New Orleans makes public schools all charter

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I spent half summer 2017 I New Orleans with my girlfriend as she wen through Columbia Universities Summer Principle's Academy.

Their work was done in charter schools. From my first hand experience volunteering and second hand experience through discussions with them I'd say that @Rhakim is pretty accurate on the lack of nuance with regard to these discussions.

Similarly, @theworldismine13 this is why you're a useless person to have a conversation with. You lack nuance and pull the race card whenever your points are refuted.

oh wonderful, no facts or statistics but more anecdotes, just what we needed

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Guess NO Gon be next on that Summer jam screen

NO will be completely fine, like i mentioned i posted the story of NO becoming all charter 4 years ago, the story in the OP is just the story of ONE school that hadn't been turned into a charter

all these warnings are 100 percent bullshyt, 4 years is more than enough time for the horrible predictions to have come to light, it turned out the predictions were false

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
The school system you're citing as a success is still under performing against the other state schools. :bernielol:1

It's performing slightly lower than average, that isn't a failure

For a proper comparison it would have to be compared to how the schools were performing before Katrina

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I'm the perfect example of critical thinking, you are the perfect example of a sheep
You aren't thinking critically. You're merely trying to support your belief that Charters schools are better when evidence suggest it's a mixed bag.

A critical thinker would look at both the successes and failures and attempt to determine what factors lead to best possible schooling for our children.

Are you a parent?

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
You aren't thinking critically. You're merely trying to support your belief that Charters schools are better when evidence suggest it's a mixed bag.

A critical thinker would look at both the successes and failures and attempt to determine what factors lead to best possible schooling for our children.

Are you a parent?

charter school performance is mixed bag for the general population ie white kids but all studies have shown that charter school improve the performance for black kids

according to you i have kids in mexico so apparently im a parent

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
charter school performance is mixed bag for the general population ie white kids but all studies have shown that charter school improve the performance for black kids

according to you i have kids in mexico so apparently im a parent
You've previously fought against me when I've given you data stating that black men are the least educated class in this country.

But I want to address your inconsistencies first.

I posted analysis that said increased school funding explains the gains we've seen in chapter schools. You told me I was wrong. But you also said this:

the whole point of school reform is to make sure that por kids are getting the same level of education as a wealthy person

so yes you do need to compare wealthy school districts to inner city poor disctrict, how would you know what the state of education is or wether you are making progress?

Yesterday, you discounted the argument that the displacement of poor AAs increases test scores, yet you previously argued that poor, underrepresented AAs have been ignored by the school system to hide its failures.

I'm not sure what you are saying that contradicts anything except you are using words to obfuscate the basic point, bottom line is that in aa for academics, standards related to test scores and grades are lowered for underrepresented minorities

I don't think aa is a solution becuase it doesn't deal with why the underrepresented minority student has lower grades or test scores in the first place

But here's the kicker for me:
in other words if 30% of urban prep students get kicked out but 50% of african american males are dropping out of regular public schools, then urban prep is doing a better job than regular public schools

and the same goes with the test figures, you have to compare the test scores of urban prep with the test scores of the same demographic not with the entire state, if its doing better than the same demographic then its doing better, if its not doing as well as the entire state then thats just something that needs to be worked on, that wouldnt be evidence of failure

:jbhmm:

Shouldn't you be comparing the improvement ofsimilar demographics in public schools with the same increase in funding as opposed to the lesser funded schools?
:mjgrin:

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I would guess that if you switch to all charter schools they'll end up facing the same issues that public schools do.

The truth is, I've worked with some awesome teachers, and a whole lot of mopes. The vast...vast majority of the time the kids that excell do so regardless, and the kids that don't are the same. And the majority of those times the students who excell are the ones whose parents are invested in their education, or in their life in some way.

Government isn't going to be the solution, charters isnt, test scores isn't, higher teacher salaries isnt, Republicans won't, Democrats won't, etc. It's a lot of wasted energy arguing over it, and it seems the majority of people who do are doing so more in service of their politics than anything else.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I would guess that if you switch to all charter schools they'll end up facing the same issues that public schools do.

The truth is, I've worked with some awesome teachers, and a whole lot of mopes. The vast...vast majority of the time the kids that excell do so regardless, and the kids that don't are the same. And the majority of those times the students who excell are the ones whose parents are invested in their education, or in their life in some way.

Government isn't going to be the solution, charters isnt, test scores isn't, higher teacher salaries isnt, Republicans won't, Democrats won't, etc. It's a lot of wasted energy arguing over it, and it seems the majority of people who do are doing so more in service of their politics than anything else.

Within a certain limited context your statement is somewhat true. I've seen schools with mostly crappy teachers where the kids turned out okay anyways. And I've seen some good teachers work really hard and a lot of their students still "failed". But that's not always true - I've also seen some pretty incredible schools take kids who were headed the wrong way and really turn a lot of their lives around. Not all the kids, not always, they didn't create a "miracle", but there were kids' lives that were definitely changed.

Most of all, though, I believe your observations are an indictment of the very narrow limits and expectations American schools set for their students. The longer I've studied education, the more I've realized that we're doing almost EVERYTHING wrong, and getting the expected results. We prioritize obedience over actual interest, correct behavior over meaningful engagement, achievement over personal growth, and grades over learning. And so we reap the fruits of that - those students who are primed by their families to obey, behavior "correctly", and achieve high test scores and grades are ready to excel in our system, and those who need the school to help them get somewhere....aren't going to get there.

There are a lot better ways. I'd love to see more charter schools, or the public system itself, begin to address them.

Last edited: