New PlayStation handheld powered by AMD is in development: Wccftech

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think we can all confidently say Sony will do the exact opposite of anything you say. Thankfully
And I think we can all confidently say after watching Sony abandon the Vita they need to stick to what they do well. Mind you they abandoned it and other companies were still supporting it.

The Steam Deck and it's copies as well as the Switch work because they are the same games on the TV or monitor that they are on the go. You can't make a portable PS5. It will be a separate device with it's own software. The market doesn't need that.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Portal is a streaming only device.

It's not a standalone game player.
It's not even really streaming as much as it's a remote play device. They could have added it all into one device. Even the PSP allowed remote play and playing games natively.

Daps
The Vita is a good handheld. Where they fukked up is in two places:

1. The proprietary memory cards. That was a straight cash grab that no one had interest in. Just let me pop some SanDisks for thirty bucks a pop in there.

2. The back touchpad. It was an awful way to add L2/R2 and they needed to scrap that in the design phase.

It was also at the point where dedicated handhelds were struggling and needed some serious innovation, and I'm not talking about a 3D slider. Even the 3DS struggled. I really do think the Switch saved handhelds, and it did so by not being a dedicated handheld and instead being a hybrid system.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
The Vita is a good handheld. Where they fukked up is in two places:

1. The proprietary memory cards. That was a straight cash grab that no one had interest in. Just let me pop some SanDisks for thirty bucks a pop in there.

2. The back touchpad. It was an awful way to add L2/R2 and they needed to scrap that in the design phase.

It was also at the point where dedicated handhelds were struggling and needed some serious innovation, and I'm not talking about a 3D slider. Even the 3DS struggled. I really do think the Switch saved handhelds, and it did so by not being a dedicated handheld and instead being a hybrid system.
If the vita had L/2 r/2 id still use it for remote play tbh.

Good thing is you can jailbreak any firmware now and use regular micro SD cards I believe.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It's not even really streaming as much as it's a remote play device. They could have added it all into one device. Even the PSP allowed remote play and playing games natively.
That’s what I meant. It’s strictly a remote play device. Another screen albeit bigger

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think this is reasonable analysis. I think where we might disagree is that there's enough of a market of people who a) want a handheld and b) are already in the Sony ecosystem who c) didn't get either a Switch or a Steam Deck, which I think you'd need to make this work. But you might be right because I'm going off a hunch and not market surveys or anything like that.
I got the ROG Ally, it has Steam and Gamepass, but I’d cop a PlayStation handheld for that Spider-Man 2 and GOW 2 piff that’s missing on pc.

Breh13

Smh.
Supporter
Daps
Sony feeling the resugence of gaming handhelds? :mjgrin:

Can't wait for Steam Deck 2. I'm going in.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I got the ROG Ally, it has Steam and Gamepass, but I’d cop a PlayStation handheld for that Spider-Man 2 and GOW 2 piff that’s missing on pc.

You know how much a handheld system that can run Spidey 2 nativley is gonna cost? No way Sony is making something that high end for the handheld market.