Never knew The Infamous by Mobb Deep was so dope

GhettoNintendo

chill its a secret b
Daps
Reppin
nyc.
lol, good thread, nothing to add, everything has been said, i wouldnt put the hell on earth and murda muzik on the same level though, i would give those albums a nine, and yeah mobb misses mixtape is a must

CNN war report, Illmatic, 36 chambers and Infamous are the alpha and omega of NYC public housing music

one of the best unreleased gems here, with some group ACD

lol @ public housing music but, yeah these albums pretty much sum up NYC or ''the old NYC'' at least. NY is like disneyland now.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what: u missing out famo...i listen to it atleast once a week

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
lol @ public housing music but, yeah these albums pretty much sum up NYC or ''the old NYC'' at least. NY is like disneyland now.

yeah people dont usually describe it as project music, but that is what it really is, i dont think jay-z or biggie or many other ny rappers captured that, other nyc rappers might have made hood music or pop music or political music but that broken elevator/piss in the hallway/ running through the gauntlet in the lobby essence captured by said records is just :banderas:

Last edited:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
lol, wait till you get to Apostle's warning. Probably the best Prodigy verse I've ever heard. :ohlawd:

I used to sleep on Apostle's Warning... didn't even really listen to it like that.. til one day I really listened, and was like :ooh: @how P blacked on it.

nas blacked out on eye for a eye...and then came back and did the same shyt again on verbal intercourse

The way he was just building his brand at the time, waaaaaaaaaay before the term of branding even got trendy, was just :wow: ...

Don't forget the Screwball feature, too. Killed it. Might actually be the second best... Verbal Int. > On the Real > Eye for an Eye

yeah people dont usually describe it as project music, but that is what it really is...

Funny you mention that...was listening to the Murda Muzik album recently reassessing Hav's production style , and that exact word popped in my head as a descriptor.

It's project shyt. It embodies the projects in such a brilliant way.

His drums, arrangements, sample selection and usage...everything. It embodies project living... perspective, everything. You can't manufacture it either. You had to have lived it and lived in that environment. It embodies hip-hop...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the TS, sometimes when you weren't in the era when an album dropped, you don't get to experience the contextual backdrop. It doesn't matter really because the music speaks for itself.

But here's some background for the TS...

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/04/the-making-of-mobb-deep-the-infamous/
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/05/prodigy-25-essentials/front-lines-hell-on-earth

Last edited:

GhettoNintendo

chill its a secret b
Daps
Reppin
nyc.
yeah people dont usually describe it as project music, but that is what it really is, i dont think jay-z or biggie or many other ny rappers captured that, other nyc rappers might have made hood music or pop music or political music but that broken elevator/piss in the hallway/ running through the gauntlet in the lobby essence captured by said records is just :banderas:
:banderas:nikka I'd give you 1000 daps if i were able to for that imagery. I feel like I'm in the projects whenever I listen to Mobb Deep. Taking the N train to Manhattan and stopping at queensboro plaza seeing QB in the distance :banderas::whew:. That stench of piss you smell when you walk in them project elevators and arrive at the floor you wanted to only to end up in a light brown brick hallway filled with blue doors and golden peepholes or w.e you use to knock on the door with. :banderas:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Man Prodigy had a claim for best rapper, besides Nas, around the time of Hell On Earth