Misconceptions about being a Black Panamanian

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Black Panamanians birthed Reggaeton. It was originally called "Reggae En Espanol"

Shout out to El General and Renato. The pioneers
I thought reggaeton was Puerto Rican for the longest, tbh. Makes me respect Panamanians even more

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
Half my family is Panamanian. We’re just regular Black people tho.

I’ve noticed some act like they’re a different kind of Black, just because their family came from somewhere else. That’s weird to me

Yeah, y'all boys just chill, same thing with Dominicans (from Dominica) and Belizeans, they cool and KIM

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
It was always weird growing up for me.

I’d have friends or ex girlfriends over for family gatherings. They’d be confused to see my dark skin grandma, aunties, cousins speaking Spanish and listening to salsa and reggaeton.

“So where is your family from? They Dominican right?”

“Panama? Where’s that?”

“It’s black folk down there?”

“Why do they sound Jamaican when they talk in English”?

And my favorite “Panama? Like panama city beach?” :deadrose:

Granted, I grew up in Chi where there aren’t too many Afro Latinos compared to the east coast
I used to date a Black Panamanian girl with long braids and you nailed it completely, especially with ya'll getting mistaken for Dominicans or Jamaicans. That used to happen to my ex all the time. She would get Cuban and Trini sometimes too.

She would also have certain non-Black Latinos treating her like an alien from outerspace when she would communicate with them in Spanish. And they'd ask her where she learned to speak Spanish lol.

She took a DNA test and found that she had roots from Barbados going way back.

It was interesting being a Black American man in a relationship with a Latina who's whole family was darker than mines. Even my current girl's family is lighter and she's Haitian. I learned a lot about Panama through her though. I even traveled there with her, her parents, and her brother at one point.