Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Good points but dude is a principal and basically retired being a super hero
He only came back because his daughters were snatched

My point is why is that even the character in the first place? Every other CW superhero is in their prime and saving 1000s of lives every other episode. There's no reason why BL shouldn't be the same. I wanna see a 20-something year old Black man worried about stopping the galaxy from folding in on itself or some shyt like every other superhero show, not a 40-something year old principal trying to do right for his family and community who just so happens to have powers. The premise makes for a good TV show, possibly the best out of all the CW shows, but not a good *superhero* TV show, if that makes sense.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's fantastic. But that reads like a family drama, not a superhero show. Why can't breh be a scientist in his mid-20s who saves his city from superpowered villains from multiple dimensions? Or be a 30-something year old millionaire who comes back from the dead and stops assassin syndicates from literally blowing up his city? Why the nikka superhero gotta be the community role model and fight local drug dealers?

It IS a family drama. This isn't about one individual superhero. This is the origin story of Anissa and Jennifer and them becoming Thunder and Lightning. That's why Anissa was narrating and said this is the beginning of HER story and referred to herself and her sister in 3rd person as Thunder and Lightning as witnesses. The show is the development of a family with superpowers.

2nd of all all, how Peter Parker/ Fantastic Four cliche is it to have a young scientist with powers or MORE cliche a billionaire who's alter-ego is a crimefighting superhero? How many SEASONS of Arrow where they repeat the whole entire city is in danger narrative?

And what's wrong having a black man active in his community WITHOUT even needing his powers to do so.

You want more of the same.

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
Cress Williams performance fits and works BETTER than Colter's. It makes more sense is how he speaks considering he's a principal/educator and verbal activist. So how he presents himself as Jefferson Pierce as being very eloquent and highly educated makes more sense since that's HIS profession.

Luke Cage on the other hand is a goon with powers with no educational requisites in his background. But because he came out 1st, I get your argument just want to state for this character it makes more sense considering his background and how he raised his own children.

Fair point breh, didn’t view it from that angle :obama:

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
It IS a family drama. This isn't about one individual superhero. This is the origin story of Anissa and Jennifer and them becoming Thunder and Lightning. That's why Anissa was narrating and said this is the beginning of HER story and referred to herself and her sister in 3rd person as Thunder and Lightning as witnesses. The show is the development of a family with superpowers.

2nd of all all, how Peter Parker/ Fantastic Four cliche is it to have a young scientist with powers or MORE cliche a billionaire who's alter-ego is a crimefighting superhero? How many SEASONS of Arrow where they repeat the whole entire city is in danger narrative?

And what's wrong having a black man active in his community WITHOUT even needing his powers to do so.

You want more of the same.

Yeah, I do :yeshrug:

It's a show based on comic books and I would've liked it to be a primarily a comic book show instead of a family drama. Yeah, that means saving the city from being blown up every other day because that's what superheroes do. I love family dramas and will be watching this as such, but I feel like I will be unfulfilled on the comic book side plot-wise with him taking down a crime boss with no real villainous aspirations (so far). He's basically Daredevil fighting Kingpin to save Hell's Kitchen when he should have the power to be much more than that.

I love seeing a positive Black man helping his community. We need more of that on TV. But that's not what I'm watching superhero TV for. Imagine if the Flash had Barry Allen really being a forensic scientist studying crime scenes like a regular guy most of the time and he just turned on the superspeed to take out a corrupt cop or mob boss or something :francis: if the show can exist without the protagonist using his powers/skills then it's not a good *superhero* show even if it's a great show overall, which I think BL will be.

Definitely didn't know/grasp the whole family of superheroes concept though, which does change my view on it somewhat :ohhh:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My point is why is that even the character in the first place? Every other CW superhero is in their prime and saving 1000s of lives every other episode. There's no reason why BL shouldn't be the same. I wanna see a 20-something year old Black man worried about stopping the galaxy from folding in on itself or some shyt like every other superhero show, not a 40-something year old principal trying to do right for his family and community who just so happens to have powers. The premise makes for a good TV show, possibly the best out of all the CW shows, but not a good *superhero* TV show, if that makes sense.
I like the retired superhero premise more. IMO, it's more interesting definitely now that I'm in my thirties

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
full