Minority Neighborhoods Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk

Daps
Reppin
In The Clouds
Minority Neighborhoods Pay Higher Car Insurance Premiums Than White Areas With the Same Risk

The article is too long to include. But here's an excerpt

OTIS NASH WORKS SIX DAYS A WEEK AT TWO JOBS, as a security guard and a pest control technician, but still struggles to make the $190.69 monthly Geico car insurance payment for his 2012 Honda Civic LX.

“I’m on the edge of homelessness,” said Nash, a 26-year-old Chicagoan who supports his wife and 7-year-old daughter. But “without a car, I can’t get to work, and then I can’t pay my rent.”

Across town, Ryan Hedges has a similar insurance policy with Geico. Both drivers receive a good driver discount from the company.

Chicago Area Disparities in Car Insurance Premiums
Some car insurers charge higher premiums in Chicago’s minority neighborhoods than in predominantly white neighborhoods with similar risk of accidents. See the map.

Yet Hedges, who is a 34-year-old advertising executive, pays only $54.67 a month to insure his 2015 Audi Q5 Quattro sports utility vehicle. Nash pays almost four times as much as Hedges even though his run-down neighborhood, East Garfield Park, with its vacant lots and high crime rate, is actually safer from an auto insurance perspective than Hedges’ fancier Lake View neighborhood near Wrigley Field.

On average, from 2012 through 2014, Illinois insurers paid out 20 percent less for bodily injury and property damage claims in Nash’s predominantly minority zip code than in Hedges’ largely white one, according to data collected by the state’s insurance commission. But Nash pays 51 percent more for that portion of his coverage than Hedges does.

For decades, auto insurers have been observed to charge higher average premiums to drivers living in predominantly minority urban neighborhoods than to drivers with similar safety records living in majority white neighborhoods. Insurers have long defended their pricing by saying that the risk of accidents is greater in those neighborhoods, even for motorists who have never had one.

But a first-of-its-kind analysis by ProPublica and Consumer Reports, which examined auto insurance premiums and payouts in California, Illinois, Texas and Missouri, has found that many of the disparities in auto insurance prices between minority and white neighborhoods are wider than differences in risk can explain. In some cases, insurers such as Allstate, Geico and Liberty Mutual were charging premiums that were on average 30 percent higher in zip codes where most residents are minorities than in whiter neighborhoods with similar accident costs.

Our findings document what consumer advocates have long suspected: Despite laws in almost every state banning discriminatory rate-setting, some minority neighborhoods pay higher auto insurance premiums than do white areas with similar payouts on claims. This disparity may amount to a subtler form of redlining, a term that traditionally refers to denial of services or products to minority areas. And, since minorities tend to lag behind whites in income, they may be hard-pressed to afford the higher payments.

Rachel Goodman, staff attorney in the American Civil Liberties Union’s racial justice program, said ProPublica’s findings were distressingly familiar. “These results fit within a pattern that we see all too often — racial disparities allegedly result from differences in risk, but that justification falls apart when we drill down into the data,” she said.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OTIS NASH WORKS SIX DAYS A WEEK AT TWO JOBS, as a security guard and a pest control technician, but still struggles to make the $190.69 monthly Geico car insurance payment for his 2012 Honda Civic LX.

“I’m on the edge of homelessness,” said Nash, a 26-year-old Chicagoan who supports his wife and 7-year-old daughter. But “without a car, I can’t get to work, and then I can’t pay my rent.”

maybe make better choices :yeshrug: i drive an 01 and i carry zero insurance on it, just insurance when i hit someone else. whereas this dude needs to drive a 2012 and carry collision on it, even though he's on the edge of homelessness and supporting a kid?

now the overall story sucks, but what a terrible example to use

Daps
Reppin
In The Clouds

maybe make better choices :yeshrug: i drive an 01 and i carry zero insurance on it, just insurance when i hit someone else. whereas this dude needs to drive a 2012 and carry collision on it, even though he's on the edge of homelessness and supporting a kid?

RIght, how dare this black man drive a 5 year old car. He should drive a 16 year old vehicle instead. It's his fault that he's being charged an unfair rate because he has a car you feel he shouldn't have even though that has nothing to do with the topic :snoop:

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
RIght, how dare this black man drive a 5 year old car. He should drive a 16 year old vehicle instead. It's his fault that he's being charged an unfair rate because he has a car you feel he shouldn't have even though that has nothing to do with the topic :snoop:
Newer cars are cheaper than older models. I got a quote for a Model X last year and it was far cheaper than my current car, a 2015 Kia. And it doesn't matter if you live in the city or not, they are charging us for being black. I got a quote for an addres in Pennsauken and it was the same.

I'm always reading online about white people with $300 car notes for cars superior than mines with cheaper auto insurance. And they're my age.

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
No. No and just no.

Insurance companies charge you on all risks. That includes your address, driving areas, state, city and county.

My friend who is Black has a M7 2016 and he pays less than me for my 2008 IS 250.

Newer cars are safer and they still have lots of warranty. I told my wife we gonna have to scrap our insurance and shop around. Progressive is raping us. I pay 225 a month for 2 cars. Like WTH lol.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I guess redlining is/was a myth too?

hqdefault.jpg

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
No. No and just no.

Insurance companies charge you on all risks. That includes your address, driving areas, state, city and county.

My friend who is Black has a M7 2016 and he pays less than me for my 2008 IS 250.

Newer cars are safer and they still have lots of warranty. I told my wife we gonna have to scrap our insurance and shop around. Progressive is raping us. I pay 225 a month for 2 cars. Like WTH lol.

I was paying 250 for full coverage on progressive. Switched to Geico and it was 150. :dahell:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its the first sentence, it caught my eye :yeshrug: you're right, its irrelevant

and yeah, if you're crying broke then you dont need to drive a 2012 anything and carry collision on it :heh: im sorry im so off base with that comment. and no one brought up his race

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Carry Zero insurance?? You do know in some states, your motor vehicle is required to have insurance...

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carry Zero insurance?? You do know in some states, your motor vehicle is required to have insurance...
i mean no collision on my own car. like if i scratch or dent it on a pole, i dont get shyt. but if i hit someones elses car, my company will pay that person. costs me 50 a month

anyway i didnt mean to derail the thread, that shyt just stuck out to me like a motherfukker :deadjay: