Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Thank god, he even knew Magic 2 was kinda trash
With this album coming out, I'm 100% sure this was Nas and Hit-Boy's plan for a while. It all makes perfect sense. Drop the last album on Nas' 50th birthday as a way to close the book, with Magic 2 in the summer.

He has a lot of misses for how incredible of an artist he is. WSG isn't 10% of the rapper Nas is, but had a run of about 6-7 years of routinely picking excellent beats.

You can't be at Nas' level and be a terrible beat picker. It doesn't work like that. He wouldn't have the career he's had if his ear for beats wasn't at least decent.

That's the crazy thing about this Hit-Boy run. There hasn't been one song that you can objectively say is hot garbage and should have never been made. Nothing universally panned like "Big Girl," "Who Killed It," "Summer on Smash," or "Jarreau of Rap." All people are going to remember from these albums is quality and consistency.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
I am surprised that people really hated those Hit-Boy NAS albums:wtf: All those albums were solid, except Magic 2.

I wasn't Feeling KDIII all that much. Production-wise Magic 2 was ass besides 1 song.

*disclaimer: lyrically Nas has been on point for all of these*

I just don't think the production style meshes as well as other producers would have. I'd rather hear a mix of different producers, give hit boy a track if you feel the need, but get laced with some alc, premier, Havoc, darringer, large pro, fukking tragedy khadafi, shyt even camouflage, throw a bone to an underground NYC producer or two.

Hit boy's style is just too neat & polished for me, it doesn't seem to fit when it's over an entire album. Has ZERO NYC feel to it either.

Look at what Alc was lacing prodigy & Griselda with...Nas over that ish would be heaven sent

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like that all magic covers artwork have a similar "effect" or filter if you like

My expectations are more reserved than the last but its still Nas so... goat gon goat, he's the chosen one

Switch

All Star
Daps
Magic 3 was disappointing even tho had some good songs, hopefully this ends the trilogy on a good note.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's crazy because Nas used to take mad long between albums. The time bt Life is Good and Lost Tapes 2 was like 6-7 years.

And between Untitled and Life is Good was like 4 full years.

Nas blessing us with this much music now is crazy. 5 albums in 3 years with Hit

Don't know why he wasn't doing this 10 years ago
Then you got mf's mad cause he clicked with a producer and they're....producing.