Most disappointing career: JCC Jr, Amir Khan, Victor Ortiz, or Adrien Broner?

Which of these fighters has been the most disappointing?

• Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

• Amir Khan

• Victor Ortiz

• Adrien Broner

Results are only viewable after voting.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Broner was never really the same after he moved up from 135 to 140 and 147 and his power didn't travel with him.

When he went 5 rounds with Gavin Rees and 12 with Pauli Malignaggi I knew he wasn't as good as people thought he was.

In retrospect, maybe the Maidana fight wasn't a good second fight at Weltweight for Broner because he was never the same after that one.

It's probably Victor for me.

well AB went from 135 to 147. He should have moved down after the Paulie fight. If you can’t blow out a guy like Paulie, you need to re-evaluate things.

Ab

Errol humbled him in front of his peers and he wasn’t the same sense

Everyone has been bested in sparring. It’s part of the game. Poor career management is what did him in.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
Khan by far. His pedigree was the highest imo and his buzz was legit.

None of the He's the son of this guy, He's the next Mayweather, He's the next great Mexican to help carry him. Dude's hype was legit.

The Khan train never got rolling like it really should have.

To add: Khan has the lowest KO%, Khan has been stopped 4 time (Ortiz 5, but 2 are not "legit")

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

None of the He's the son of this guy, He's the next Mayweather, He's the next great Mexican to help carry him. Dude's hype was legit.

To add: Khan has the lowest KO%, Khan has been stopped 4 time (Ortiz 5, but 2 are not "legit")

even though I voted for Chavez jr....I cannot disagree with this at all. Good fukking post breh.

and the twitter thread legit had a few folks wondering why Khan was on the list like he didn't belong. :mjlol:

any time this nikka career got rolling, he'd either take the wrong fight (Alexander without the belt) or he'd lose or look struggle filled (Peterson, Algieri)

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
even though I voted for Chavez jr....I cannot disagree with this at all. Good fukking post breh.

and the twitter thread legit had a few folks wondering why Khan was on the list like he didn't belong. :mjlol:

any time this nikka career got rolling, he'd either take the wrong fight (Alexander without the belt) or he'd lose or look struggle filled (Peterson, Algieri)
Maidana had him just about out on his feet, but we'll let that slide for now.:sas2:

Khan is the only fighter I know that literally runs away from his opponent for defense.

If you made a top 25 best Out Cold KOs, Khan would be in it.......twice. He's a silver medalist.

An easy choice for me. View media item 17279

Last edited:

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say its Broner by far because there have been many black fighters that were better than him that didnt have a quarter of his marketability. I wouldnt say he is the most skilled but he is talented. Talented enough that if he wouldve kept his head straight and maybe go with a trainer who could keep his hands moving he'd be ever bigger than what he became, which was pretty fukking huge for a black guy of his overall skill level.

JCCjr was never that good to me. I remember him and Hearns Jr were kinda coming up at the same time. I just never thought that much of him. Of course, his lack of dedication cut his money short.

Ortiz was super hype to me too. Looked like a killer but after taking one good beating people quickly saw he wasnt really about it like that.

Khan not a disappointment at all. He is SUPER rich and he never belonged past 140. He was a lot of hype too but he got the most out of it.

So again its Broner...because he had several opportunities and he just didnt show us anything other than being a talented fighter. He struggled like hell against Granados, then let a little man dominate him, then let Porter just straight outwork him with little resistance.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no way is Khan a disappointment. he was hyped yes but so was every other fighter from Europe because of the need to manufacture champions. his resume looks good as fukk on paper when you look back at it. yes, some over the hill fighters but not dead men. he stopped Zab with no problem and Swift later had some issues with Zab. Paulie was still a solid gatekeeper after Khan stopped him. in hindsight, the only fighter that Khan lost to that he shouldnt was Prescott. the Swift fight after the fact was water off a duck's back because he became a better fighter than Khan by far.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Maidana had him just about out on his feet, but we'll let that slide for now.:sas2:

Khan is the only fighter I know that literally runs away from his opponent for defense.

If you made a top 25 best Out Cold KOs, Khan would be in it.......twice. He's a silver medalist.

An easy choice for me. View media item 17279

We actually mentioned the bolded during the podcast. Dude was the only one on the list to beat Maidana, but was damn near out of it near the end of the fight. :mjlol:

and you correct about his defense is just running, but I'll add pushing as well. You get too close or start breathing on him too hard and he pushes you. For that reason I'm glad he lost the Peterson fight. nikka had no answer for his pressure. Just run or push. :snoop:

and he definitely would be featured on the best 25 out cold KO's. Hell prolly any compilation where guys get dropped hard. :pachaha:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
broner > ortiz > khan > JCCjr

broner didnt start to worry me till he faught paulie. khan and jcc had problems early. ortiz was a pretty big let down but he didnt have the same meteoric rise and narrative broner had as an heir apparent to mayweather

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ortiz didnt have the mentality. He had the hype machine and the storyline, but I never believed in him. Most of the time you have to see someone go through adversity first to see how they react before you can start having super high expectations. With that being said....there are a couple other guys that were major disappointments. Maybe even moreso than some of the guys listed here.

