Netflix movie - His House - African Folklore Horror

Daps
What others are dropping?

Netflix Vampires VS. The Bronx - Came out today )

Saint Maud (October 9th) -

Synchronic (Oct 23rd) -

The Witches- HBOMAX - (Oct. 22nd)

Truth Seekers - (Oct 30th) Amazon -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8b-ZIQ4e8

Black Box - Amazon X Blumhouse - (Oct. 6th) -

Nocture (Amazon X Blumhouse) - (Oct 13th)

Evil Eye (Amazon X Blumhouse) (Oct 13th) -

Possessor (now playing in theaters but I think it got leaked a while back online) -

That's off the top of my head for rn.

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting, I wonder if they will make the black man the villain. Cant have a functioning black couple in media.

Daps
I just saw the trailer for this on the nextflix app. This movie looks amazing. Counting down the days it gets released.
I am refraining from reading any articles or extra clips about the movie. I wanna go in completely blind( not really cuz I watched the trailer) but I don't know what to make of it.

JealousOnesEn_V

HTX Certified
Daps
That's a dope idea for a movie. Can't wait.

But...after looking at those comments...is anyone else getting tired of everyone saying it reminds them of "Get Out" every time some black people star in a horror film?

Well he did say “GET OUT” in the trailer :troll:
Nah but seriously, it does look inspired by Jordan Peele

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Almost here brehs. :blessed:

I like that the premise of the film creates a valid reason for them to not just get the hell out of the house. Normally they put a bunch of folks in a house and as fukkery ensues they'll have some dumb jock say some shyt like 'Hey, don't let this ruin our vacation!' like did your ass not see blood pouring from the walls?

:gucci:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Netflix Vampires VS. The Bronx - Came out today )

Saint Maud (October 9th) -

Synchronic (Oct 23rd) -

The Witches- HBOMAX - (Oct. 22nd)

Truth Seekers - (Oct 30th) Amazon -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8b-ZIQ4e8

Black Box - Amazon X Blumhouse - (Oct. 6th) -

Nocture (Amazon X Blumhouse) - (Oct 13th)

Evil Eye (Amazon X Blumhouse) (Oct 13th) -

Possessor (now playing in theaters but I think it got leaked a while back online) -

That's off the top of my head for rn.

:ohhh:

Daps
Where this film suffers most is that it doesn't harness its quieter shades of horror enough. Ironically, the moments that exist outside the house itself, and in the sharp subtext, tell its story to greater effect than the literal imagery does, which are, unfortunately, seldomly solemn. It's as if the spiral started and we're only dropped in midway through, and it kept us going around and around in the same spot (which only desensitized us to its narrative), rather than starting from the top and we spiral further and further into the unknown.

It would've benefitted from not showing us literally what Dirisu and Mosaku saw, and letting their respective state of minds walk us through the dread that they were experiencing. As I always say with horror: the monster is always scarier when you never get to see it.

Last edited:

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
This movie has a lot of potential and I think would be better if they expanded on the setting they were in as well.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Where this film suffers most is that it doesn't harness its quieter shades of horror enough. Ironically, the moments that exist outside the house itself, and in the sharp subtext, tell its story to greater effect than the literal imagery does, which are, unfortunately, seldomly solemn. It's as if the spiral started and we're only dropped in midway through, and it kept us going around and around in the same spot (which only desensitized us to its narrative), rather than starting from the top and we spiral further and further into the unknown.

It would've benefitted from not showing us literally what Dirisu and Mosaku saw, and letting their respective state of minds walk us through the dread that they were experiencing. As I always say with horror: the monster is always scarier when you never get to see it.
I partly agree. I think they handled the horror perfectly early on but they pulled away the curtain a bit too early which leaves the midsection of the film lingering without any suspense or dread before it gets to its conclusion. Once it gets there it did pick up enough for me to end on an overall strong note.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought this was really good. Not just good for a Netflix movie but genuinely good.

It did a nice job of solving the “why don’t they just leave?” question that you see with most haunted house movies. First half was genuinely scary, second half was heartbreaking. Symbolism was on point and the whole subtext of immigrants being conflicted with assimilating with their new culture and not forgetting their past was very well done. Highly recommend this.