Name the Strongest, black male lead roles in film depicted as family/community leaders...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I'm thinking some of y'all didn't read the first post...

list of strong, black male roles who were a lead in a film and depicted as a leader of his family and/or community and not fatally flawed...

...try to refrain from the depictions of actual people in biopics and such...

...this is hard when you put these stipulations on...

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
James Earl Jones twofer (coming to America ad Mufasa)

TV wise: James Evans in Good Times, Benjamin Sisko and his daddy both in Deep Space 9, the dentist father in that interracial show (True Colors?) from 30 years ago on Fox, Charles Dutton and his wife's daddy in Roc,

Bill Cosby himself (fukk a bunch of haters).

and maybe the first President Palmer in 24.

An argument could also be made for Kunta Kinte. Considering the shyt he went through...

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps

True. All of the real lead characters mentioned in this thread that are community/family leaders but aren't "fatally flawed" are based on real people. The Pursuit of Happyness was based on the true story of a homeless man living in the Tenderloin (San Francisco).

It really says a lot when you think about it... Hollywood goes through a lot of trouble to undermine any strong black male character and takes every opportunity to portray us being unfit/undeserving/incompetent/evil when we have any kind of power that isn't given out or controlled by white people.

Furious Styles might really be the only strong black male lead character who was community/family focused that was intentionally written that way by the screenwriters of a major motion picture:ohhh: I know that he wasn't the lead but he was a main character for sure.

Last edited:

Rollo Goodlove

Palestine Titty
Daps
Reppin
California, America
Craig the true definition of a hood Nikka, he wasn't no street nikka wasn't in no bullshyt

Craig_Friday-1995.jpg

Hovsta

Pokemon Gang
Daps
Like another poster said this is a Furious Styles appreciation thread. Not only is he one of the greatest black community male leaders who is a great man he is one of the greatest regardless of race. I mean he regularly gets compared to Atticus Finch from to Kill a mocking bird.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Nick Styles, played by Denzel, from Ricochet. As a matter of fact the the whole movie was based around the villain trying to tarnish his image.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.

True. All of the real lead characters mentioned in this thread that are community/family leaders but aren't "fatally flawed" are based on real people. The Pursuit of Happyness was based on the true story of a homeless man living in the Tenderloin (San Francisco).

It really says a lot when you think about it... Hollywood goes through a lot of trouble to undermine any strong black male character and takes every opportunity to portray us being unfit/undeserving/incompetent/evil when we have any kind of power that isn't given out or controlled by white people.

Furious Styles might really be the only strong black male lead character who was community/family focused that was intentionally written that way by the screenwriters of a major motion picture:ohhh: I know that he wasn't the lead but he was a main character for sure.

Exactly. that's what I was trying to engender from this... It is really, really fukkin' sad that I couldn't get past one hand when trying to name characters. I struggled to name three during a conversation about this...

I'm like "shyt, lemme take a survey..." ... Now I see everybody is stumped.

Night-of-the-Living-Dead-7.png

Ben from night of the living dead.

He held it down but you gotta see the ending for yourselves.

Gonna have to peep...

Last edited: