Mr Robot Season 1 Thread

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
:whoo:Finally caught up.

Can't wait till the finale to see dude catch a bullet from Elliot.:banderas:
:smugdraper: Murder seems right up his alley after the day he's had.
Tyrell needs a win if he ever wants to see his son again.:francis:
:usure:Angela needs to take Terry's advice.
Glad I can watch the finale with the coli this week.:obama:We got another one.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte, North Carolina
Going to start watching this show, heard many good things

DO IT YOU LONELY fukk

ric-flair-woo-gif.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
The reveal was really at the end of episode 8. When he uploads a deleted file with Pictures of his family. When the pic that once showed just his mom and him, but now showed his father and sister included. mr robot is revealed to be his dad and since we knew his dad was dead, it revealed mr robot was just a figment of his imagination and a personality formed in his head.

Episode 9 was Eliot finding that out.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It's not really inconsistencies, the show just expects us to know what is/isn't real based on context clues. I doubt it'll ever clearly spell out "ok, this is real, this isn't".

Angela asking him who he's talking to = he's not talking to imaginary people on a regular basis. Otherwise his work would think he's nuts, and fsociety would've mentioned it....or at the very least reacted somehow if the guy was standing in a corner talking to himself.

If he gets hurt, that's whatever argument he's internalized spilling out into the real world. But that's obviously not common.....again, if he was yelling at Mr. Robot at his job somebody would notice. And his mental illness has been going on for years by the point of the show. He's obviously not usually throwing himself out windows or getting into one man shouting matches.

Lastly, a girl I used to date had a mom with multiple personalities. Two of them hated each other, and wanted the other dead. Neither took into account they were in the same body. So yeah....it gets extremely weird....a lot weirder and more confusing than this show.

Fred.
But this all falls back to the crutch I was talking about. I have seen shows get nitpicked to ridiculous levels on this website. Cats making it a point to type "daytime shootouts:blessed:" on a weekly basis. Cats shytting on a show because of what type of video messaging software the CIA used. Yet the very nature of what this show is can't be criticized?:dahell: Whenever any questions are raised about the consistency of what's being shown we can just say "he's crazy" and it's all good? My first post after watching the first episode was about how excited I was that they might really give us a unique study on mental illness on this show. Instead mental illness is being used as a crutch to tell a cool story without having to make sure all the dots are connected. Cats figure out a character isn't real early on during a season of Dexter and shyt on the show for it. Cats figure out a character isn't real and is a manifestation of the main characters mind/a multiple personality of the main character/essentially a ripoff of a very popular movie's premise, it's all good because the main character's inner voice tells us we all knew it anyway and they pay homage to the movie they ripped off. In that first post I mentioned earlier, I even pointed out my concerns with an inner monologue being used as a shortcut for genuine story telling.

Darlene calls Angela and says he's freaking out again, which means this isn't the first time either have noticed his mental illness. It takes him kissing Darlene for her to realize there might be something wrong with him despite us seeing him act very surprised/upset that she would show up in his apartment. He barely if ever treats her in a way that would be described as brotherly up to the "big reveal". She never notices that? Mr. Robot tells Elliot he's the first to know about the Steel Mountain original plan yet when Elliott walks out Darlene says that they can pull the plan off with or without him, despite her asking what the plan was earlier on in that scene? Elliott is Mr. Robot yet the Steel Mountain plan catches him off guard? Elliott is in the midst of hardcore withdrawal symptoms yet is having a conversation with the black dude that wants to leave? The whole scene where Darlene tells them that the Dark Army pulled out of the plan would be extremely bizarre if they're the same person. I can keep going. This is what I was talking about earlier; once the mind fukk effect goes away and you rewatch the show with the information you now have, things start to not add up. This sounds like scathing criticism but I genuinely like the show and am merely pointing out a gripe.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
But this all falls back to the crutch I was talking about. I have seen shows get nitpicked to ridiculous levels on this website. Cats making it a point to type "daytime shootouts:blessed:" on a weekly basis. Cats shytting on a show because of what type of video messaging software the CIA used. Yet the very nature of what this show is can't be criticized?:dahell: Whenever any questions are raised about the consistency of what's being shown we can just say "he's crazy" and it's all good? My first post after watching the first episode was about how excited I was that they might really give us a unique study on mental illness on this show. Instead mental illness is being used as a crutch to tell a cool story without having to make sure all the dots are connected. Cats figure out a character isn't real early on during a season of Dexter and shyt on the show for it. Cats figure out a character isn't real and is a manifestation of the main characters mind/a multiple personality of the main character/essentially a ripoff of a very popular movie's premise, it's all good because the main character's inner voice tells us we all knew it anyway and they pay homage to the movie they ripped off. In that first post I mentioned earlier, I even pointed out my concerns with an inner monologue being used as a shortcut for genuine story telling.

