Nobody showed up to Mean Gene Okerlund funeral

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
The wrestling business is like a Watchmen comic book come to life. We always think of these wrestlers and personnel as larger than life, but reality hits that these pieces of demon shyt are selfish, malicious, murderous, vice driven, heartless vermin on steroids. The fact that not a single soul showed up speak volumes to this shytty ass industry.

Mean Gene was there for these folks and got them over. Hell, the simple "put that cigarette out" quote took Flair's RR victory to new levels. I'm really not surprised by the news TBH:yeshrug:

Did Bret Hart or Dwayne Johnson show up?

@Blessed Koala šŸ™šŸ™

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Yes thats ultra disrespectful. Mean gene was the face of wwf for real. I never liked how he only did side shows in his later years because he was an icon of the presentation of wrestling. Those days are longggg gone tho. I figured hogan woulda been there. And vince. Im not suprised but heard them both help flair out when he needed it, not going to mean genes funeral tho? Wow

White City Black

Olā€™ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
I remember when shortly after Macho Man died, Hoegan was going around saying he and Randy broke bread and made peace before Machā€™s death. Gene said in very nice terms that was a bunch of bullshyt though. :lolbron:

*Time stamped.

Might lowkey play a part in Hoegan not showing up to see Mean Gene off

I honestly donā€™t even like using ā€œfakkit ā€œ in real life, but cot damn Hulkkk is oneā€¦

I deadass donā€™t see many people showing up for his funeral or memorial when his yellow (and red) streak having ass finally gets extracted from this existence

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think we must remember that many people in the industry pass away. And after they leave the industry, few remain good friends. You would be surprised how many popular stars from back when keep some close friends that were jobbers in their time. It has nothing to do with what you did for a promoter or company, or how prominent you were in the industry. It has everything to do with did we fukk with each other hard after we left the industry.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

Such a shytty business :francis:

Props to Booker and Sharmell

Booker may have some TLR worthy shyt takes, but dude really cared about the "boys in the back". Such a shame that a woman who endured the woes of getting into a shytty business, took bumps with the best of them, and paved the way for women wrestlers to get into the game, end up being just a afterthought to the industry.

Props for Booker and his wife to pay for the headstone. I mean at least she can be acknowledge, rather than being another dead wrestler :francis:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I remember Bret was talking about how he was at Crushā€™s funeral and he was talking to (maybe?) Marty Janetty and they were taken aback at the lack of wrestlers there. Then some guy wearing a black hat and sunglasses with a Santaā€™s Claus beard approached them and they realized it was Macho Man, who had stayed in the back the entire time. Bret said to all of them, ā€œI think weā€™re the only wrestlers here.ā€ and Macho chimed in saying, ā€œI almost didnā€™t come. This is always hard.ā€

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I remember Bret was talking about how he was at Crushā€™s funeral and he was talking to (maybe?) Marty Janetty and they were taken aback at the lack of wrestlers there. Then some guy wearing a black hat and sunglasses with a Santaā€™s Claus beard approached them and they realized it was Macho Man, who had stayed in the back the entire time. Bret said to all of them, ā€œI think weā€™re the only wrestlers here.ā€ and Macho chimed in saying, ā€œI almost didnā€™t come. This is always hard.ā€

I thought about this too. There's also the possibility that Gene's family didn't invite a lot of wrestlers to the funeral. They might not have known about certain relationships if Gene wasn't actively in communication with guys he worked with 20-25 years ago.