Misconceptions about being a Black Panamanian

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Panama has diverse origins. Some where taken as slaves straight to Panama and some came from Jamaica, Barbados etc.

Black Costa Ricans are straight up Spanish speaking Jamaicans tho lol
it was major resentment between the Caribbean descendant Panamanians and the slave descendant black Panamanians back in the day

When the US came thru with the Canal Zone. Caribbean Afro Panamanians had first dibs on good paying jobs because they already spoke English. They had access to US education,housing, food, recreation, jobs on the Canal Zone.

While the Panamanians outside the zone languished in substandard education & housing, poverty, joblessness etc.
She would also have certain non-Black Latinos treating her like an alien from outerspace when she would communicate with them in Spanish. And they'd ask her where she learned to speak Spanish lol.
My abuela use to work at the DMV office back in the day. She’s dark skin, use to rock a big Afro

she’d catch Mexicans, Ricans saying slick shyt underneath they breath at the counter. She’d respond in straight Spanish and they’d be sitting there looking dumb as fukk :mjlol:

Then get the “How’d you learn Spanish so well” or “ Where are you from”

“Soy Panamena” :wow:

Last edited:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I think they came from a couple of other place too. I’ll have to ask my aunt when I see her. She was born there
I’m joking and referencing pop smoke lol. Yea Panamanians come from various places and actually Panamanians listen to Haitian music. Panama is one country many Haitian bands had success in back in the days

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
My Grandad was born there

His Parents moved there to work from Barbados
My story similar.

My paternal grandfather was born and raised in Panama(even gotta spanish name) but his mother remarried and moved to the Caribbean(not Jamaica or Barbados)where she had my father.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
It was always weird growing up for me.

I’d have friends or ex girlfriends over for family gatherings. They’d be confused to see my dark skin grandma, aunties, cousins speaking Spanish and listening to salsa and reggaeton.

“So where is your family from? They Dominican right?”

“Panama? Where’s that?”

“It’s black folk down there?”

“Why do they sound Jamaican when they talk in English”?

And my favorite “Panama? Like panama city beach?” :deadrose:

Granted, I grew up in Chi where there aren’t too many Afro Latinos compared to the east coast

• Dap
Reactions: QBN

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
It was always weird growing up for me.

I’d have friends or ex girlfriends over for family gatherings. They’d be confused to see my dark skin grandma, aunties, cousins speaking Spanish and listening to salsa and reggaeton.

“So where is your family from? They Dominican right?”

“Panama? Where’s that?”

“It’s black folk down there?”

“Why do they sound Jamaican when they talk in English”?

And my favorite “Panama? Like panama city beach?” :deadrose:

Granted, I grew up in Chi where there aren’t too many Afro Latinos compared to the east coast
Lol Alor ignorante out here folks don't know anything their 4 block radius

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
I DO have family in Colon as confirmed by my uncle. I'm hoping to link up with them even if they don't understand a word I say lol.
Make sure you hit the historic Afro settlements of Portobello, Cacique, Isla Grande while you out in Colon there.

Some beautiful beaches on that side of panama, turquoise waters and white sand :noah:

QBN

All Star
Daps

"And MC's start to vanish
I stepped up to a jet-black kid, started speakin' Spanish!
Yo, he wasn't from Panama
Asked him how he get so dark, the nikka said "Sun-tanama!"

Made me think of the same thing. ODB used the same verse on "Damage" but slightly different. I can't hear Panama without thinking of that line :russ:Funny how lyrics can stick in your mind.

Interesting vid, I love learning about Black people in different countries.

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
My Grandfather was a merchant mariner. He told me his grandfather was from Panama.

I think I have two uncles down there. I had somebody in ancestry hit me up looking for his father. We were related. He’s in Panama.
:patrice:
I told my Dad but nothing came of it.
:manny:

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Grew up with quite a few plus one of my Mom’s best friends was Panamanian, good folks, most I ain’t know were Panamanian till they said so lol.