new hood movie "Kicks"

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Don't know after first watching this.

I just watched it yesterday, it was pretty uneven. Half the time the dialogue was stilted as fukk and the other half it was more natural. All the convos between the main 3 characters when they were talkin about bytches had me like :dwillhuh:, nikkas out here don't talk like that, not even nerds lol. Weirdly a lot of the side characters were a lot more natural than the main 3, the main character's two dread cousins in West Oakland were believable and Flacko was believable.

There were moments in the film that did not feel real to the location though... Especially the scene where dude walks into the cousins' house and starts trippin over colors :patrice:nikkas in the town don't flag or rep colors, that's strictly migo shyt

The movie's plot was ok but there was a degree of awkwardness to the writing in the whole movie that took me out of it. There were a couple dope scenes though, the sideshow scene felt real.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
One thing that was also dope was how many local artist cameos there were. From what I remember I saw Koran Streets, Mistah FAB, Main Attrakionz and a few others.

Passaro

All Star
Daps
Just finished it a few minutes ago. It was straight, nothing to write home about; but it gets to the point.

Passaro

All Star
Daps
Oh, and I took the Astronaut as a representation of his innocence/dreams. The film kind of did well blurring the lines between characters. One moment I felt pity for Brandon, but other times I saw Flacko (sp?) in a different light. I expected the little kid plot early, but it still worked. Either way, the end came off like the Brandon's innocence being shot (literally). Rico's line "You're a man now" and Brandon's entire demeanor shift left me confused about his future. It just seems like the movie was almost like a prequel to explain how Brandon WILL end up. I don't expect Brandon will recover his sense of self. He's almost like the anti-thesis to Q's character in Juice by the end. I feel like Brandon will probably embrace that life (considering he'll probably be getting tested left and right as he grows up)

If anything, Flacko was probably just like Brandon when he was younger. I'm probably looking too deep into all of it; but I did find the dynamic between the characters interesting by end credits. The whole point of the scenes with Cottonm-I mean Brandon's uncle kind of foreshadowed what I mentioned earlier; considering Brandon never even used that piece. But he'll "need it" in the future.

Apologies if I spoiled anything. I tried to dance around heavy spoilers as best as I could.