NetFlix's "Death Note" Accused Of White-Washing

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
What made Light a great villain but borderline anti-hero was that he was a sociopath but brilliant and logical. A stone cold calculating killer who was nearly perfect in every way both physically and intellectually. The only person he had any sort of emotional connection or respect for was L.

This show looks like they make him into some sort of emo kid who is mad at bullies who gets an incredible power to take revenge. Which weve seen a dozen times in many stories. Basically another Y.A. novel.

Too bad. Japans production values are trash and America cant help and westernize the story. We may never get a true live action adaption

I was telling my wife the exact same thing.

They went with every American movie/show trope to tell the story and it held it back. At one point, they were borderline making Light a sympathetic character with his backstory and how they flipped Mia. When I finished watching it, I was thinking they might of been better served either making a prequel or a continuation after the anime as much as they changed the story. No way they could get the game of cat and mouse that L and Light had going in 2 hours especially if they changing characters personalities.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I wouldn't have a problem with white washing if it made the product better. It's just fiction after all.
But I have yet to see a live action adaption of an anime with a predominantly white cast that didn't suck. I don't even mean average or redeemable they all literally are awful and they often flop financially, so there isn't really a reason to do it. Nothing personal, my opinion is the same with vegan soul food. Some shyt just doesn't work together. Now if they white washed a bollywood movie that would work alot better. There is something inherently corny about musicals and Indians in general, So white people can pull that off.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Black L was the highlight of the movie.
Breh nailed it.
Other than that, fitting the entire series into an hour and a half movie was a bad look.
Nothing has anything close to the impact that it had in the cartoon.
If you're new to Death Note, skip this movie and watch the cartoon.
The cartoon is one of the best of its kind.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I'm watching this now NEVER saw the anime so I'm going in Fresh... This Riyuk, Willam Dafoe was scary as fukk.... :merchant: holy shyt... nightmare fuel...