Hector Camacho Jr was a better fighter than he was able to show. He was an amateur champion and he had good speed and power. He was similar to Broner in a lot of ways. He wouldve beaten Leija had he not quit, but he did and that was the end of it for him. He mentally was never there which also contributed to him being out of shape all the time. Ortiz was at least in shape, at least JCCjr had the mentality inside the ring. Camacho had the talent but not the mentality or discipline to stay in shape.

Another one was Dominick Guinn. Another decorated amateur with over 300 amateur fights. He admitted himself....he could beat those guys that were bigger than him because of his fear. When he faced guys he didnt have a fear of he got his ass tore up. No way a guy that talented shouldve gotten his ass beaten that many damn times. Think about this....almost half of his fights have been against top 10 heavyweight contenders and although he lost to damn near every one of them, he has never been stopped.

oh...and none of these fighters were as disappointing as Audley Harrison if anyone remembers him. :mjlol:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Ortiz didnt have the mentality. He had the hype machine and the storyline, but I never believed in him. Most of the time you have to see someone go through adversity first to see how they react before you can start having super high expectations. With that being said....there are a couple other guys that were major disappointments. Maybe even moreso than some of the guys listed here.

Hector Camacho Jr was a better fighter than he was able to show. He was an amateur champion and he had good speed and power. He was similar to Broner in a lot of ways. He wouldve beaten Leija had he not quit, but he did and that was the end of it for him. He mentally was never there which also contributed to him being out of shape all the time. Ortiz was at least in shape, at least JCCjr had the mentality inside the ring. Camacho had the talent but not the mentality or discipline to stay in shape.

Another one was Dominick Guinn. Another decorated amateur with over 300 amateur fights. He admitted himself....he could beat those guys that were bigger than him because of his fear. When he faced guys he didnt have a fear of he got his ass tore up. No way a guy that talented shouldve gotten his ass beaten that many damn times. Think about this....almost half of his fights have been against top 10 heavyweight contenders and although he lost to damn near every one of them, he has never been stopped.

oh...and none of these fighters were as disappointing as Audley Harrison if anyone remembers him. :mjlol:
Yeah the difference is camacho jr, guinn, and esp Harrison never won a world title

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah the difference is camacho jr, guinn, and esp Harrison never won a world title

which makes them even BIGGER disappointments. because world titles arent that hard to gain, especially for someone with their talents. when you compare them to Broner they actually look :francis: Broner won like 4 world titles. tbh, really hard to call any of the 4 mentioned disappointments. especially considering the amount of money they made. they all have earned MILLIONS during their career. Ortiz probably has the least in purses but even against Mayweather he got a check for 2 milly. not sure how much more you can expect. he wasnt DLH.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Ortiz was groomed to be the next Oscar and he just couldn't get to that next level in the ring when the going got rough. Broner was supposed to be the new villain to root for but he couldn't get out of his own way. So either of these two would be good choices though i voted for Ortiz.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps

I was very impressed with Khan at the 2004 Olympics.

After the KO to Prescott, a lot wrote him off, then of course overly praised him after he made a nice comeback. He had a nice win in a fun fight over Maidana, but I think it was that fight where I really noticed the limitations beyond his chin.

It was a lot technical flaws, but some of it is just instincts. He would get overly excited over landing a right hand that he would often leap towards Maidana and then be too close to follow up with anything. He had fast feet but wouldn't move them in the right direction, and I thought he seemed just anxious with Maidana coming at him.

In general, he just seems like someone who has a tough time having that alertness, purpose in his movements, control, etc....And he had a lot of technical flaws to begin with. In some ways, he was extremely talented due to being blessed with blazing hand speed, height and range, fast feet, etc...But not necessarily that talented among pro boxers for having "feel for the sport". Someone like Salvador Sanchez, who had something like 4 amateur bouts, he had solid but not blazing hand speed, but seemed to just have more of a feel for boxing. Knowing what he was doing, picking up things quickly, cool under fire, etc....Most guys can train forever but not pick up things as quickly.

He's like a homeless man's version of his father. Hector Sr was immensely gifted, but after the Chapo fight, nose candy, alcohol, etc....he was just a major underachiever. I actually think he gives Floyd (and just about anyone else) at 130-135 a good fight, but he eventually he would go into survival mode after taking too many straight rights, and go into a shell and drop a decision.