NEW YORK SCHOOL APOLOGIZES AFTER SERVING CHICKEN, WAFFLES, AND WATERMELON FOR BLACK HISTORY MONTH

invalid

Banned
Daps
We like these foods, but so does everybody. i don't feel like watermelon is tied to my identity as a black person. I don't e.at that stuff anymore often than a non black person. and i definitely don't eat because i'm black or out of some black tradition.
if i was going traditional black food, i'd go more red beans and rice or black eyed peas. Jambalaya. food that has deeper roots in black history beyond the 20th century. Chicken and Waffles wasn't something black people were throwing together back in the 1600s, that was started in like the 1930s and became popular nationally in the last 3 or 4 decades. I don't remember it being paired with watermelon ever either

I get all of this, I really do.
I don't eat watermelon like that either.
But I'm not going to act like I didn't grow up going to church picnics (a place of profound cultural blackness) where they didn't serve watermelon, along with catfish and some other things.

Chicken and waffles was invented in Harlem in the early 1920's or so. But we can't deny the sheer popularity of the food items in the black community today considering majority of black restaurants that open today are brunch spots where these items are the main attraction.

I can't fault other groups if they say to themselves "what do black people eat" and the first thing that comes to their mind is chicken and waffles. And if they think about a fruit, the first thing is watermelon. Yes its stereotypical, but I don't see it as negative.

I agree with red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo, black eyed peas, etc.... but that's operating under the assumption that people are thinking that deeply and are aware of our culinary foodways. But the fact that history and especially American history, is not Americans strong suit, I don't think we should be setting that expectation. We're always going to be disappointed if that's the bar.

And I get that all groups eat it. Black folks grew up on ramen. But if it was Asian history month and we decided to do Asian inspired cuisine, my first thought would be ramen. In a globalized society, everybody eats everything, but some things are more culturally rooted in certain groups.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
:manny:

sdW9kKA.jpeg