NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... Official Thread Release date 4/23

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
This stories ending makes you appreciate Automata even more.
Never played it so that's next up, might try to plat Replicant though. Still need:

- Ending E
- That flower (I'm close but need to finish E to get my saves back)
- All weapons upgraded
- Finish a new game in 15hrs

The weapons seems to be the hardest since it relies heavily on some random raw material drops.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Howd you like the ending n overall story?

In total it's an awesome story, I love the ambiguity. The desperation of all races to exist with the struggle to co-exist. I'm not sure what actually happened in the E-ending with the giant flower (Lunar Tear?) but I hesitate in looking shyt up because I expect Automata might answer some things. I know those twins in the Forest of Myth tree/machine are from Automata.

A lot of lore is hidden in shyt like the weapon stories, which is a cool incentive to upgrade them - but I hate when rewards (stories/trophies) are tied up in random shyt.

Knowing it's a remake of an older game I can forgive some of the repetitiveness, but I also think it was intentionally done to provoke. Some of those side are literally Yoko Taro :troll:ing it up.

Look forward to Automata.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In total it's an awesome story, I love the ambiguity. The desperation of all races to exist with the struggle to co-exist. I'm not sure what actually happened in the E-ending with the giant flower (Lunar Tear?) but I hesitate in looking shyt up because I expect Automata might answer some things. I know those twins in the Forest of Myth tree/machine are from Automata.

A lot of lore is hidden in shyt like the weapon stories, which is a cool incentive to upgrade them - but I hate when rewards (stories/trophies) are tied up in random shyt.

Knowing it's a remake of an older game I can forgive some of the repetitiveness, but I also think it was intentionally done to provoke. Some of those side are literally Yoko Taro :troll:ing it up.

Look forward to Automata.
A lot of those tedious moments were def Yoko Taro troll jobs. Some of em are on the nose when Weiss asks whats the point in doin some pointless thing that aint related to the main mission.

n ya dont look up explanations. Theres a major reveal at the end of Automatas final routes that clears up what happened after Replicants ending. Go in blind n enjoy.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I might be in the minority here but as far as the story goes I kind of preferred this to Automata. Automata had a great story, but idk it didn't hit me the same way as Replicant did. With that being said, I started replaying Automata, so at least it would be fairer to compare these two after that run.

Also I didn't play the OG Nier, which was papa Nier. But you get an opportunity to play as him for a bit after doing ending A. It just feels to me that young Nier fits the story more given your companions. Tho I could see people favoring a father and daughter relationship to Yonah rather than a brother sister one. I think it was handled great here.

Some of the main issues with the game. Not an issue, but it is more of a con on PS5 being only 1080P. Kind of thought there would be a next gen patch of some kind by now. But the game looks good enough tbh. It only looks slightly rough when you switch from a full open view to a 2d view like when you talk to Popola at the library as an example.

Side quests really suck in this game to put it lightly. I don't mind them, but once you get enough resources, you might as well skip on the majority of them that don't give you weapons. I do all of them beside the Pink Flower Seed side quest. Apparently they patched it to where changing your time doesn't do anything. Basically, it is not worth your time. (Unless there is a trophy for doing all side quests?)

The combat and gameplay here is pretty solid and simple. You really can't start optimizing yourself too much until the second half of act 1. But once you get to that point the difficulty drops a bit and pretty much stays there. You do get a good amount of diverse weapons, but I severely favored 2 handed weapons in Act 2 and really only used spears when fighting against wolves. Tho the game does give you a significant amount of magic options to use. I kind of stuck with dark blast and dark lance and was more than fine.

This might be one of the best JRPG dubs out their in all honesty. Gremiore Weiss and Kaine being the headline for this. I was kind of shocked how good the voice direction in general was. I honestly think this dub was even better then XC 1's dub, which is regarded as one of the best dubs.

Ending A felt really satisfying to me. To be honest someone could have finished ending A and felt more than happy. You get the reward of getting your sister back which was great. The build up to it was great and the ending felt more than justified. I knew something was up with Devola and Popola, but didn't expect them to backstab you essentially. Every scene in the Shadowlord dungeon was great. The king sacrificing himself for you, Devloa's death scene, Emil Sacrificing himself and possessed Yonah calling the shadowlord her brother. Also didn't expect shades to be what was of humans basically.

