No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Both Stafford and Brees get the ball out quick, and both the Lions and Saints have consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in sacks allowed. By all accounts, Stafford, like Brees, has a grasp for the mental side of the position that rivals just about anyone’s.

tumblr_lh3yvdvSq41qcql71.gif
I won't bother clicking the link now. :dead:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Remember when he left the game on a stretcher and the replay showed he didn't even get hit :mjlol:

Everybody called into 97.1 today saying Mitchell is the most hated Detroit athlete in history.
Breh, I wish I could find video of that play. The epitome of the Lions' fan experience. I remember that moment vividly. The announcers were trying to :cape: for him and showed about 10 different replays like, "well, we didn't see anything on that angle, let's try another one..." even though nobody was within 5 yards of him.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nice to see Jason Jones back and make some plays
Van Noy made a play as well

Missed the second half but seen you guys compliment Couplin, Reid, and Kellen Moore. Good

No injuries as well

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
jerome-couplin-iii-and-dreamius-smithjpg-013339bf5c651c04.jpg

Former William & Mary safety Jerome Couplin, shown decleating West Virginia tailback Dreamius Smith during a game last year, has developed a reputation as a big hitter with the Lions. (AP File Photo)
Print
By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM, updated August 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Reddit
Email
image.jpg

All Stories |

ALLEN PARK -- The Osprey didn't wait long to show what all the fuss is about in his debut with the Detroit Lions.

Safety Jerome Couplin had two tackles in last week's preseason opener against the Browns, plus a tackle for loss that was wiped out by a penalty. But it was the force with which the plays were made that really drew attention to the undrafted rookie from William & Mary.

The man doesn't just hit you. He hits you like he wants you to remember it.

"One of the things that jumped out at you was ... his ability to get in place and position to strike you," Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. "He's got some punch and power. He does things so easily that sometimes it can be a little deceptive, but he had some real nice hits the other night."

Caldwell wasn't just talking empty coachspeak, either. Couplin was promoted to the second team for stretches this week, after he spent most of the first two weeks on the third team.

That could be an indication his role will increase Friday night when Detroit (1-0) travels to Oakland to face the Raiders in its second preseason game.

"That dude's a tremendous hitter," receiver Golden Tate said. "He's a ball-hawk, and really knows how to fly around out there. You wouldn't really think he was such a big hitter, with his stature, but he'll definitely come down the hole without fear and bring it to a back."

Couplin is a 6-foot-2, 215-pound safety who earned the nickname "Osprey" for his impressive 80-inch wingspan. And he's developed a reputation as a human sledgehammer in the defensive backfield.

He gained a bit of notoriety last year when an Associated Press photographer captured him railroading West Virginia tailback Dreamius Smith. Couplin calls it the biggest hit in a career that includes plenty of whoppers.

15614304-large.jpg
Jerome Couplin is among the undrafted free agents who have made some noise in training camp. Literally. Mike Mulholland | MLive.com
"I was playing Cover-2 on the back side," Couplin said, "and as a safety you're the last line of defense. You got to get him down. So he tried to lower his shoulder, and I got my pads up under him.

"I just picked him up and slammed him to the ground. That's it I guess."

Couplin can't show that side of his game much in practice, where hitting is typically light and controlled, if it exists at all. But he's shown some nice progress in his coverage skills.

Then once the lights went on Saturday night, and the bullets started flying, Couplin open fired.

"To be able to be out there in an actual live position, my heart was pumpin'," Couplin said. "I was calm and relaxed when we went out there for the first half. But then we went out there for the second half, and I knew it was my time to roll. The ol' heart started speeding up a bit."

Couplin's chances of making the roster remain slim. DeJon Gomes, Don Carey and Isa Abdul-Quddus look like the leaders to be reserve safeties behind Glover Quin and James Ihedibo.

But Couplin's unique intangibles -- and that hard-hitting -- make him intriguing enough to warrant consideration for the practice squad. He's definitely on Caldwell's radar as the preseason reaches its halfway point.

"Just because I'm stepping up to the NFL level, I'm not going to be scared to continue to be a physical tackler," Couplin said. "That's something that I've always believed in."

