Modern gaming journalism needs to be reset

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
On a side note, I feel Mobile Games killed the video game hype...

The only people talking about upcoming release are the pre smart phones gamers..

So video game journalism is pretty useless

Pretty much....

We are slowly heading towards 1983 territory, despite how good a game sells. The writing is on the chalkboard with the fact of companies getting swallowed, developers getting the boot, and oversaturation gaming wise. Why should I listen to a bunch of talking heads, when AI can give me the deets courtesy of Reddit's consensus of being hateful asses.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
:unimpressed:

Ziff Davis (Formerly J2 Global, Inc.)​

Ziff Davis, formerly J2 Global, acquired IPVanish, StrongVPN and Encrypt.me from Stackpath in April 2019 for an undisclosed amount.
  • IPVanish: Read CNET's IPVanish review.
  • Strong VPN: Encrypt.me (which acquired Buffered VPN in November 2019) has merged with StrongVPN, along with ibVPN and SaferVPN.
Other notable holdings: Ziff Davis also owns a wide variety of technology sites (Ookla, Down Detector, Encrypt.me) and media outlets, including Mashable, IGN and PCMag.com. Note that despite the legacy branding, ZDNet hasn't been part of the Ziff Davis corporate family since CNET completed its acquisition of the brand back in 2002.

Take a look not just at current brands owned, look at those sold and discontinued.

And that's all just under one umbrella. There are others. There are no journalistic standards here beyond what employees at these places impose on themselves...and those are pretty much lip service, they are regularly ignored by editors.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
not just gaming journalism

the only real journalism you get is investigative now

everything else is for clicks and ratings, not unbiased.
Yeah. I said “journalism.”

It’s. A joke now. I went to school for journalism and once 2012 hit I knew it was a wrap. People consider Akademiks and Nore journalists :scusthov:

Plus I remember when twitter and YouTube had “citizen journalists” so I got out of that field with the quickness. I felt bad because all of the older people at the company said they should’ve done what I did YEARS AGO.

DYING ASS INDUSTRY.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah. I said “journalism.”

It’s. A joke now. I went to school for journalism and once 2012 hit I knew it was a wrap. People consider Akademiks and Nore journalists :scusthov:

Plus I remember when twitter and YouTube had “citizen journalists” so I got out of that field with the quickness. I felt bad because all of the older people at the company said they should’ve done what I did YEARS AGO.

DYING ASS INDUSTRY.

truth

parallax

Superstar
Daps
a reviewer never influenced my decision to buy a game.

I watch videos, play demos, rep from prior games.

that's it.

many of these cats are grifters and bloggers with agendas. The ones with access don't want to lose their access so they suck dikk (figuratively at worse :dame: ) to not lose their access.

Straight clowns and many are still embarrassing themselves.

Whateva.

how did you pick games before all that?

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
When Starfield came out some dude got ran off the internet cause he gave it a bad review, then he streamed himself playing another game. Problem is he opened up steam and randomly clicked on starfield and it showed something like 22 minutes played. People were like wait you did a whole review of the game but you aint even play it long enough to do anything :mjlol:

And that's what prompted alot of people to really start demanding (at the time) that these b*stards prove that they've not only played the game, but completed it with receipts instead of just giving their overall "Gist" of what they feel it is and how much their score of it should be. I've always taken videogame reviews(ers) with a grain of salt and only used their reviews to see the game and hear about it rather than take their experience as direction for playing or ignoring a game, but shyt got really bad when companies realized that Influencers and Online media personalities can be easily bought with "Swag" and early access to games that they'd happily sign that review embargo/timelimit shyt in which they'd showcase a potentially bad/horrid game without being honest about it to pull in the unfortunate day 1 buyers who bought and believed their fave Youtuber/Influencer and ended up overpaying for digital basura they could have best avoided.
Sad times, but with all the information and access we've now, I'd want to hope this wasn't still a thing, but unfortunately it is.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
watching dean takahashi absolutely fail at the tutorial for cuphead let me know journalism was a wrap. that shyt was outright embarrassing