Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PS5, PS4) (Sunbreak for Xbox and Playstation on April 28, 2023)

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
looking to get into monster hunter, is this a good game to start with? I tried world and I was completely overwhelmed. Also, should I cop on switch or pc?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
looking to get into monster hunter, is this a good game to start with? I tried world and I was completely overwhelmed. Also, should I cop on switch or pc?

They’re all a little overwhelming when you’re new lol but eventually the gameplay loop clicks and it’s not too hard to go from game to game

Rise is super dope and I played on switch but I would definitely recommend PC/console for better performance. For what it’s worth tho it is actually one of the better performing games on switch

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Rise is *slightly* less overwhelming than World, but getting over that hump gets you one of the best gameplay loops and in-depth experiences in gaming.

I actually just reinstalled World last week for a fresh playthrough. Can't go wrong with either - my personal opinion is that Rise lacks the 'weight' of World in a lot of aspects, but its generally quicker all around to make up for it.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
rise is the best game to start with in awhile. wilds looks like a departure so its best to start now to get the true formula. i would say pc just because it runs very well just in general but especially compared to the switch version. you're getting the same content on both. although, it would help if you can give us detail about why you were overwhelmed with world so we can see if it might keep happening with rise.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
Appreciate yall, I was thinking for switch for the portability, I’d probably be less inclined to play it always sitting at my desk tbh unless I get a steam deck. But what when I tried monster hunter world, it was just a lot.. it was awhile ago but I remember struggling with the sheer amount of shyt they drop on you from town, the quest and then the weapon I was using (I think the insect glave) I couldn’t grasp the movement and move set. Maybe these games ain’t for me, idk but I can’t stand a game where I have to spend a shyt ton of time talking to npcs in a hub and menus.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Rise is *slightly* less overwhelming than World, but getting over that hump gets you one of the best gameplay loops and in-depth experiences in gaming.

I actually just reinstalled World last week for a fresh playthrough. Can't go wrong with either - my personal opinion is that Rise lacks the 'weight' of World in a lot of aspects, but its generally quicker all around to make up for it.
Low Rank Pukei-Pukei, Ancient Forest :wow: . Never looked back from there... until the damn Leshen hunt almost made me quit the game permanently
full

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Appreciate yall, I was thinking for switch for the portability, I’d probably be less inclined to play it always sitting at my desk tbh unless I get a steam deck. But what when I tried monster hunter world, it was just a lot.. it was awhile ago but I remember struggling with the sheer amount of shyt they drop on you from town, the quest and then the weapon I was using (I think the insect glave) I couldn’t grasp the movement and move set. Maybe these games ain’t for me, idk but I can’t stand a game where I have to spend a shyt ton of time talking to npcs in a hub and menus.
There's no way around the first hour of MH games that feel like a flight manual's worth of tutorials. Once you clear that though its smooth sailing. Just demands a bit of familiarity and crawl -> walk -> run.

All the weapons have a learning curve, some steeper than others - but I probably wouldn't start with the Glaive again just because its one of the weapons that requires you do a few things before it gets going.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
that weapon is pretty advanced. i would recommend a weapon like the sword and shield, long sword or the hammer. also consider jumping into co op as soon as possible. just ignore anything that pulls you down into menus and hop into a hunt or the training. rise is fun though, i think its the most fun i've had playing mon hun. the demo should still be available for a try