Darlene calls Angela and says he's freaking out again, which means this isn't the first time either have noticed his mental illness. It takes him kissing Darlene for her to realize there might be something wrong with him despite us seeing him act very surprised/upset that she would show up in his apartment. He barely if ever treats her in a way that would be described as brotherly up to the "big reveal". She never notices that? Mr. Robot tells Elliot he's the first to know about the Steel Mountain original plan yet when Elliott walks out Darlene says that they can pull the plan off with or without him, despite her asking what the plan was earlier on in that scene? Elliott is Mr. Robot yet the Steel Mountain plan catches him off guard? Elliott is in the midst of hardcore withdrawal symptoms yet is having a conversation with the black dude that wants to leave? The whole scene where Darlene tells them that the Dark Army pulled out of the plan would be extremely bizarre if they're the same person. I can keep going. This is what I was talking about earlier; once the mind fukk effect goes away and you rewatch the show with the information you now have, things start to not add up. This sounds like scathing criticism but I genuinely like the show and am merely pointing out a gripe.

:patrice:

You make some good points but it is nit picking. Darlene isn't exactly mentally stable either and they haven't shown us the complete childhood trauma they have both went through. Plus you say he hasn't treated her brotherly like but if he has deleted his childhood out his mind and suppressed their relationship why would he. Meanwhile especially in hindsight she has acted like an annoying little sister who is very familiar and comfortable with him. As far as the plan catching him off guard they pretty much established he isn't a omnipresent mastermind. He has flaws and his plans fail, and he can be duped ask Vera. I do agree that they are not showing true signs of legit mental illness, but his unstable mind and actions has not fukked up the overall plot. :yeshrug:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
:patrice:

You make some good points but it is nit picking. Darlene isn't exactly mentally stable either and they haven't shown us the complete childhood trauma they have both went through. Plus you say he hasn't treated her brotherly like but if he has deleted his childhood out his mind and suppressed their relationship why would he. Meanwhile especially in hindsight she has acted like an annoying little sister who is very familiar and comfortable with him. As far as the plan catching him off guard they pretty much established he isn't a omnipresent mastermind. He has flaws and his plans fail, and he can be duped ask Vera. I do agree that they are not showing true signs of legit mental illness, but his unstable mind and actions has not fukked up the overall plot. :yeshrug:
How is it nitpicking if the crux of the show thus far has been Mr. Robot and it turns out Elliott is Mr. Robot. I'm literally talking about what makes this show what this show is. Nitpicking is when cats were complaining that the CIA used Skype on Homeland or when cats complain about what time of day a biker gang has shootouts. If Darlene knows that he's deleted his childhood then why does she ask him if he forgot again? My point about him not treating her brotherly points towards the fact that she only seems surprised by him kissing her as opposed to all of the numerous times he's acted like she was just some random person he met about a week ago. You're correct, the overall plot hasn't been fukked up, but when you have this big mind fukk of a reveal, you have to make sure you had all your bases covered and make sure the show stands up to a rewatch. Based on just a few of the things I've brought up, it doesn't. I have no issue with ignoring those things and seeing where it goes but that doesn't mean that the inconsistencies don't exist.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
How is it nitpicking if the crux of the show thus far has been Mr. Robot and it turns out Elliott is Mr. Robot. I'm literally talking about what makes this show what this show is. Nitpicking is when cats were complaining that the CIA used Skype on Homeland or when cats complain about what time of day a biker gang has shootouts. If Darlene knows that he's deleted his childhood then why does she ask him if he forgot again? My point about him not treating her brotherly points towards the fact that she only seems surprised by him kissing her as opposed to all of the numerous times he's acted like she was just some random person he met about a week ago. You're correct, the overall plot hasn't been fukked up, but when you have this big mind fukk of a reveal, you have to make sure you had all your bases covered and make sure the show stands up to a rewatch. Based on just a few of the things I've brought up, it doesn't. I have no issue with ignoring those things and seeing where it goes but that doesn't mean that the inconsistencies don't exist.
When you bring up subjective terms like "brotherly", then yeah its kinda hard to hit those bases all the time. But on rewatch it works so far for me. Elliot DOESN'T immediately kick her out of the apartment when she first goes to his spot. For Darlene, that should be a green light. She doesn't know how far gone dude is or what went on that same day to cause him to react a certain way.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

