Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
:ohhh:

I've never seen Lean on Me, but the whole "Tough Principal Who Cares" business reminded me of the trailer

For about half a second, I thought that WAS Charlie Murphy. Then I remembered what he looked like when I last saw him on Power :mjcry:

HOLD UP, PAUSE THIS THREAD FOR A MINUTE!
Breh, you need to watch Lean On Me. It really is a good movie, and you owe it to yourself to see it. Morgan Freeman & Robert Guillome nailed their performances. #ClassicMovie

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
need pics of these fine queens :ohlawd:

They're all beautiful

nm0010837.jpg

nafessa-williams-at-bet-awards-2017-in-los-angeles-06-25-2017_1.jpg

china-denim-jacket.jpg

DT4ZgraWkAAETtb.jpg

It's really nice to see a black show where the women are brown/dark skin.

Last edited:

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
If that spoiler about the older daughter is what I think it is, then it’s not really a spoiler since they confirmed it a while back.

Okocha

All Star
Daps
It looks like I'm gonna have to give this show a pass, agenda is real!

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
Caught up on this a couple days late, haven't read too many other opinions in the thread yet but my take summed up: they're trying a bit too hard!:francis:

1. Cress Williams performance felt like Mike Colter's Luke Cage; they both come across as actors with such eloquent speech, it seems like it's hard for them to drop it at times. Lines come across more like they're in a Shakespearean play, hard to buy the acting sometimes (as opposed to Diggle in Arrow, David Ramsey has his character on point!)

2. The whole "Ferguson"/black protests setting is a good attempt to bring some recent relevance but the way my man got hemmed up by the police and gave the whole "and what was the description officer!? A black man?!...in a suit..."etc etc felt a bit forced man!

3. The super suit.......:comeon: and that taking down the bad guy's scene....:stopitslime:

4. I don't have an issue with his "tailor". Some might see him as another "black hero can't do it without a white man's help" but I see him as more of an Alfred to his Batman. Plus I like that actor in other things I've seen him in.

Major positives - the female characters! Yeah it's an all black cast, but the females all come across as strong characters already, for various reasons.......and they all fine too:takedat:

Overall wasn't a great watch for me, but I'ma give it another couple episodes outta hoping the story gets better - would be good to have some more solid black characters woven in to the CW universe

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Caught up on this a couple days late, haven't read too many other opinions in the thread yet but my take summed up: they're trying a bit too hard!:francis:

1. Cress Williams performance felt like Mike Colter's Luke Cage; they both come across as actors with such eloquent speech, it seems like it's hard for them to drop it at times. Lines come across more like they're in a Shakespearean play, hard to buy the acting sometimes (as opposed to Diggle in Arrow, David Ramsey has his character on point!)

2. The whole "Ferguson"/black protests setting is a good attempt to bring some recent relevance but the way my man got hemmed up by the police and gave the whole "and what was the description officer!? A black man?!...in a suit..."etc etc felt a bit forced man!

3. The super suit.......:comeon: and that taking down the bad guy's scene....:stopitslime:

4. I don't have an issue with his "tailor". Some might see him as another "black hero can't do it without a white man's help" but I see him as more of an Alfred to his Batman. Plus I like that actor in other things I've seen him in.

Major positives - the female characters! Yeah it's an all black cast, but the females all come across as strong characters already, for various reasons.......and they all fine too:takedat:

Overall wasn't a great watch for me, but I'ma give it another couple episodes outta hoping the story gets better - would be good to have some more solid black characters woven in to the CW universe

Cress Williams performance fits and works BETTER than Colter's. It makes more sense is how he speaks considering he's a principal/educator and verbal activist. So how he presents himself as Jefferson Pierce as being very eloquent and highly educated makes more sense since that's HIS profession.

Luke Cage on the other hand is a goon with powers with no educational requisites in his background. But because he came out 1st, I get your argument just want to state for this character it makes more sense considering his background and how he raised his own children.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
That's fantastic. But that reads like a family drama, not a superhero show. Why can't breh be a scientist in his mid-20s who saves his city from superpowered villains from multiple dimensions? Or be a 30-something year old millionaire who comes back from the dead and stops assassin syndicates from literally blowing up his city? Why the nikka superhero gotta be the community role model and fight local drug dealers?
Good points but dude is a principal and basically retired being a super hero
He only came back because his daughters were snatched

Last edited by a moderator: