MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
MoviePass enters 2019 with higher-priced plans and a new model

After an up and down 2018 that saw MoviePass explode with subscribers for its all-you-can-eat filmgoing package and then almost run out of money before finding a profit, it's changing things up next year. As explained to USA Today, Variety and the New York Times, starting in January MoviePass will move to a three-tiered subscription system:

• Select
    • This plan ranges from $10 to $15 (varying depending on the area -- cheaper in the Midwest vs. more expensive in NYC and LA) and roughly continues the existing $9.95 plan with three movies per month from a limited selection of movies and days to see them.
  • All Access
    • The step-up tier ranges from $15 to $20 and keeps the three movie limit, but subscribers can see any movie they want (at participating theaters), at any time, as long as it's not in 3D.
  • Red Carpet
    • The most expensive plan ranges from $20 to $25 per month, and includes access to one IMAX, 3D or other large-format screening per month as part of the three movies.
With the new pricing, MoviePass said it can break even on the cost of tickets, as opposed to its previous business model where it actually lost money when a customer used the plan. Of course, that's the balance that endeared it to customers for a time after it slashed prices last year.

From its inception a few years ago the service had charged $50 and then $35 per month before setting things on fire last year. Now it's tough to see if people will stick around for a package that's not as favorable. Now with a new EVP, Khalid Itum, taking over daily operations from CEO Mitch Lowe, the company is focused on a more normal plan of trying to drive viewers into theaters at previously off-peak times, instead of simply underpinning an advertising operation based on analytics.

Last edited:

WheatThins

All Star
Daps
tbh tho, i havent been to the movies all summer, not because they are expensive

but because there literally is not a lot of shyt worth seeing

most movies are shyt, making it cheaper/more accessible doesnt change that i dont wanna waste time on shyt when i can just find a bootleg version of a movie i havent seen that is actually really good + eat my own less expensive food

netflix needs to acquire classic films

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Gotta fukk Around And Leave Your Borough

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

i be going out to Bayonne to the flix
thats my go to spot when i dont feel like going in the city

i done threw mad slushies at kids in Manhattan!

straightcash

All Star
Daps
Studios and film theaters have a contract in place, with the way the things are supposed to work. So im not sure just having a magical "idea" is going to make a difference.

Unless Netflix is planning to show just indy and old movies at these theatres. Studios have slots allocated for their films, and how long you're supposed to be screening them. That's also why food at theatres cost so much, because that's their main source of revenue. The ticket sales, 80% of it go directly to the studios.

If you don't play ball, you don't get their films.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
pops loves going to the theaters, this sounds like a good gift idea.

signed up myself, gonna check out how it is. too bad 3D films ain't in it (maybe in the future)...would've been nice to try it w/ T2 3D next week.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

It's funny I love Magic Johnson Theater on 125th but my S/O and friends don't. lol

• Dap
Reactions: Oso

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
When a popcorn and a drink doesn't cost $10+ I'll think about going to the movies regularly again.
you movie eaters are annoying. yall don't pick up your trash the movie ends? yall food stinks up the whole theater... yall make too much noise when yall eating while the rest of us are watching the film..

eat before you come to movie theater breh

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
you movie eaters are annoying. yall don't pick up your trash the movie ends? yall food stinks up the whole theater... yall make too much noise when yall eating while the rest of us are watching the film..

eat before you come to movie theater breh
Man shut the fukk up:hhh: