"Midsommar" Movie From "Hereditary" Director (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If they re-edit this and take out alot if the unnecessary ritual stuff that dragged....this would be a better movie
What ritual stuff that dragged? The general pace of the film is pretty deliberate…time passes slow and feels “off” to the characters, and the viewers sense it as well.

Hereditary is better and hits its nail right on the head (no pun intended….). But I really enjoyed Midsommar. It becomes even more insidious on the second viewing when you notice the various hints (flowers for instance) at the beginning of the film.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
What ritual stuff that dragged? The general pace of the film is pretty deliberate…time passes slow and feels “off” to the characters, and the viewers sense it as well.

Hereditary is better and hits its nail right on the head (no pun intended….). But I really enjoyed Midsommar. It becomes even more insidious on the second viewing when you notice the various hints (flowers for instance) at the beginning of the film.

It was unnecessary and dragging....people walked out of this movie..I remember

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It was unnecessary and dragging....people walked out of this movie..I remember
People always walk out of A24 movies though. Both Hereditary and Midsommar do some things you don’t see much in modern horror, and both have very deliberate pacing. I get that it would bore many but both films grab you once shyt hits the fan IMO.

My problem with Midsommar was the unrealistic behavior of some of the characters. There wasn’t nearly enough urgency when things started to go left. In many horror films there’s this feeling of “why don’t they just leave the haunted house” ya know? Even though in many cases nothing truly bad has happened yet. Whereas in Midsommar you got a friend disappearing and the reaction is kinda like “oh, well hopefully he comes back.”

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
People always walk out of A24 movies though. Both Hereditary and Midsommar do some things you don’t see much in modern horror, and both have very deliberate pacing. I get that it would bore many but both films grab you once shyt hits the fan IMO.

My problem with Midsommar was the unrealistic behavior of some of the characters. There wasn’t nearly enough urgency when things started to go left. In many horror films there’s this feeling of “why don’t they just leave the haunted house” ya know? Even though in many cases nothing truly bad has happened yet. Whereas in Midsommar you got a friend disappearing and the reaction is kinda like “oh, well hopefully he comes back.”

Hereditary was too damn long. The first 45-50 minutes are too damn slow. Woulda worked better if it was under 1:40. I went in blind and didn't care for it. I'll revisit it someday.

The Witch is a damn good film, and Midsommar has me interested for the cult type shyt. Ever since the Heaven's Gate incident back in the mid 90s I've always been :ohhh: at cult stuff.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Hereditary was too damn long. The first 45-50 minutes are too damn slow. Woulda worked better if it was under 1:40. I went in blind and didn't care for it. I'll revisit it someday.

The Witch is a damn good film, and Midsommar has me interested for the cult type shyt. Ever since the Heaven's Gate incident back in the mid 90s I've always been :ohhh: at cult stuff.
I liked Hereditary’s pacing. It gets…weird pretty quickly after establishing the characters.

A good similar movie. Warning - similar pacing.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yes, I felt that way too. I guess that brittish couple taking off were the only people to think "this shyt is fukked up let's leave". Everyone else was still chillin even thought heir friends disappeared. But then I think maybe they were drugged. They were drinking a lot of weird shyt so that might have something to do with it.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked Hereditary’s pacing. It gets…weird pretty quickly after establishing the characters.

A good similar movie. Warning - similar pacing.

Movie was like three different genres in one...Drama, thriller, and then just demonic horror.