Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
HitBoy deserves his flowers too. He’s really laced Nas this whole KD Run
OlCpiiR.png

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let me know what’s the deal with that concert. Once tickets go on sale. I’m 90% sure I’m going.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
one thing cats forgot (because we been spoiled with all these projects)

when people keep naming producers... or shytting on hitboy in general

is that you cant let Nas go free... he's super creative and the GOAT
if you just throw names out to work with... he's gonna pick weird shyt to rap on like Canibus and Em
real emcees challenge themselves and do weird shyt

you gotta keep Nas on these focused, straight hiphop beats
hitboy's versatility and focus is really understated here... someone said 100 pages ago that he added layers of touches to songs
and I laughed because its normal for a good producer... but its obvious alot of these stylings were through Nas suggestion... it takes a tuned in producer to seamlessly make it work and do it with that hiphop flair

I worked with a dude like that once and it was nuts... id reference something and he would pull a 1950s movie out and have a sample that matched what I said already on deck ... or know a line from his record collection he could scratch in seamlessly in 1-2 minutes

Hitboy keeps Nas focused, and maybe because he's young and smart... Nas doesnt challenge or ask him for weird shyt... he just thinks "This young dude is great and knows the current sound" so he trusts it
That's what makes these tapes amazing... its just completely focused with no experimentation or overdone bullshyt
This is what people have wanted, and why certain Nas albums have super cohesiveness... obviously they are all good because he's GOAT
but getting punched in your face by every single song is relentless when it has NAS floating at the same time... it doesnt break rhythm of the albums

Like a Nas and Madlib album might have super high points ... but its gonna have weird shyt in between that you'll want to skip
Just give us raw, relentless hiphop like this for 15-17 song projects... put all the experimental shyt on its own disc if you do it. And then state (this is experimental one) I feel like "The N" is cohesive like this too, besides "we make the world go round" He just got straight hiphop beats and then had to do his concept songs over hard shyt.... it breaks the albums cohesiveness if you throw in a random experimental song

like Lost Tapes 1 works because of the vibe and amount of slower songs to vibe with... so Fetus, blends with Drunk By Myself, Poppa Was A Playa, Purple, Doo Rags etc. Hit Boys pace keeps Nas feeling strong and thought out where he can float. Even the song with Lauryn has some pace to show urgency... its like Hitboy's BPM and drum pace was like "Yall better be laid back and cool but this song is gonna GO... dont slow down and get cute with shyt" Other producers would be doing all types of weird shyt and switching up to try to match artistry, instead of just bringing that hiphop boom bap out. Rza used to be good at that shyt too... like here's the raw shyt... go off or get cut off the song :yeshrug: this aint no slouch shyt to experiment. Some of the best Andre 3000 shyt is when the producer just laced him with unrelenting shyt that didnt compromise to his desires. It does work alot, but sometimes a producer has to challenge the artist and force them to crush the buildings without changing up shyt.
People brought up Eminem and Revival (which was terrible trash to me as a fan) and its a good example... it changes pace constantly, and is hard to listen to.... but with Relapse, you just get plodding huge beats and no changes... Eminem is just forced to go off and "be an artist" no cute bullshyt and bending to the artists will. Creative artists will talk the plane into the ground sometimes and need a good producer to keep shyt on track. Kanye was good too, but his last few projects are all over the place. He only gets away with it because he's a producer. But his older, amazing shyt is focused and proves the point. Canibus too, amazing LPs with Bronze Nazareth, Stoupe and Pete... but let him decide and he's rapping over experimental weird shyt just to try it.
Keep Nas focused and in this place that we've been waiting for him to be at ... honestly the Kanye shyt I said goes back to their EP together... Kanye is too scatterbrained and Nas will just roll with it... bad combo really. They both will start dreaming and doing weird shyt together. Madlib, Alc and Primo do get experimental at times and I dont want that from a NAS CD ... do more hitboy and just throw them 1-2 features of best songs or not include them at all. Throw some Havoc in there, he doesnt get cute with shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Review from Why Now

4/5 Stars

“He basks in his success, reminisces on his past, and is able to put his thoughts into words better than almost anyone. King’s Disease III is yet another stellar edition to perhaps the greatest catalogue of releases in hip-hop history.”

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Review from Why Now

4/5 Stars

“He basks in his success, reminisces on his past, and is able to put his thoughts into words better than almost anyone. King’s Disease III is yet another stellar edition to perhaps the greatest catalogue of releases in hip-hop history.”

would love for them to speak of who is this almost anyone they are referring to.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Well after a full listen,

Hitboy has pretty much mastered every style or at the very least the most versatile hip hop producer to me...every album the beats got better and better

Kd3 tops all the previous albums because it's more consistent from top to bottom,both lyrically and production wise.

What can I say about Nas that hasn't been said, he's my personal goat followed by jay ,black thought, Lupe and common, odd list I know but f ya'll 😂

P.s that bonus track annoying the fukk outta me:scust: thank God it was a bonus track

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Riff Magazine review

No score but HIGHLY FAVORABLE write up

“The bright, synth-driven “Hood2Hood” is about communities bonding together and taking care of their own. The album’s best-produced song is easily “Recession Proof,” which makes the most out of very little with a dynamic, rumbling bass melody that’s paired with rattling snares. Nas flexes his muscles as a storyteller, discussing how he survived life in the hood during his youth. It’s almost like this is a lost track. It would’ve been right at home on his first release.”