More layoffs coming to Playstation??Studio Closure???

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Presentations earlier in the year point to a rough projected headcount of 500 moving forward. But a September email from Sony specified a full-time employee max headcount of 470, down from its current estimated 485 employees. PowerPoint slides from a September presentation reference “6 potential areas to reduce headcount,” including a few layoffs, not backfilling certain positions, and placing up to five employees on performance improvement plans which might eventually end in them getting fired.

A more recent presentation in November points to potentially more drastic cuts. “Slimming down Ratchet and cutting new IP will not account for the reductions Sony is looking for,” reads a PowerPoint note attributed to Insomniac head Ted Price. “To remove 50-75 people strategically, our best option is to cut deeply into Wolverine and Spider-Man 3, replacing lower performers with team members from Ratchet and new IP.”

a notes file referencing a November 9 PlayStation off-site meeting reiterates the 50-75 number of cuts. The notes suggest the cuts are being asked of other PlayStation studios as well, including the line “there will be one studio closure.

Guess selling more consoles than microsoft ain’t enough after all :lupe:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Media Molecule or/and Firesprite I'd imagine. "Dreams" just didn't work out and they've leaked a lot of senior talent over the past two years, while Firesprite is supposed to be a complete clusterfukk of a studio. Outside chance of it being Sony Bend.

I'd imagine there will be organisation wide layoffs at SIE with the general economic downturn, the huge upscalling Playstation studios did a few years back and with the general continuous increase in dev costs.

People forget that Playstation basically funds Sony as a whole.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Media Molecule or/and Firesprite I'd imagine. "Dreams" just didn't work out and they've leaked a lot of senior talent over the past two years, while Firesprite is supposed to be a complete clusterfukk of a studio. Outside chance of it being Sony Bend.

I'd imagine there will be organisation wide layoffs at SIE with the general economic downturn, the huge upscalling Playstation studios did a few years back and with the general continuous increase in dev costs.

People forget that Playstation basically funds Sony as a whole.
But @gurf said they broke PS5 sales records in November.

Surely they have no need to cut costs :lupe:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some divisions weren’t making the money they needed to make. Why else would jobs get cut?

Many reasons - global/national economic realities, where the studio is in terms of game development, how well other divisions are doing (or aren't doing) in the conglomerate as a whole.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
i guess when you lay off 16k people at once (over two SIE’s put together) you don’t really have to worry about the odd dozen or so throughout the year

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Many reasons - global/national economic realities, where the studio is in terms of game development, how well other divisions are doing (or aren't doing) in the conglomerate as a whole.
They’re cutting 70 people from their most productive studio that “prints money” according to some here.

Sounds crazy to me :hubie:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It went from "Spider-Man/AAA games isn't helping Sony make money" to "well, but they cut/laid off some folks so it doesn't matter how much money they made."

TextBook Goalpost moving. But keep cooking.

:mjlol:
Nope never said either one of those things, but of course you’d come in here and make up Lies and Propaganda.

You learned that strategy from your daddy @Gizmo_Duck :shaq: