, never doing too much, but adding his veteran presence.
I was glad he didn’t die.

Before I wrap up this review, can I give a quick shout out to Sterling K. Brown’s 3 minutes or so as N’Jobu, the brother of T’Chaka? This guy is a brilliant actor who sold you completely in his motivations for
betraying his homeland
, and was as seamless in his faux-Oakland accent as he was speaking Wakandan tongue. Don’t think I’ll ever be watching “This Is Us”, but I do hope this brother has something soon that I can rock with. Jon Stewart (Green Lantern) maybe?

PART 2

Final score? A 10/10 of course! No movie is perfect, but this one is as close as it gets. Bravo to all involved. Can’t wait to see it again Sunday, and I already pre-ordered the blu ray!

Acting - A+
Writing - A+
Depth - A+
Action - B
Set/Costume Design - A+
Score - A+
CGI - B

My man!:myman: Yeah, this essentially like 99% of my feelings/review of the movie as well. My only difference is what you said about in that
He didn't really turn quick when you think about it. Klaw killed his father almost 30 years ago, which akin to Killmonger's reason for vengeance as well, has sat within him that whole time. Plus, unlike Killmonger, W'Kabi actually had the promise of his own best friend to be responsible for his capture/demise, but was once again let down with that (to which he also felt betrayed with), on top of Killmonger being the one to ultimately grant him that lifelong request sated.

The other side of it too, was also like Killmonger, W'Kabi already expressed interest in cleansing the rest of the world as well. W'Kabi and Killmonger have quite a bit in common, which is why he sided with him and main difference really is that at least W'Kabi still grew up with his true home, with family and friends around him, so that his vengeful hate didn't truly overcome him the way it did Killmonger. His was more a temporary lapse in it for good reasons. But love and honor for his woman and even more importantly, the overall well being of his country and brothers & sisters put his moral compass back on the right track. I definitely would have liked for that scene of him talking with Okoye about their differences about all that as well, but the movie shed enough info on it w/o it being undercooked.
And I think Kaluya played the part very nuanced and incognito superbly. Everyone riding high on the more dynamic performances, mainly in MBJ's (which, while great, I honestly feel like several did better and that it's more the writing and character than his acting that got folks so infatuated in his role), but honestly, I believe Chadwick and Sterling did the greatest overall, with Kaluya, Danai, Letitia and Winston being next, in that order. I want to see much more from the latter two in future movies too. Such fine acting across the board tho.

Last edited:

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
Hi Res Killmonger suit :whew:
7856aizxdth01.jpg

My bad if posted already.

:wow:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
@Versa excellent review for the film :salute:. Do you write movie reviews anywhere else? You hit just about every point that needed to be made. Where’d you learn that the opening narration was MBJ being told the stories as a kid? Yeah the film seemed layered on just about everything with a hidden message that didn’t require too much digging but managed to tell things in a way that doesn’t obnoxiously make a point that takes you out of the film (here’s looking at you last Jedi :stopitslime: ). @Merc made a great point too that the film never felt like it was trying to push merchandise or that it even crossed Coogler’s mind when creating it. The shot taken at @Groot was unnecessary though :ufdup:. Great points otherwise.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Came out of that movie last night having a crush on her she was looking GOODT in the movie :whew:.

Amazing movie, I like how almost every character learned from each other, well except Klaw, that motherfukker was crazy. Is Killmonger one of the least evil villains ever? Not in a bad way but his message was not bad in any way, shape, or form.
Dummy was talking about "oh she looks homely" and "Her arms long as hell it reaches her kneecaps!" :camby:

She even threw a shot at Lupita saying she's "a lil better but ..".

tenor.gif

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I said it. Nate Parker, but again that never would have happened or if it did could have destroyed some of the good will for the film. He still would have been great though.
nate-parker-the-birth-of-a-nation-trailer.jpg

Also think the other actor from that film Colman Domingo would be somebody worth getting in the sequel.

The-Birth-of-a-Nation-4-Gabrielle-Union-and-Colman-Domingo.jpg
The-Birth-of-a-Nation-4-Gabrielle-Union-and-Colman-Domingo.jpg

I see.....Breh would've been perfect:ehh:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I see.....Breh would've been perfect:ehh:
Again this is why I think MBJ was the perfect choice for Coogler's version he was going for. Cause with his version you can see how his anger consumes him and leads him to failure. I can see how his impatience would get the best of him. MBJ fits the boy that was warped from his father's murder.

With Nate I think even more would have felt he was the hero. :jbhmm::pachaha:(if he was in the movie and there were no allegations)

So it all worked out.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Finally saw it yesterday. Movie deserves all the superlatives its been given and then some. An absolute treat to watch that had me legit crying in parts that werent necessarily emotional but just because it was beautiful to see. Lupita the wifey :mjgrin:.....oh and Killmonger GOAT but M'baku might have been the pippen to his jordan. dude was great in the film, hope he gets more work.