Ending B was honestly more thought provoking then I was expecting. Since you get to learn more about Shades, Kaine and Emil. Kaine and Emil both had some really fukked up back stories. Kaine being labeled as a freak and seem to be the target of bullying until her 'grandmother' came in to the equation for her. Emil being experimented on and having to stone his older sister. But the biggest thing was the shades and how human they really were. The monster girl shade who wanted to be human to be with the postman. The little shade begging the robot to not sacrifice himself, since he didn't want to be alone anymore. The wolf shade trying his best to corporate and believing the wolves could coexist with humans until he lost his patience.

The Aerie was the only one that didn't change much for me on the replay. Granted, that whole moment is pretty big in general. Kaine is still being ridiculed by everyone there. And also Emil destroying the entire village. Pretty big stuff. I didn't get too much out of the ShadowLord's thoughts being revealed. While yes it is pretty sad that he has always been looking out for his Yonah and he was on the brink when we played as him during the prologue. It felt hard to sympathize for him since he caused all of the events of the game. But overall this part hit a lot harder than I was expecting. :mjcry:

Ending C/D is the last where it felt repetitive at first. The only thing that changes is the extra scenes with Popola and Devola. They weren't siding with the Shadowlord, but they did what they did what was for their best interest. But nothing beyond that.

But here after the Shadow Lord fight you have to fight a possessed Kaine. You have to decide whether to end her suffering and kill her or sacrifice her to save you. The sacrifice option is canon, but damn both endings are rough. :mjcry: In C you see Nier sees the person at the time who he cared for the most beside Yonah be gone. And it is back to it just being him and Yonah. D is painful where Nier sacrifices himself in the manner that nobody remembers him and he never existed. This hit hard when Yonah mentions to Kaine that she saved her. But Kaine gets hit with a slight flashback and teased of the person that she loved. This ending is more painful in D then C.

Ending E was interesting since it followed Ending D directly. It seems that the copies of the Kaines that you fight gives you an idea of what the Androids started as in Automata. Granted, my memory of Automata again isn't the best. Replaying the first third of act 1 was annoying, but the setup to it into Kaine's dream did make sense. It ends with you bringing back your protagonist. Altho it was strange that it was your body from before the timeskip. But it was a great way to finish off this game.
Honestly, this is my favorite JRPG that came out last year tbh. Great game that has some issues, but those can be minimized.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I might be in the minority here but as far as the story goes I kind of preferred this to Automata. Automata had a great story, but idk it didn't hit me the same way as Replicant did. With that being said, I started replaying Automata, so at least it would be fairer to compare these two after that run.

Also I didn't play the OG Nier, which was papa Nier. But you get an opportunity to play as him for a bit after doing ending A. It just feels to me that young Nier fits the story more given your companions. Tho I could see people favoring a father and daughter relationship to Yonah rather than a brother sister one. I think it was handled great here.

Some of the main issues with the game. Not an issue, but it is more of a con on PS5 being only 1080P. Kind of thought there would be a next gen patch of some kind by now. But the game looks good enough tbh. It only looks slightly rough when you switch from a full open view to a 2d view like when you talk to Popola at the library as an example.

Side quests really suck in this game to put it lightly. I don't mind them, but once you get enough resources, you might as well skip on the majority of them that don't give you weapons. I do all of them beside the Pink Flower Seed side quest. Apparently they patched it to where changing your time doesn't do anything. Basically, it is not worth your time. (Unless there is a trophy for doing all side quests?)

The combat and gameplay here is pretty solid and simple. You really can't start optimizing yourself too much until the second half of act 1. But once you get to that point the difficulty drops a bit and pretty much stays there. You do get a good amount of diverse weapons, but I severely favored 2 handed weapons in Act 2 and really only used spears when fighting against wolves. Tho the game does give you a significant amount of magic options to use. I kind of stuck with dark blast and dark lance and was more than fine.

This might be one of the best JRPG dubs out their in all honesty. Gremiore Weiss and Kaine being the headline for this. I was kind of shocked how good the voice direction in general was. I honestly think this dub was even better then XC 1's dub, which is regarded as one of the best dubs.

