Nia Long Thinks Calling Black-Led Films ‘Black Movies’ Is Harmful— ‘Terms Like That Hold Us Back’

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Forget about them for a second, why can’t black filmmakers make a Kill Bill, make a Parasite, make a Requiem for a Dream?

That’s been puzzling to me for the longest. The only person I can think of like that is Steve McQueen and of course he won an Oscar for a slave movie.
:patrice: shyt man I think that really come down to getting funding and distribution from big Hollywood studios cause the black talent is out their but they are not trying gave them the the same chances they be giving to white filmmakers :mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I’m a black writer/director who utilizes a majority black cast to tell black stories.

My work is BLACK. I’m proud of that and I don’t run from or feel shame in the label whatsoever.

Nia Long has been working in Hollywood longer than i’ve been alive. So I can’t speak for her experiences as an actress and the racism she definitely has faced. But I myself embrace making “Black cinema” and thats all I aspire to make

DJK

All Star
Daps
Nia is correct.
Black people who want to watch Black-led movies don't need help to find them.
And labeling movies a certain way almost pre-supposes that the non-Black movies are the better ones for everybody.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Forget about them for a second, why can’t black filmmakers make a Kill Bill, make a Parasite, make a Requiem for a Dream?
Because Black audiences have shown with their wallets over time that they're not supporting that. Look no further than her own movie "Love Jones." It did bad at the box offices and only got a re-release due to the popularity of the soundtrack in 97. I believe it only cleared $12MM after costing $7MM to make. Witcher still hasn't been green lit to make another flick and that brother is hella talented
2) All the Black folks you want can come support a flick, it's still going to need "other" audiences. Big studios don't care about making art. They care about making profit. Studios ain't bankrolling movies like this with a full rollout...maybe straight to streaming but big screen, hell no

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Forget about them for a second, why can’t black filmmakers make a Kill Bill, make a Parasite, make a Requiem for a Dream? Just quality films.

That’s been puzzling to me for the longest. The only person I can think of like that is Steve McQueen and of course he won an Oscar for a slave movie.
Who says they can't? There are "Black" movies that are masterpieces. I don't think it means the movie is less than, just that it has a majority Black creative team.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
Because Black audiences have shown with their wallets over time that they're not supporting that. Look no further than her own movie "Love Jones." It did bad at the box offices and only got a re-release due to the popularity of the soundtrack in 97. I believe it only cleared $12MM after costing $7MM to make. Witcher still hasn't been green lit to make another flick and that brother is hella talented
2) All the Black folks you want can come support a flick, it's still going to need "other" audiences. Big studios don't care about making art. They care about making profit. Studios ain't bankrolling movies like this with a full rollout...maybe straight to streaming but big screen, hell no
Black romantic movies are different than white ones. White romantic movies usually have comedic themes in them as well ours it’s either or. love and basketball it might have some funny moments but overall it’s seen as a love story where as the wood is a comedy but has some romance in it.

Now on the other hand movies like train wreck, she’s out of my league you know them white people movies they usually have comedy present more. Maybe back in the 50/60/70s they had just pure romance movies

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
Damn fantastic points….is there any solution or just keep making films that the masses want? Kinda disheartening.

Who says they can't? There are "Black" movies that are masterpieces. I don't think it means the movie is less than, just that it has a majority Black creative team.
It was less of they can’t and more of where is it. But when it got broken down it’s clear why.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

Can (and should) this logic apply to other things labeled as 'black'? People, food, clothing, history?

There's been a long discussion about finally assimilating into American identity and letting go of the 'black' label is always the first one to be erased...

But I feel like that is really rooted in the racism/classism the non white audience showcases towards it/us and not where inclusion is unwelcome.

Maybe im trippin

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

Can (and should) this logic apply to other things labeled as 'black'? People, food, clothing, history?

There's been a long discussion about finally assimilating into American identity and letting go of the 'black' label is always the first one to be erased...

But I feel like that is really rooted in the racism/classism the non white audience showcases towards it/us and not where inclusion is unwelcome.

Maybe im trippin
Your right you are not trippin :myman:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Jordan Peeles movies aren’t seen as “black movies”

They’re just movies, and perform as such
That's downplaying the number of non-black actor and actresses in his films that help prevent that label. You aren't going to call a film with Alison Williams or Elizabeth Moss in it a black film. Let's keep it 100% honest.