Albums Noname - Room 25 (Discussion Thread)

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
It's a grower, for sure, but based on 1st listen I like it.

Like @GoldenGlove I was a little.... I won't say "underwhelmed", but the way she and other people were talking/tweeting about it, I wasn't expecting it to be so mellow so that definitely tainted it as soon as it started.

But once I settled into the vibe I was bobbin' to it. And speakin' of D'Angelo (@brownsugah) he woulda murdered the hook on Part of Me.

I'll come back with some joints I like when I've heard it a bit more.

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It's a grower, for sure, but based on 1st listen I like it.

Like @GoldenGlove I was a little.... I won't say "underwhelmed", but the way she and other people were talking/tweeting about it, I wasn't expecting it to be so mellow so that definitely tainted it as soon as it started.

But once I settled into the vibe I was bobbin' to it. And speakin' of D'Angelo (@brownsugah) he woulda murdered the hook on Part of Me.

I'll come back with some joints I like when I've heard it a bit more.
The second listen was better than the first listen for me. I appreciate how she didn’t repeat what she did on Telefone. If she does release this one to vinyl, I will definitely cop. I appreciate what she did on the record overall. Most people may feel “meh” at first but It seems to be an album that takes a few more listens to really get/understand. It reminds me of how I felt when I first listened to D’Angelo’s “Voodoo” record the first time in comparison to how I loved “Brown Sugar” with the first listen. And then I ended up preferring the former over the latter. After time, I can see Room 25 surpassing Telefone.

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Voodoo was more organic than Brown Sugar to me, in the lyricism and approach. I kinda see this album the same way in comparison to Telefone. Room 25 is definitely going to be that grower to me like Voodoo was for me.

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The song structures may not pop out to most neither. Most of the production on this album reminds me of a “free jazz” approach. Not a bad thing at all.. it just seems like it would take a couple of listens to understand for most.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I can see myself running back No Name and Part of Me a lot.

On a side note, this album and Saba's CARE FOR ME makes me feel sad for Chicago.

There's a lot of heartbreak in the music but there are rays of optimism in both Saba and No Name's stuff. They are both true examples of roses growing out of concrete.

:mjcry:

This shyt got me in my feelings
VY2wmdR.png

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'll have to give it another few listens to see where I'm at cuz right now, it ain't touching telefone. It really don't even start to heat up until track #5. Tracks #5 through #10 are more the vibe I was looking for, but Telefone had me from the Intro...as most good albums do. It's still a solid album, just a lil disappointed, but that may change after I sit with this album for a couple weeks :manny: