I made a thread like this. Y'all called me obsessed

But your gayyyy sooooo ...
Lmao

RIjDtWf.gif

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So (forgive me), I've never been to New Orleans.

Seems like a lot of people make their way to the Big Easy at least once for Mardi Gras, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

In any case, yesterday at the bar someone mentioned that the NY accent is actually derived from the New Orleans accent...and that it made its way to New York via travelers...since both NY and NO are port cities.

So I looked up New Orleans accent and this lady was talking...

Is this really how people in New Orleans sound?

I've been led to believe that Southern drawl was all over the south.
Apparently not

:patrice:

Do you have a Southern accent?

Every state has a diff accent.

I used to think North Carolinians sounded southern... then I moved to Tennessee :huhldup:
Also, most Texans don't have the stereotypical Texas accent.

I've lived in the south/southwest most of my life, but i've never picked up a southern accent.

I dont think its possible for foreigners to completely adopt american accents tho :patrice:

Its not like one day my dad or my cousins are gonna start sounding American :russ:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Educate us breh.

I've only ever heard the thick "southern drawl/twang" in rural areas tbh....once you move to the big cities in The South it starts shifting. For example, most people from the South would think someone from the A talks fast. nikkas in places like South Florida and New Orleans got they own sound....you can recognize it the moment you hear it.

The funny thing is the southern english is more likely closer to the Queens English than any other part of America due to lack of diversity and isolation in its formation years.

Shoog Shatmi

All Star
Daps
I met a pawg once who had a Yat accent. I thought for sure she was from NY, so I was surprised when she told me she was from NOLA because I had never heard that accent before despite having visited there several times. From what I understand, Yat is mainly a working class white (and creole) accent that is quickly disappearing. I've never heard any black New Orleanians with that accent.