The major difference between this and "Dexter" is the Professor Gellar reveal was meant to be shocking. This twist was treated like an after thought the audience already knew.

Not to mention "Dexter" was already half way in the bushes in season 6. You could remove the Mr. Robot reveal and this show is still light years ahead of "Dexter" season 6....from every angle.

You obviously disagree but them flat out admitting "this wasn't supposed to be some next level twist" and then owning up to the "Fight Club" reference....let's put it like this, if this was a problem in fiction Quentin Tarantino wouldn't have a career. This is the type of shyt he's been doing since "Reservoir Dogs". If we sat here and listed everything he's "paid homage" to it would be like Jay and BIG.

Elliot didn't act upset she was in his apartment. That's the beauty of the scene. He was specifically surprised she was taking a shower in his apartment. Which seems like a subtle difference but if you came home from work and your sister, who you just recently reconnected with, that just recently moved back to town, randomly popped up in your shower....you are going to :what: "what are you doing here?"

As far as why doesn't he act more brotherly....Angela even tells Darlene "you guys were never that close" in the latest episode.

That also explains why he'd be surprised she knew where he lives. Angela just moved back to the city, remember?

Darlene calls Angela and tells her he's flipping out again, which is pretty vague. The guy is a antisocial drug addict cyber-terrorist. It's not like he's normal to begin with.

Then when they meet in person Darlene clarifies "he's gone psycho legit this time, 911 state of emergency". Meaning this isn't usual, even for him.

And yes, the Steel Mountain plan catches him off guard because that's Mr. Robot's plan. Not Elliot's. Which is textbook dissociative identity disorder. They share the same brain but ideas, interests, and even addictions are compartmentalized.

Which brings me to my next point....Elliot could be going through withdraws one minute and (relatively) lucid yelling at Romero the next. It is fairly common for only one personality to be an addict with the rest having no idea, and acting totally independent of the addiction. In the middle of withdraws? :manny: we might have to chalk that up to TV. But there's a basis for it at least.

The thing about dissociative identity disorder....they aren't really using it as a crutch for anything. Worst case scenario, they're kinda finessing the facts, like "Breaking Bad" did with science.

Lastly, it's possible this will be the best season and we'll look back on this twist as "when that show was good." But I'm not willing to pull out a magnifying glass before the first season is even over....especially when it's better than virtually everything else on TV this year, without the Mr. Robot twist.

Fred.

Last edited:

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
The reveal was really at the end of episode 8. When he uploads a deleted file with Pictures of his family. When the pic that once showed just his mom and him, but now showed his father and sister included. mr robot is revealed to be his dad and since we knew his dad was dead, it revealed mr robot was just a figment of his imagination and a personality formed in his head.

Episode 9 was Eliot finding that out.
LOL! I just started the show. And I said that too myself after the seond episode. Came here just to see if I was right. On ep 4 now. I was like who is he narrating to, and talking about he invented you....Mr Robot must be in his head Sh!t is interesting.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Where's obarth on a review of this? I need a ":dahell:How Aiden Pierce got himself a show on the old Necessary Roughness timeslot? While Christian Slater in the background busy pumpin' up the volume to the executives on not getting another show he's in cancelled, the boy with the Dragon Age tattoo is getting his Neo on against Agent Smith's Illuminati" type of skeez
sorry for my lateness.. just started watching

but

:dead::dead::dead::dead:

I swear the star of this show looks like a younger version of Michael Shannon...Anybody sure they aint related or he aint his pappy?
Michael-Shannon51.jpg

tumblr_my5w25BU1B1tn1d6wo3_400.jpg
though this in the first 5 seconds... had to look it up on IMDB.. they aren't even related.. he better play his child in every movie ever.. it's just fukking weird