No Mo' Taco's in the War Room! Dallas Cowboys 2023 draft thread

Who will be picked at 27

• Total voters

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ford-Wheaton please!
His measurables are crazy and could be a nice project to work with. Another Miles Austin type.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Mel Kipers draft grade​

Dallas Cowboys: B​

Top needs entering the draft: TE, RB, WR, DT, K

After another early playoff exit that saw the offense sputter late in the season, the Cowboys fired coordinator Kellen Moore and promoted Brian Schottenheimer. Coach Mike McCarthy will go back to calling the plays, like he did in Green Bay. With tight end Dalton Schultz leaving in free agency and running back Ezekiel Elliott getting cut, Dallas had holes at both positions heading into the draft, and I thought it could address each of them on the first two days.

In Round 1, however, the Cowboys went a different direction, and I have no qualms about it. Mazi Smith (26) is the best run-stuffing defensive tackle in this class, a 323-pounder who will instantly improve their run defense. Their defensive line too often last season was blown up at the line of scrimmage, so adding an anchor like Smith will help the entire front seven. Look at the other NFC East teams, and Dallas needed to beef up to stop the run.

I would have taken other tight ends over Luke Schoonmaker (58), but he does have intriguing traits. Tucker Kraft and Brenton Strange were available and higher on my board. Schoonmaker will turn 25 as a rookie, so the question is about how much more room he has to develop. DeMarvion Overshown (90) is one of Louis Riddikk's favorites in this class; he can be a heat-seeking missile as a blitzer.

Edge rusher Viliami Fehoko (129) had 23 sacks over the past three seasons; I highlighted him as a potential sleeper last December. Running back Deuce Vaughn (212) is a great player in a tiny, 5-foot-5 package. I'd love to see him succeed in Dallas, where his dad is a scout.

There's not much flash in this class, which is not usually how team owner Jerry Jones does things, but I can't knock many of these selections. Dallas did well.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Mel Kipers draft grade​

Dallas Cowboys: B​

Top needs entering the draft: TE, RB, WR, DT, K

After another early playoff exit that saw the offense sputter late in the season, the Cowboys fired coordinator Kellen Moore and promoted Brian Schottenheimer. Coach Mike McCarthy will go back to calling the plays, like he did in Green Bay. With tight end Dalton Schultz leaving in free agency and running back Ezekiel Elliott getting cut, Dallas had holes at both positions heading into the draft, and I thought it could address each of them on the first two days.

In Round 1, however, the Cowboys went a different direction, and I have no qualms about it. Mazi Smith (26) is the best run-stuffing defensive tackle in this class, a 323-pounder who will instantly improve their run defense. Their defensive line too often last season was blown up at the line of scrimmage, so adding an anchor like Smith will help the entire front seven. Look at the other NFC East teams, and Dallas needed to beef up to stop the run.

I would have taken other tight ends over Luke Schoonmaker (58), but he does have intriguing traits. Tucker Kraft and Brenton Strange were available and higher on my board. Schoonmaker will turn 25 as a rookie, so the question is about how much more room he has to develop. DeMarvion Overshown (90) is one of Louis Riddikk's favorites in this class; he can be a heat-seeking missile as a blitzer.

Edge rusher Viliami Fehoko (129) had 23 sacks over the past three seasons; I highlighted him as a potential sleeper last December. Running back Deuce Vaughn (212) is a great player in a tiny, 5-foot-5 package. I'd love to see him succeed in Dallas, where his dad is a scout.

There's not much flash in this class, which is not usually how team owner Jerry Jones does things, but I can't knock many of these selections. Dallas did well.

This doesn't mean much. When the lowest grade he gave a team was a B- :unimpressed:

It has been time for Kiper to hang it up. :unimpressed: