Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
EXCLUSIVE: In a pairing that resembles a superhero team-up, I have learned that Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, has partnered with The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil for Black Lightning, a drama series based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden. I hear the project, from Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions, is currently being pitched to networks.

Written by the Akils, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Pierce aka Black Lightning was one of DC Comics’ first major African American superheroes, making his debut in 1977. In the books, Jefferson has two daughters, both of whom have followed in his superhero footsteps — Anissa Pierce aka Thunder, who is a member of the Outsiders, and Jennifer Pierce, aka Lightning, recruited by the Justice Society of America.

On TV, Black Lightning is looking to join another black superhero who toplines his own series, Marvel’s Luke Cage on Netflix.

While it’s being taken out now, a Black Lightningseries had been in the works at WBTV for well over a year, going through different incarnations as the studio has taken its time to get the take right.

‘Black Lightning’ DC Superhero Series In Works From Greg Berlanti, Mara Brock Akil & Salim Akil

I'm not up on Black Lightning but I'm sure someone can school me real quick

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
It's berlanti breh. I know they're shopping it but I'm pretty sure CW has first dibs at least and since his track record with them is .1000 right now, they'll want it

Ugggh im tired of the fukking CW :mindblown: they need to dfferentiate these shows. like Marvel has the agents of shield shyt on network and the harder mature shyt on netflix...

They gotta build a better brand to stand out more. the networks is just gonna neuter them. they cant even push the boundries..

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I wonder if Berlanti is just going to be the silent production partner and if the Akils will be spearheading this show creatively?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ugggh im tired of the fukking CW :mindblown: they need to dfferentiate these shows. like Marvel has the agents of shield shyt on network and the harder mature shyt on netflix...

They gotta build a better brand to stand out more. the networks is just gonna neuter them. they cant even push the boundries..

They got hit shows breh. I don't think they're too worried about that on the real. Having a hit show on a broadcast network is a big deal and no small feat. Like I hear what you're saying but this isn't a DC decision tho. It'll be up to whomever gives them the best deal and if CW does then they'd be foolish to say no.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
They got hit shows breh. I don't think they're too worried about that on the real. Having a hit show on a broadcast network is a big deal and no small feat. Like I hear what you're saying but this isn't a DC decision tho. It'll be up to whomever gives them the best deal and if CW does then they'd be foolish to say no.

The only hit show they got is The flash and maybe supergirl.... :heh: Arrow is fukking Dead.... :mjlol: and Legends of fukkery is ok...

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
It's berlanti breh. I know they're shopping it but I'm pretty sure CW has first dibs at least and since his track record with them is .1000 right now, they'll want it

they went out of their way thought to shop gotham, supergirl, titans and krypton to other networks...
You really don't want the CW to be ONLY DCTV.. but it comes down to 2 things..
1. other networks thinks it belongs on the CW because is DC and they wont bid
2. other network wants a piece of the action ...

I tend to think these networks wont it .. maybe SPIKE though

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The only hit show they got is The flash and maybe supergirl.... :heh: Arrow is fukking Dead.... :mjlol: and Legends of fukkery is ok...

Talking hits man I'm not talking quality. Arrow and flash do numbers for them. The coli perception and Internet perception isn't indicative of reality a lot of times and this is one of them. Legends does numbers for them as well and the assumption is that super girl will as well

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Talking hits man I'm not talking quality. Arrow and flash do numbers for them. The coli perception and Internet perception isn't indicative of reality a lot of times and this is one of them. Legends does numbers for them as well and the assumption is that super girl will as well

I know but Arrow has gone down the shytter tho... :heh:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I know but Arrow has gone down the shytter tho... :heh:

And yet people keep watching. Networks aren't worried about that type of shyt. They're worried about the bottom line. Let the creators worry about how the show is received by fans online and that kind of shyt. As a network, they look at profit thats it. No more no less. The show is one of their top earners and until its not that, they're not going to rock the boat. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying how it is