Mid black movies from the 90s

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This thread is looking for mid black (or black led - like last Boy Scout or nothing to lose would count) movies (ie not the classics that always get discussed like boyz, boomerang, house party, etc) I want the middest of the mid. Also drop reviews of mid movies

Never watched Strictly Business front to back until last night, Halle was stunning in that movie and altho he usually annoys me, Tommy Davidson was the best character. Completely straightforward predictable plot, doesnt make the auto watch when re-aired list, but I will go listen to the soundtrack

Watching Mo Money tonight, 25 mins in and this is terrible. Damon’s dope fiend and mentally handicap characters didn’t age well at all.

What else we got in the mid black 90’s movie lineup?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
This thread is looking for mid black (or black led - like last Boy Scout or nothing to lose would count) movies (ie not the classics that always get discussed like boyz, boomerang, house party, etc) I want the middest of the mid. Also drop reviews of mid movies

Never watched Strictly Business front to back until last night, Halle was stunning in that movie and altho he usually annoys me, Tommy Davidson was the best character. Completely straightforward predictable plot, doesnt make the auto watch when re-aired list, but I will go listen to the soundtrack

Watching Mo Money tonight, 25 mins in and this is terrible. Damon’s dope fiend and mentally handicap characters didn’t age well at all.

What else we got in the mid black 90’s movie lineup?
I loved Mo' Money. Those are both characters from In Living Color.

Fear of a Black Hat
A Rage in Harlem
Livin Large
Devil in a Blue Dress
The Inkwell
Who's the Man?
Sankofa
Downtown
A Low Down Dirty Shame

That's all I can think of right now.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Meteor Man
Cool Runnings
Sister Act
Light it Up
6th Man

Senseless - I watches this recently and enjoyed it. I think it was too black for white audiences and too white for black audiences. If Marlon was in an HBCU it'd get talked about more. Same if Matthew Lillard was the lead instead of Marlon for white people. I mean Marlon joins the Hockey team :mjlol:

The People Under the Stairs - This comes up a lot in the horror community more than the black movie community. I don't know why. Besides Attack the Block I can't think of another horror movies that has a black kid as the hero.

Event Horizon - Not a black movie but you said black led. Lawrence Fishburne was great in this movie. You normally don't see strong black characters in Horror or Sci Fi and this movie is both.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
In will be watching these

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Fear of a Black Hat is a comedic masterpiece.
Jason's Lyric is the king of all mid Black movies from the 90's
People raved about Soul Food but meh.
Hangin' with the Homeboys--didn't see it
Anything Martin was in with the exception of Bad Boys, Thin Line, and Boomerang, I never even bothered to watch.
I just feel like they pulled out all the rejected Richard Pryor and Jimmie "JJ" Walker scripts from the 70's and filmed them with Martin.
-Big Mama'a House
-Blue Streak
-Nothing to Lose
-What's the Worst that Can Happen?
-Black Knight

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The People Under the Stairs - This comes up a lot in the horror community more than the black movie community. I don't know why. Besides Attack the Block I can't think of another horror movies that has a black kid as the hero.
And definitively black all around too. Took place in the hood, mad racial overtones, had a mad young Ving Rhames up in that piece too.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Any movie with Tommy Davidson

Q2wbOC.gif