Not All Peaceful: 13 Racist Quotes Gandhi Said About Black People

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
As a punjabi from India.. Ppl have mixed views of ghandi..

He is celebrated as a national hero by majority of the populations.. But his legacy left a mark on the northern region of Punjab (north India) it was split up into 2 regions and many lives were lost due to his influence and policy..

The poster a few post above dropped some great insights.. Most people forget the heroes we put up on pesitdals are just human. They had childhoods and growing pains. Dreams and aspirations just like everyone else.

Darwin had a sketchy past

So did malcom

So did Steve jobs

So did JFK

The list is endless..

I know it's hard to separate ppl from their acomplismemts

I'm not Punjabi, but I feel the same way. His intentions may have been good but they resulted in all types of fukkery. There's no reason the country should have been split the way it was.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This is the Gandhi you hate:

And more:

From The African Element in Gandhi, there is much more:

Besides his correspondence with W.E.B. DuBois, Gandhi also spoke quite positively of Booker T. Washington, John Tengo Jabavu, Marcus Garvey, Jomo Kenyatta, and Paul Robeson. He admired George Washington Carver and called him a genius, and the feeling was mutual. Langston Hughes followed Gandhi closely and wrote positively of him in his poetry. Gandhi was also a friend and admirer of John Dube, the first president of the African National Congress as well as S.S. Tema. Mandela writes:

There's more than a hundred pages of that stuff in that link - I could only quote a little bit. It thoroughly refutes the idea that Gandhi stayed racist as he matured, or that a few ignorant statments he made in his 20s should somehow define him for life.

Well now...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Ghandi didn't do shyt in India

Didn't some rebel group push the British out?

:snoop:

No.

I'm not Punjabi, but I feel the same way. His intentions may have been good but they resulted in all types of fukkery. There's no reason the country should have been split the way it was.

I'm having trouble seeing how Gandhi gets the blame for partition - that sounds revisionist to me. Of all the major Indian leaders of that time, he was the one who fought hardest against the idea of a split India. I would put Jinnah's Muslim League, Nehru's faction in Congress, and the specter of Hindu Nationalism as the greatest driving forces to eventual partition, in some order.

In June 1947, the nationalist leaders, including Nehru and Abul Kalam Azad on behalf of the Congress, Jinnah representing the Muslim League, B. R. Ambedkar representing the Untouchable community, and Master Tara Singh representing the Sikhs, agreed to a partition of the country along religious lines in stark opposition to Gandhi's views.

Probably the simplest guide available for those who don't know what we're talking about: Partition of India

Daps
Reppin
VOID
i get the sentiment with posting these comments

but just remember the short memory of history, we all have fell victim to

its no different than young black men in the hood rocking al capone and lucky luciano shirts and being obsessed with italian mafia flicks. those italians hated blacks just as much.
And Hov and Lil Kim had the nerve to go to John Gotti's trial...the same man who called black people "animals", "moolies", and poisoned their neighborhoods with drugs all while reaping the profits from them.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Black people always on some "forgive and forget" shyt.:snoop:
I really think that this is a result of

1) Stockholm Sydrome
2) Black people collectively realizing how much power other groups wield and wanting to stay in good graces with them.

Which (in regards to #2) is probably why the sentiment is not reciprocated cause they don't have much, if anything, to lose.

Mr swag

We Out Here
Daps
Reppin
The Well Respected Uptown,Virginia
:snoop:

No.

I'm having trouble seeing how Gandhi gets the blame for partition - that sounds revisionist to me. Of all the major Indian leaders of that time, he was the one who fought hardest against the idea of a split India. I would put Jinnah's Muslim League, Nehru's faction in Congress, and the specter of Hindu Nationalism as the greatest driving forces to eventual partition, in some order.

Probably the simplest guide available for those who don't know what we're talking about: Partition of India

So you think some Indian that said he wasn't going to eat 30 days made the British pack up their bags and leave? You can't be that stupid right?

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So you think some Indian that said he wasn't going to eat 30 days made the British pack up their bags and leave? You can't be that stupid right?

