NEW YORK SCHOOL APOLOGIZES AFTER SERVING CHICKEN, WAFFLES, AND WATERMELON FOR BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Not ironic or coincidental that you hear about this exact thing at a school every year

17090510165644993.gif

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Their menu looks more diverse than whatever it was we ate.

Philly Cheese Steak? Fresh Zucchini? Lo Mein?
:aicmon:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Y'all, can we have a real conversation about this?

The caption says "Especially items that reinforce negative stereotypes concerning the African American community".

Realistically, what negative stereotypes are they re-enforcing in the black community?

Black people love chicken.
Black people love waffles.
Black people like watermelon even though we've kind've shied away from it due to the history.

The food items are part of the culture at this point.

It's almost like we push these things away when other groups point out something that's obvious to us.

Which is a jerk reaction rooted in old respectability politics.

I'm not saying the images of slaves eating watermelon isn't a source of trauma.

But Black America is borne out of trauma. Our culture is rooted in trauma. And yet we love and cherish it.

We can still embrace these things and say...."yeah and what".:stopitslime:

Other groups can't use these things as daggers if they are things we love and cherish and are not things we try to run away from when they use them as daggers.

It's a part of our culinary culture, just embrace it. And throw back at them their unseasoned chicken and bland broccoli casseroles.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Y'all, can we have a real conversation about this?

The caption says "Especially items that reinforce negative stereotypes concerning the African American community".

Realistically, what negative stereotypes are they re-enforcing in the black community?

Black people love chicken.
Black people love waffles.
Black people like watermelon even though we've kind've shied away from it due to the history.

The food items are part of the culture at this point.

It's almost like we push these things away when other groups point out something that's obvious to us.

Which is a jerk reaction rooted in old respectability politics.

I'm not saying the images of slaves eating watermelon isn't a source of trauma.

But Black America is borne out of trauma. Our culture is rooted in trauma.

We can still embrace these things and say...."yeah and what".:stopitslime:

Other groups can't use these things as daggers if they are things we love and cherish and are not things we try to run away from when they use them as daggers.

It's a part of our culinary culture, just embrace it. And throw back at them their unseasoned chicken and black broccoli casseroles.
We like these foods, but so does everybody. i don't feel like watermelon is tied to my identity as a black person. I don't e.at that stuff anymore often than a non black person. and i definitely don't eat because i'm black or out of some black tradition.
if i was going traditional black food, i'd go more red beans and rice or black eyed peas. Jambalaya. food that has deeper roots in black history beyond the 20th century. Chicken and Waffles wasn't something black people were throwing together back in the 1600s, that was started in like the 1930s and became popular nationally in the last 3 or 4 decades. I don't remember it being paired with watermelon ever either

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
What’s funny is none of this would be offensive if they didn’t demonize us eating it in the first place.

They made us eating it into a huge joke and some of us don’t want to be te subject of it (in public at least)

Last edited:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
We like these foods, but so does everybody. i don't feel like watermelon is tied to my identity as a black person. I don't e.at that stuff anymore often than a non black person. and i definitely don't eat because i'm black or out of some black tradition.
if i was going traditional black food, i'd go more red beans and rice or black eyed peas. Jambalaya. food that has deeper roots in black history beyond the 20th century. Chicken and Waffles wasn't something black people were throwing together back in the 1600s, that was started in like the 1930s and became popular nationally in the last 3 or 4 decades. I don't remember it being paired with watermelon ever either

Funny story, but I remember being a stream mod for some white jawn a while back. This dude came out of nowhere threw every racist comment from subtle to Jim Crow at the marsupial. I played it on a laid back, passive approach and it was amazing.

Cac: "I BET YOU EAT FRIED CHICKEN AND WATERMELON"

Koala: "Nah not really, I like my chicken baked (I really do), and can't stand watermelon (its okay as a candy but I'm not in hog heaven over the damn fruit), and I'm more of a coffee person instead of a kool aid drinker.

Cac: "YOU LIE!!! THATS WHAT BLACK PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO LIKE"

Koala:
images