Naughtydog is one of if not the most overrated gaming company in the business

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
Half agree. ND was better when they were in their creative bag. Games like TLOU and UC don't have any character imo. Just faux cinematic games with clunky ass movement and a generic white dude protagonist. :russell:

Its the recipe for success right now though, so I'm not even mad.:ehh:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I feel like when you say TLOU story is generic you musta just watched a review or read a summary or something.

Yes the backdrop of zombie apocalypse and one person is immune let's make a cure is not new.

The backdrop is generic, sure. But the way the story is told, the pacing, the characters themselves, the character interactions, the voice acting, the dialogue, the world building, the crescendos between tense survival and emotional moments. Not only are these not generic, they are some of the best ever done in video games.

I get zombie fatigue, and I am not arguing that the overarching concept in TLOU is not generic. The execution however is at an absurdly high level.

Also not sure why the combat/gameplay gets a bad wrap. Grounded in TLOU was one of the most gratifying gameplay experiences I've ever had tbh. And TLOU online was amongst the most underrated I have ever played. Worst part about the game is move box/pallette puzzles.

To each their own :manny:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Fanboys, chill out :ufdup:

Hear me out, then run your mouth...

With the console war being what it be, Naughtydog receives praise just for being exclusive. Insomniac gets the same treatment but for this thread we'll focus on ND. Crash Bandicoot was never a fantastic game. The first was cool at the time because it was bringing us 3D gameplay so to speak but looking back it was temple run with a little more to do and a story :yeshrug:

The uncharted series is good as a whole, but individually it's not as great. Uncharted 1 was a good game, excellent for its time but overall just good. Uncharted 2 is Naughtydog's best work. UC3 I enjoyed but the masses didn't care for it and that's why the series is in limbo. UC4 is hyped but nobody plays it, the multiplayer that was so important during the uc2 years has never returned to its glory, not in this community so you can't lie to me :francis:

The last of us is another movie game, they're great at that but what else is great? Is the gameplay that outstanding or is it today's console war climate that compels you to say it's flawless? Because be it uncharted or TLOU I never see anyone discussing any flaws. But the online modes in all Naughtydog games have been broken since uncharted 2 :gucci:

Why do Naughtydog games get passes for their online issues? :patrice:

Damn, you right. :dead::dead:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel like when you say TLOU story is generic you musta just watched a review or read a summary or something.

Yes the backdrop of zombie apocalypse and one person is immune let's make a cure is not new.

The backdrop is generic, sure. But the way the story is told, the pacing, the characters themselves, the character interactions, the voice acting, the dialogue, the world building, the crescendos between tense survival and emotional moments. Not only are these not generic, they are some of the best ever done in video games.

I get zombie fatigue, and I am not arguing that the overarching concept in TLOU is not generic. The execution however is at an absurdly high level.

Also not sure why the combat/gameplay gets a bad wrap. Grounded in TLOU was one of the most gratifying gameplay experiences I've ever had tbh. And TLOU online was amongst the most underrated I have ever played. Worst part about the game is move box/pallette puzzles.

To each their own :manny:
Yup you said it perfectly. The same goes for Uncharted too. I initially thought UC was wack when I first saw it and thought it to be some generic shyt but when I played it I fell in love with the feel and chemistry between the characters and the way the presentation and gameplay was intertwined. UC2 was groundbreaking and I felt like after that game was when I started to see more action set piece driven gameplay start to appear. It did it masterfully. Hiding behind cover shooting dudes is nothing new but hiding behind cover that can be destroyed all the while a helicopter just starts blowing up the environment and building that you're in? While you still are playing with the floors and roof collapsing?

That shyt was mindblowing for a game back in 2009.

UC3's plane scene was stupid wild too. Had me looking at the trailer over and over before it
launched like "HOW THE fukk IS HE GOING TO SURVIVE THAT!?!"

The pacing in UC2 was tighter than stripped screw. Outside of the slightly slow museum scene, the game flowed perfectly.

This game and that scene right here might have been the spark to my Playstation stan life. It was at that moment where I said to myself, "Damn, this shyt is fukking crazy :wow:"

Gameplay wise I felt UC2 felt more free flowing and smooth compared to other TPS even gears. It just felt like the controls reacted to what I wanted to do on a dime.