It was more marches like this one than fasting:

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
@Medicate :salute: You really hit a nerve with this one....:russ:. It's about time black people started being iconclastic towards the shyt they've peddled to blacks. Do Abraham Lincoln next! :lolbron:

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So people walking up and down the steet made them pack up and leave? If native Americans started walking up and down the street will white people back up their bags and leave also?

If not then What is the difference?

Well, one major difference is that Native Americans are now a tiny minority. In Gandhi's case, the Indians were the majority population in their own country, and the British were a small minority. When the Indians went on strike, or boycotted British products, or marched, or did civil disobedience, it had a massive effect.

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
So it's okay for you to claim that Gandhi was a pedo without the slightest bit of evidence that he ever, in any time in his life, was sexually attracted to children or had sexual relationships with children. But you won't accept clear documented evidence that he changed from his earlier racist thoughts?

Gandhi had really weird Hindu/Indian ideas about celibacy and purging himself from all sexual desire. His ideas about sexuality probably look as freaking weird on The Coli as the things that are shown and said on The Coli would look if you showed it to a bunch of 19th-century Indians. But going from "dude had freaking weird ideas about abstaining from sex" to "dude had sex with children" is quite a leap.

Already posted it - you miss it or just ignore it?

From the South African presidency on the 100th anniversary of Gandhi's satyagraha:

Far more specifics about the change (same period in his life) come here:

There's a ton more in Anil Nauriya's "Freedom, Race, and Francophonie : Gandhi and The Construction of Peoplehood", including Gandhi's support for African freedom movements across the continent and his active inspiration of Africans during his own lifetime. All of it is clearly cited. Read the freaking paper if you don't believe me that he changed.
the issue, for me and others, is that he was SOOOOOOO specific and pointed in his disdain for Black people, and he used the newspaper he wrote for as a soapbox to drag us through the fukking mud in order to please cacs. None of anyhing you have presented qualfies as enough of rectifying that shyt.

secondly, what about his views on the Black Dravidians of India? "Why didn't he do anything for them?"-Dr. Umar

"The greatest crime committed by Gandhi against the Black Race was to deny the Black Untouchables of India separate electorates and sabotaging the plan to emancipiate Untouchables :
" In the Round Table Conference held in 1932, the then British Government accepted the demand of the Dalits for separate electorate. The basis of that demand was the fact that the Dalit are not Hindu but a separate nation. Gandhi started his 'fast unto death' against that plan and sabotaged it. It was a thunderous blow to the cause of the emancipation of the Dalit."
-- [ Gandhi_U ]
Indeed, Gandhi displayed a marked bias against the Black Untouchables :
" In 1933, he established Harijan (Dalit) Sevak Sangh for the welfare of the Untouchables (Dalits). But when there was a demand for the representation of the Untouchables on the Governing Board of the institution, he flatly refused it. He disapproved appointment of Mr. Agnibhaj, a distinguished personality, as a minister in the Congress cabinet in the Madhya Pradesh because he was from the Scheduled Caste."
-- [ Gandhi_U ]
He indeed considered the Negroid Dalit to be of an inferior race. Writing about their supposedly lower level of intelligence, he wrote,
"Majority of Harijans (Dalits) can no more understand the presentation of Christianity than my cows."
-- [ Gandhi_C, p.58 ] [ cited in Gandhi_U ]
thereby comparing the IQ of Dalits to cows !"
http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/varna.htm

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
@Medicate :salute: You really hit a nerve with this one....:russ:. It's about time black people started being iconclastic towards the shyt they've peddled to blacks. Do Abraham Lincoln next! :lolbron:

Appreciate it breh. I actually already did Good Ole Abe....lol....in Higher Learning, had em shook there too....:mjpls:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/why-...-to-deport-blacks-after-the-civil-war.281620/

:comeon: Of course the thread didn't do numbers after I showed them the truth, it was backtracking,denials,attacks and slick talk to try and deny what I showed.......:mjlol: