NY Lost! A New York Cop practically bought Brooklyn for Dirt Cheap

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Building must be worth over 480K now. Has to be a million.

How many units? More than 4?
Nah just 3 and it’s pretty banged up last time I was in nyc he was fixing it up. Said he hadn’t renovated it since the early 90s so it was definitely overdue.

Very well might be worth close to a mil now, that was almost 4 years ago last time I was out there

Last edited:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he invested in any major stock he would have the same amount of money. People seem to not understand inflation..

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
A lot of nikkas are clowns. Alot of street dudes was making $7,000 to $10,000 a month or more and buying nothing for the future. You could’ve bought half the houses in DC for peanuts back in the 80s. Today they’re all $750,000 and above. The sad thing is there’s just as many opportunities today and it’s gonna be a lot of broke nikkas 40 years from now who could’ve capitalized and didn’t have the foresight.

Most street dudes are young and not in the mindset of thinking of the future.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Not just black people. Everyone was pessimistic about those places from the 70s on. Think about movies like Taxi Driver and Escape From New York. In the 80s DC was seen as damn near third world.

That’s when buy something. When everyone thinks it’s a war zone or the worst investment. I promise you in another 20 to 30 years Chicago, Baltimore and Detroit will be great cities.

BlackBall

Superstar
Daps
real estate in those areas was dirt cheap 20-30 years ago. The appreciation was largely unforeseen

Shoog Shatmi

All Star
Daps
That’s when buy something. When everyone thinks it’s a war zone or the worst investment.
True. But it's easy to see that now. Back in the 70s there was no precedent for American cities going into major decline and then reviving.

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
Red Hook still isnt a great place to be in my opinion. Its isolated as fukk. I grew up here and still dont know how to get there without driving. They got an Ikea there, a nice park, and a massive housing project. Other than that i dont know whats down there

Is it true Doug E Fresh has a huge real estate portfolio? I grew up with a cop who supposedly knows him from working in Harlem and said Doug E is “the biggest landlord in Harlem” and was buying up brownstones and walkups for nothing in the 80s

I still cant believe people are buying houses in bed stuy for 2 million. I feel horrible for those people who had property passed to them and got themselves in dire straits financially and got finessed out of their homes for like 1/16th of what its worth. Its such a horrible situation. Jewish people in Brooklyn and Chinese people in Queens walking around with bags of money paying next to nothing in cash for home owners to leave. Its criminal

Last edited:

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m sure dude was not thinking bout being a millionaire when he bought those cribs in the 60s/70s. Luck of the draw :yeshrug:

My great uncle bought a apartment building on Pitkin right off Eastern Parkway in the late 70s for 85k. Last I spoke to him it’s worth 480k. He said he never would’ve thought it’d be worth that much 40 years ago
85k in 1970 is like $600k today with inflation.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Theres no way it's only 480k.
Like I said this was years ago and it was pretty busted up at the time. Roof was leaking badly, staircase to the upper units was falling apart. Units were torn up. That’s 25 years of renters since it’s last renovation/update.

I’m not asking my fam in BK how much it’s worth, what I look like pocket watching a 78 year old man :dame:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Did nobody read the article? Dude was a rich boy and they trying to make it seem like he was just some cop. Dude wasn't even working full time at the time. Then was gone by 81. It's still an amazing come up. But none of us are getting that type of money from mom and dad. I wish I would ask my folks to buy me some trash buildings in the hopes it would pan out in 40 years.

O’Connell couldn’t afford Manhattan, so he looked to Brooklyn. In 1967, with a loan from his parents, he bought his first property on Henry Street in Cobble Hill for $22,000. It’s now worth $2.5 million. After graduating from State University of New York, Geneseo in 1964, O’Connell became a substitute teacher during the day and a cop at night. He continued buying throughout Brooklyn while working for the police, becoming a narcotics detective and then a precinct detective before retiring in 1981 to focus on real estate.