Nick Saban, welcome to Austin, TX (UPDATE: regent confirms Saban wanted Texas/dtown vindicated!)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
These gator boot wearing jokers won't rest til they get that man outta Austin :pachaha:
Damn, should have stayed in Louisville and they were willing to match. :snoop:

He pretty much have to get to cfp this year or they're hiring Nick Saban's nephew.

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
Wait! So they're really still reaching out to show Charlie Strong the door? Those cacs are something else.
man the shyt is scust for real :francis:

the shyt I read about the football program under Mack Brown... its going to fake a year or two to right the ship.

he still has most of the support, but who knows when journalist can make up some random agenda and dumb Texas fans eat it up

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
I forgot how big of an L you took in this thread

:manny: some of guys were saying saban never even contacted texas. he was having lunch with boosters and his agent was talking to our AD according to the excerpt that came out from his bio. shyt just fell apart in the end for multiple reasons (mack's opposition/president's opposition, AD turmoil).

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Much more in the link

"In December 2012, as Nick Saban was preparing Alabama to face Notre Dame in college football’s national championship game, a University of Texas regent named Wallace Hall received a phone call from a friend."

“It was out of the blue,” Hall says. “He is a U.T. alum, a very well-thought-of, very successful guy who really isn’t a huge fan of football.” The man, whom Hall has refused to name, also happened to be a good friend of Saban’s agent, Jimmy Sexton. “My friend told me, ‘I don’t know how to put this any other way: Nick Saban wants to come to Texas,’ ” Hall says.

"A few days after the national title game, Hall went to Tom Hicks’s house in Dallas for a scheduled conference call with Sexton. An intermediary had provided Hall with a number for him to reach Sexton, a clever move, Hall believed. “That way, from Jimmy’s perspective, he could always argue that we called him,” he says."

"Hall and Tom Hicks talked to Sexton for 45 minutes. They say that Sexton told them that Saban felt “special pressure” and a lack of appreciation at Alabama. “Sexton said that the day after the championship, Alabama boosters were pounding the table, talking about a three-peat,” Hall says.

“Jimmy said that winning a national championship at three different universities would be a real legacy,” Tom Hicks said, referring to Saban’s title with Louisiana State. Hall believed that there was serious intent behind Sexton’s call, and that the agent was acting on behalf of an informed client. “No agent is going to go out and do this without consent from Saban,” he says.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/s...e-pursuit-of-nick-saban-alabama-vs-texas.html

it-s-still-real-to-me-dammit-o.gif

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers

What could've been for the University of Texas.

Shortly after winning his third national championship at Alabama in 2012, Saban reached out to the Longhorns' power brass through agent Jimmy Sexton to get a feel for where the program might be heading following Mack Brown's — by program standards — disappointing season, his third straight outside of the Big 12's driver seat.

According to Dallas billionaire and former UT regent Tom Hicks, the nation's top coach was interested in bringing Texas back to prominence.

“Another regent and I had the conversation with Saban’s agent and he said, ‘If Saban was a business guy, he’d be what you would call a turnaround artist. He’s not a longterm CEO. Fix it, win and go on. He knows he will never catch Bear Bryant’s legacy in Alabama, but he’d like to create his legacy that he’s won national championships at more schools than anybody else. He’s done it at LSU and Alabama, and he knows he can win a national championship at Alabama; he knows he can,'” Hicks said recently on Your Turn with Corby Davidson podcast.

Texas regents were familiar with Saban's prominence after the Longhorns had lost to Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game to end the 2009 season. Brown's tenure had soured, highlighted by an embarrassing loss to Oklahoma in 2012, and Hicks said he approached the Texas coach two days after Alabama had captured its third title in four years.

The proposed coaching transition plan from Brown to Saban didn't go over well.

"We had lunch and I thought at the time he was ready to leave," Hicks said. "He’d been telling people he was ready to leave. So I said, ‘Mack, I want to tell you about a conversation I had with Jimmy Sexton. If you want to retire, I think you can graciously have Nick Saban come in and take your place and have it be your idea. That might be a nice way for you to end it.’

“Mack Brown turned bright red. Steam started coming out of his ears, and he said, ‘That guy is not coming here to win a national championship with my players.’ I said, ‘Mack, I’m glad to see you have that passion. I didn’t think you had that passion left.”

Brown would stay in Austin one more season before his tenure ended following an eight-win finish in 2013. The Longhorns ultimately hired Charlie Strong after Saban inked a new multi-year contract extension that kept Texas at bay. Strong went 16-21 over three seasons before he was replaced by current coach Tom Herman.

Saban is now one national championship away from passing Bryant's all-time record, a feat he never thought he'd accomplish, based on Hicks' conversation with Sexton.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers