NAS I AM appreciation

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was a double album

Exactly.

The track list that people are posting on here was indeed the track list for the bootleg that surfaced before the album came out. But everyone knew that the bootleg wasn't the entire album. It was missing "Nas is Like" (which was already out) and other songs that had been mentioned but had not yet been released (I think "You Won't See Me Tonight" was being mentioned in early advertisements).

The original plan was a double album, but that plan was scrapped (I don't know if that was because of the bootleg, or because the record label thought it would make more sense to release a single album, or a combination of factors). After the double album plan was scrapped, the official line was that instead of a double album, Nas would release two discs separately, with the second one (Nastradamus) being released later in the year.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Uneven. Some super highs with Nas is Like, NY State of Mind, Hate Me Now, and Undying Love. Maybe a few more good to great songs. And a bunch of ok to meh/ehh to forgettable to bad.
This. It’s a 3.5 type album. The idea that it’s amazing seems more like a stan reaction to criticism than anything real. It’s not bad, not great. The typical late 90s rap album with a mixture of trendy production, trendy features, dope singles, pop radio rap attempts, and a couple tracks for the “real” hip hop heads. Something for everyone, to sell as many records as possible. A lot of albums did that in 99 and I Am wasn’t the best of them.

A lot of better albums came out that year which makes attempts to crown this even more puzzling. Black On Both Sides, Things Fall Apart, Vol 3, Chronic 2001, Murda Muzik, Operation Doomsday, etc.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember this too

I remember seeing this one in The Source and other magazines

RVcEn_pqBQnecrfhhFy9hEiKKElbMy_I_Xl_7x3gG4A.jpg

JMD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
  1. Fetus (Belly Button Window)

2. NY State Of Mind Pt. II

3. Life Is What You Make It

4. Small World

5. Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive

6. Poppa Was a Playa

7. Nas Is Like

8. Blaze A 50

9. Favor For A Favor

10. We Will Survive

11. Some Of Us Have Angels

12. Project Windows

13. Day Dreaming, Stay Scheming

14. Sometimes I Wonder

15. Undying Love
Disc 2

1. After Life (Intro)

2. Amongst Kings

3. Life We Chose

4. Drunk By Myself

5. Pray

6. God Love Us

7. Ghetto Prisoners

8. Last Words

9. Family

10. Come Get Me

11. Find Your Wealth

12. U Gotta Love It

13. Wanna Play Rough

14. The Rise And Fall

15. My Worst Enemy
this might be it

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
  1. Fetus (Belly Button Window)

2. NY State Of Mind Pt. II

3. Life Is What You Make It

4. Small World

5. Hardest Thing To Do Is Stay Alive

6. Poppa Was a Playa

7. Nas Is Like

8. Blaze A 50

9. Favor For A Favor

10. We Will Survive

11. Some Of Us Have Angels

12. Project Windows

13. Day Dreaming, Stay Scheming

14. Sometimes I Wonder

15. Undying Love
Disc 2

1. After Life (Intro)

2. Amongst Kings

3. Life We Chose

4. Drunk By Myself

5. Pray

6. God Love Us

7. Ghetto Prisoners

8. Last Words

9. Family

10. Come Get Me

11. Find Your Wealth

12. U Gotta Love It

13. Wanna Play Rough

14. The Rise And Fall

15. My Worst Enemy
this might be it

I am pretty sure most of the Nastradamus tracks were recorded after I Am was released

I doubt that was the originally intended track list

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I am pretty sure most of the Nastradamus tracks were recorded after I Am was released

Yeah, the rumored listing and bootlegging was winter of 98/99.

JMD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

yeah, I think your right

trying to find that Source issue that reviewed it, not sure if it had the tracklisting on it tho

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember seeing this one in The Source and other magazines

RVcEn_pqBQnecrfhhFy9hEiKKElbMy_I_Xl_7x3gG4A.jpg

This is dope. It coincides with interviews where he wanted "You Won't See Me Tonight" as a single. I think he even performed "You Won't See Me Tonight" on Soul Train.

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, I think your right

trying to find that Source issue that reviewed it, not sure if it had the tracklisting on it tho

I remember The Source review. It got 4.5 mics, which built up the anticipation even more (I think I Am was definitely one of the most highly anticipated albums that I can remember). I think anticipation was so high that disappointment was inevitable, and as a result, I Am has become very underrated. I like it more than It Was Written.

Anyway, The Source review didn't mention any songs that weren't on the retail version, so I think they reviewed the version that we got. I think maybe one or two songs had different names though (they referred to "I Want To Talk To You" as "C.I.A." if I remember correctly).

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first 7 songs on I Am... not including the intro are all :whew:. Then it gets inconsistent. "Nas Is Like" and "Undying Love" are the gems of the last half of the album.