Name a comic book character you don't like.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Personally, I hated Wolverine. They always tried too hard to make him cool when I was a kid and overdid it.

Wolverine was the truth to me until they forgot there were other dope X-men and overused him to death.
Not to mention beating us over the head with loads of pointless stories that didn't need to be told about his past (which really demystified the character).

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The character wasn't perfect. As far as "never losing". He lost to Doom and was placed into a Coma.

Also if we want to get into "themes" of overcoming through seemingly impossible odds we have the very first arc we can reference. T'Challa and Wakanda being infiltrated by the very man who killed T'Challa's father, Klaw. Klaw had eluded T'Challa for years, haunting his thoughts and becoming a constant source of the trauma that he had dealt with as a child. Part of this very trauma and passion for vengeance separated him from the love of his life, Ororoe, when they were children. Klaw showed up, more powerful than ever, with an army of super powered individuals, kidnapped Ramonda, and placed Shuri in mortal danger. T'Challa, with the help of his fellow Wakandans and Storm, was able to defeat Klaw and bring his minions to justice. How does this NOT fit into "overcoming oppression like in real Africa"?

The bolded is more or less just a superhero story arc. I'm referring to T'Challa and his father becoming the greatest Panthers in Wakandan history by taking advantage of vibranium, and kickstarting a rise in power that exceeded the West in key aspects. It's pure fiction, but like I said, it's something actually parallel to the plight of real nations and thus relatable as an African.

Hulk Hogan lost a few times, but like T'Challa he rarely if ever experienced meaningful losses back in the day. I was obviously not saying that literally.

As far as Wakanda being "perfect" From the beginning of Wakanda's inception it was imagined as country that was completely untouched by the oppression, corruption, and pillage that Africa suffered through for the past 500 years, that is not a concept that originated with Mr Hudlin. It is a comic book and not to be taken literally. If there were indeed an Americanized Panther story where say, Texas, had somehow been unaffected by slavery and white supremacy, it again would be simply a fairy tale, not to be taken too literally. If you are African as you claim, I respect you having strong feelings towards the continents history of oppression, but again this a comic book about a man who has unlimited access to a rare alien mineral who dresses up as a panther and gains super natural strength through consumption of a magic plant. We're not talking about reality or even historical fiction here, we're talking about pure fantasy.

Lol, of course it's just fantasy. That's what we do though, we critique fiction and and as fans judge its quality, hence this thread. I said he's a shytty, shallow character under Hudlin because he's become a blatant Mary Sue character, and he's explicitly (if not overtly) African themed, yet he's African in name only. Writing a "black power" themed African hero and just ignoring everything relevant to the continent from the last 500-600 years Africa is fairly ridiculous. Wakandans (since the Hudlin run, said to be the most advanced people in human history since the dawn of mankind) just chilled while the rest of Africa experienced maafa. Just invalidates the whole point of making him "the" African superhero. At least in the Priest run, there was the underlying theme of elitism and Wakandans' morality being highly questionable when the 'advanced nation on the poorest continent' point surfaced.

And Wakanda was never originally the "most advanced nation to have ever been in human history" as it was written by Hudlin. T'Challa and T'Chaka revolutionized their nation and brought it into technological greatness in the modern age. There's nothing compelling about T'Challa himself if Wakanda was always this perfect land full untouchable warrior geniuses, and he just happened to be the latest perfect warrior genius guy to assume the mantle.

What I feel many people's issue with the Hudlin's run is that he went "old school" in the way that he depicted T'Challa, the hero, as an actual HERO. Who DOES save the day more so than he fails, and is does so in a manner that doesn't infer a pyrich victory. I enjoy and respect the Priest run immensely but it's not without its flaws. Priest was afraid of alienating Cacs and introduced Everett K. Ross as the mouth piece for T'Challa's adventures, which neutered the character of his own voice (some will argue this as a good thing as it contributed to the "mysteriousness" of the character but I was never impressed) he also introduced the token "White Stepbrother" into Wakanda as another ways of forcing unnecessary "diversity" into Wakanda. Neither of these tactics worked as the Priest run never sold particularly well while Hudlin's run was the best selling BP series until Coates stepped in. And while I understand that sales don't always equal quality, it certainly does mean something that a Black hero can actually be allowed to be THE Hero in his own book without the need to introduce random Cacs into his world who don't fit and make no sense being there.

This is fair. Still think his run was boring.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I had to think about this a looooong time. Cause I don't really "hate" comic characters, I just either find them uninteresting or I hate their fans' perception of them.

But really....

I hate Barry Allen.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Someone said Booster Gold??

giphy.gif

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
[QUOTE="Grifter, post: 20107955, member: 73"]Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Never really cared for Ms. Marvel[/QUOTE]
I can understand Stephanie never really cared for her but Tim Drake the best damn Robin :camby:

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
hal was having sex with a 13 year old :scust: she force aged herself to have a adult body but she was still 13
Things That Turned Out Bad - The Relationship Between Hal Jordan and Arisia | Comics Should Be Good @ CBR

:francis: Whoever wrote that was probably on that type of shyt in real life. And with her age, they probably were on some "when they hit puberty, they good to go" shyt. Slick got me heated cause GL Hal been one of my top characters but I've only read mostly the last decade stuff. Let pedo's write your books and ruin your character's lore brehs.