Ending A felt really satisfying to me. To be honest someone could have finished ending A and felt more than happy. You get the reward of getting your sister back which was great. The build up to it was great and the ending felt more than justified. I knew something was up with Devola and Popola, but didn't expect them to backstab you essentially. Every scene in the Shadowlord dungeon was great. The king sacrificing himself for you, Devloa's death scene, Emil Sacrificing himself and possessed Yonah calling the shadowlord her brother. Also didn't expect shades to be what was of humans basically.

Ending B was honestly more thought provoking then I was expecting. Since you get to learn more about Shades, Kaine and Emil. Kaine and Emil both had some really fukked up back stories. Kaine being labeled as a freak and seem to be the target of bullying until her 'grandmother' came in to the equation for her. Emil being experimented on and having to stone his older sister. But the biggest thing was the shades and how human they really were. The monster girl shade who wanted to be human to be with the postman. The little shade begging the robot to not sacrifice himself, since he didn't want to be alone anymore. The wolf shade trying his best to corporate and believing the wolves could coexist with humans until he lost his patience.

The Aerie was the only one that didn't change much for me on the replay. Granted, that whole moment is pretty big in general. Kaine is still being ridiculed by everyone there. And also Emil destroying the entire village. Pretty big stuff. I didn't get too much out of the ShadowLord's thoughts being revealed. While yes it is pretty sad that he has always been looking out for his Yonah and he was on the brink when we played as him during the prologue. It felt hard to sympathize for him since he caused all of the events of the game. But overall this part hit a lot harder than I was expecting. :mjcry:

Ending C/D is the last where it felt repetitive at first. The only thing that changes is the extra scenes with Popola and Devola. They weren't siding with the Shadowlord, but they did what they did what was for their best interest. But nothing beyond that.

But here after the Shadow Lord fight you have to fight a possessed Kaine. You have to decide whether to end her suffering and kill her or sacrifice her to save you. The sacrifice option is canon, but damn both endings are rough. :mjcry: In C you see Nier sees the person at the time who he cared for the most beside Yonah be gone. And it is back to it just being him and Yonah. D is painful where Nier sacrifices himself in the manner that nobody remembers him and he never existed. This hit hard when Yonah mentions to Kaine that she saved her. But Kaine gets hit with a slight flashback and teased of the person that she loved. This ending is more painful in D then C.

Ending E was interesting since it followed Ending D directly. It seems that the copies of the Kaines that you fight gives you an idea of what the Androids started as in Automata. Granted, my memory of Automata again isn't the best. Replaying the first third of act 1 was annoying, but the setup to it into Kaine's dream did make sense. It ends with you bringing back your protagonist. Altho it was strange that it was your body from before the timeskip. But it was a great way to finish off this game.
Honestly, this is my favorite JRPG that came out last year tbh. Great game that has some issues, but those can be minimized.
Nier, Kaine, Emil>2B,9S,A2

i thought it was a better story too.

Soundtrack wise Automata might be more consistently good, but the highs are higher in Replicant.

The story’s even better when you tealize your actions of killing shadowlord doom humanity and set up Automata. You aint trying to be the bad guy but you really are

Id say replay automata again, cuz now that you played Replicant you gonna see a lot of call backs and easter eggs.also the Emils Memories sidequest hits a lot harder after knowing Replicant.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Nier, Kaine, Emil>2B,9S,A2

i thought it was a better story too.

Soundtrack wise Automata might be more consistently good, but the highs are higher in Replicant.

The story’s even better when you tealize your actions of killing shadowlord doom humanity and set up Automata. You aint trying to be the bad guy but you really are

Id say replay automata again, cuz now that you played Replicant you gonna see a lot of call backs and easter eggs.also the Emils Memories sidequest hits a lot harder after knowing Replicant.

:mjcry:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
They really making folks play the second half the game 2-3 times just get to the e ending?? Sigh smh..I swear..these games are not made for folks with jobs and other hobbies outside of gaming

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They really making folks play the second half the game 2-3 times just get to the e ending?? Sigh smh..I swear..these games are not made for folks with jobs and other hobbies outside of gaming
game with all ending is between 30-40 hours. pretty standard for a jrpg