Of course this is just another "Let's knock down a classic a peg or two thread" from a suspected Xbox stan :pachaha:

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Yup you said it perfectly. The same goes for Uncharted too. I initially thought UC was wack when I first saw it and thought it to be some generic shyt but when I played it I fell in love with the feel and chemistry between the characters and the way the presentation and gameplay was intertwined. UC2 was groundbreaking and I felt like after that game was when I started to see more action set piece driven gameplay start to appear. It did it masterfully. Hiding behind cover shooting dudes is nothing new but hiding behind cover that can be destroyed all the while a helicopter just starts blowing up the environment and building that you're in? While you still are playing with the floors and roof collapsing?

That shyt was mindblowing for a game back in 2009.

UC3's plane scene was stupid wild too. Had me looking at the trailer over and over before it
launched like "HOW THE fukk IS HE GOING TO SURVIVE THAT!?!"

The pacing in UC2 was tighter than stripped screw. Outside of the slightly slow museum scene, the game flowed perfectly.

This game and that scene right here might have been the spark to my Playstation stan life. It was at that moment where I said to myself, "Damn, this shyt is fukking crazy :wow:"

Gameplay wise I felt UC2 felt more free flowing and smooth compared to other TPS even gears. It just felt like the controls reacted to what I wanted to do on a dime.

Of course this is just another "Let's knock down a classic a peg or two thread" from a suspected Xbox stan :pachaha:

When uncharted 3 landed, it improved all of that and had real physics in place. The gamers didn't like that, this negative review made the internet turn its back on uncharted 3.

Here's why most didn't even play it. Because til this day you'll hear some people say uc2 was better but UC3 had essentially had all of uc2's levels just improved, had its own epic levels like the gears of war sandstorm level they copied.

This forum was heavy into uncharted 2, when 3 dropped I'll never forget it. Sony fans was like nah, I'm good with mass effect 3 :stop: and the band never got back together. Only @Fatboi1 was there jumping rooftops with me on the regular :to:

Yet, once another ND Game releases everyone goes :gladbron: for two weeks then nobody talks about it or plays it again. I feel ND is appreciated but not respected by Sony faithfuls. Y'all don't respect uncharted like that. I feel the current tomb raider gets more love.

I'm am admitted uncharted fanboy btw :manny:

Last edited:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
When uncharted 3 landed, it improved all of that and had real physics in place. The gamers didn't like that, this negative review made the internet turn its back on uncharted 3.

Here's why most didn't even play it. Because til this day you'll hear some people say uc2 was better but UC3 had essentially had all of uc2's levels just improved, had its own epic levels like the gears of war sandstorm level they copied.

This forum was heavy into uncharted 2, when 3 dropped I'll never forget it. Sony fans was like nah, I'm good with mass effect 3 :stop: and the band never got back together. Only @Fatboi1 was there jumping rooftops with me on the regular :to:

Yet, once another ND Game releases everyone goes :gladbron: for two weeks then nobody talks about it or plays it again. I feel ND is appreciated but not respected by Sony faithfuls. Y'all don't respect uncharted like that. I feel the current tomb raider gets more love.

I'm am admitted uncharted fanboy btw :manny:

:mjlol: Shadow of the Flop? A game that's physical sales are down 70% from 2013's reboot? Ok sure :heh:

Lara got sent out to die in the buildings Peter Parker crushed :wow:

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
:mjlol: Shadow of the Flop? A game that's physical sales are down 70% from 2013's reboot? Ok sure :heh:

Lara got sent out to die in the buildings Peter Parker crushed :wow:
Physical sales are down across the board :dahell:

The game came out recently, school just started, money is tighter right now for a lot of families. I don't expect many games to sell great in September. I can tell you this..if this was uncharted? There would be a 60pg thread with people talking about nothing. And nobody would be trying to play it. When is the last time you played uncharted 4 Mr Brandi

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
TLOU would've been better off as a movie.

Uncharted 2 is the best game ND ever made though

• Dap
Reactions: PS4