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Further review of Saturday night's game pointed out how two rookie offensive lineman got extended playing time.
The Monday Countdown:How Game 1 of the Lions’ preseason opener was Kids Night; what
Kellen Moore’s fine performance really means for a backup quarterback; why preseason games frustrate Golden Tate; what Corey Fuller was thinking as he lined up for what would be a game-winning TD catch; what to like and not like about Saturday night’s game; a clutch extra point; and a little more on Johnny Manziel.
We start with the kids – and not just the drafted rookies – who as a group held up well:

1. OT for OL: Further review Sunday pointed out how two rookie offensive linemen – one drafted, one signed as a free agent --- got extended playing time.

swanson-article-81114.jpg
Travis Swanson (Photo: Gavin Smith)
Center Travis Swanson, drafted in the third round out of Arkansas as the eventual replacement for Dominic Raiola, took over when the first unit departed after the seven-play first possession.

Once in the game, Swanson never left. He played the last 62 snaps, more than any player on either team.

Swanson’s only obvious mistake was a low snap from center late in the fourth quarter that Moore could not handle and was recovered by the Browns, killing the threat.

Cornelius Lucas, signed after going undrafted, played 54 snaps at tackle – the second most of any player on either team.

Obviously, the Lions didn’t draft Swanson and sign Lucas to stand on the sidelines holding their helmets by the chin strap. Both are getting a long look to show what they have. That doesn’t make either one an immediate starter or guarantee anything, but they must have something that makes the coaches want to see more.

2. More on Lucas: The Lions showed interest in Lucas before the draft, and when he wasn’t one of the 17 tackles taken in May, the Lions showed their interest again where it counted most – with a $20,000 signing bonus.

That’s big dough for a free-agent lineman. By comparison, it was twice as much as LaAdrian Waddle got in 2013, and he wound up starting eight games at right tackle.

Lucas started every game at left tackle the last two years for Kansas State. At 6-8 and 316 pounds, and with good athletic ability, he could be a free-agent find – like Waddle and Joseph Fauria were last year.

3. Preseason quarterback stats: Kellen Moore’s stats Saturday night were eye-popping: 11-of-13 passing for 121 yards, a 21-yard TD pass to Corey Fuller with 1:05 left and a passer rating for the game of 131.1.

There was nothing not to like about the way Moore played, and it’s possible that he might be a more serious contender for the backup position.

However, preseason games are set up for quarterbacks to do well – especially ones who’ve been with a team for a year or two. Defenses don’t blitz or use exotic coverages as much as in the regular season.

So far in this year’s preseason, 31 quarterbacks have passer ratings of at least 100. That includes everyone from Scott Tolzien of the Packers (100.7) to Kellen Clemens of the Chargers (158.3) with the likes of Austin Davis, Tyler Bray, Matt Scott and Logan Thomas in between.

There is nothing bad about playing well, but take it for what it is.

4. Tate’s frustration: Golden Tate played the first series and had one catch for a 14-yard gain. But that’s not what made the most impact on him. It bothered him not being able to play longer.

Tate goes through the same routine for every game, whether it’s preseason or regular season. He gets to the stadium three hours before kickoff to get ready.

Playing one series and watching the rest of the game does not make for an enjoyable evening.

“I love to play,” Tate said. “When I walk into that stadium, I get chills.”

Even when he has to chill out.

5. Corey Fuller: Fuller and Moore both saw press coverage from the Browns when he lined up split left on the play that resulted in Moore hitting him with a 21-yard TD pass to win the game. Moore said Fuller was his first option.

“I’m glad he did that,” Fuller said. “I got press coverage the whole game. Just throw it.”

Fuller spent his rookie season on the practice squad after being drafted in the sixth round. He has been a different player than last year, when he didn’t show much in training camp or the preseason.

The Lions like size and speed, and Fuller has both at 6-2 and with a track background. He ran 4.32 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

6. Four things to like about the rookie class on defense:

-- Tackle Caraun Reid, a fifth-round pick, had two tackles for loss.

-- End Larry Webster, a fourth-round pick, had one tackle for loss and a hit on Johnny Manziel just as he released a pass that fell incomplete in the second half. After that possession ended, Manziel was talking to a Browns trainer on the sideline.

-- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy had a pass breakup in the second quarter. Van Noy might need time to develop in the Lions’ 4-3 scheme from playing in Brigham Young’s 3-4 alignment.

-- In the secondary, cornerback Nevin Lawson was aggressive on defense and special teams. Safety Jerome Couplin, an undrafted free agent, had a hit on a long incompletion on Cleveland’s last possession.

irishfury

Get Money Gang
Daps
Well boys first team O looks great. Tate has to be thinking its this easy without Calvin?