Nia Long Thinks Calling Black-Led Films ‘Black Movies’ Is Harmful— ‘Terms Like That Hold Us Back’

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Nia Long Thinks Calling Black-Led Films 'Black Movies' Is Harmful— 'Terms Like That Hold Us Back'.

Nia Long has a resume full of classic movies in genres like comedy and drama, which are often categorized as “Black movies.” Unfortunately, she isn’t feeling that.

The 52-year-old actress recently spoke on why she thinks segregating Black-led films from other categories is harmful in Hollywood.

Why Nia Long Wants Inclusivity In Film Categories
Buzzfeed chatted with Long about her process for choosing roles since she first appeared on big screens as Brandi in Boyz N The Hood. The question regarding how Black movies are labeled was then asked the Best Man: The Final Chapters actress.

I feel like sometimes the roles choose me if that makes sense. Whenever I’ve really wanted something, it never happens. So, I sort of just know that I’m not in charge of that. I have this thing in me that says, “I’m being used to tell stories, to inspire our people, and to serve as a voice, so I’m going to just trust this process.” If I read a script and I love it, and I say, “I’ve got to do that,” then I’m going to do it.

Staying on topic, the outlet spoke with the actress about people who label certain actors “Black famous” and streaming services labeling their movies “Black movies.” Nia shared that she feels those terms do the films a disservice—even though they seem to be coming from a positive space.

“I think terms like that hold us back,” Nia told BuzzFeed. “And I have to catch myself sometimes too, because I’m very proud of who I am.”

The actress added that she is proud of being Black, and she proud to represent despite there being a separation in categories.

When I use the word Black, I don’t use it as a way to separate ourselves from anyone — I use it as a way to put an exclamation point behind our greatness, because I don’t think that it’s always been celebrated and recognized. But I’m also a lover of mankind and human beings and accepting of all people that are good, so multiculturalism is equally as important to me. But I’m here to represent who we are and if you want to come along for the ride, everyone’s welcome!

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
100% right.

Puts you in a box & lowers your ceiling.
Absolutely. For the actors in the film, as well as the film itself.

I believe there are ways a studio could market and financially back a movie with a majority Black cast without making it seem like a “Black movie” (as in only Blacks will want to see it).

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Definitely. It creates categories where there really shouldn't be. A good film that tells a compelling story is a good film.

Financiers are going to think why should we invest into a film that is only marketable to 13.6% of the population. Why should we invest in a wide release and get this film out to anyone who would want to see it?

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Absolutely. For the actors in the film, as well as the film itself.

I believe there are ways a studio could market and financially back a movie with a majority Black cast without making it seem like a “Black movie” (as in only Blacks will want to see it).
100% right.

Puts you in a box & lowers your ceiling.
Definitely. It creates categories where there really shouldn't be. A good film that tells a compelling story is a good film.

Financiers are going to think why should we invest into a film that is only marketable to 13.6% of the population. Why should we invest in a wide release and get this film out to anyone who would want to see it?

:patrice:Going by what Dwayne McDuffie :myman: say it wont matter if studios market the movies differently when non-black people:mjpls: see that the main characters of the movies are black they will think of it as a black entertainment he call it the rule of three it will seen as black even if it does not deal with the social issue black people face.

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
She's not wrong. It's a way of "other-izing" black art and entertainment. It's not like we, in the cultural sense, are from another country. We're just as American as everyone else.

I remember reading the Wikipedia page for the Spawn movie. They changed Terry, Spawn's best friend, into a white guy. The fear was that if both Al/Spawn and Terry were black, along with their shared black wife, the film would be seen as a black movie and have a lower finacial ceiling. That was 25 years ago. That narrative needs to change. Nia's not wrong here.

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
:patrice:Going by what Dwayne McDuffie :myman: say it wont matter if studios market the movies differently when non-black people:mjpls: see that the main characters of the movies are black they will think of it as a black entertainment he call it the rule of three it will seen as black even if it does not deal with the social issue black people face.

Forget about them for a second, why can’t black filmmakers make a Kill Bill, make a Parasite, make a Requiem for a Dream? Just quality films.

That’s been puzzling to me for the longest. The only person I can think of like that is Steve McQueen and of course he won an Oscar for a slave movie.