Mid 90s - Jonah Hill Directorial Debut (Trailer)

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I really enjoyed this. I don't think it's like KIDS at all. The only similarities are the ages of the characters and some of the recreational drug use. There's a lot of subtle and brilliant commentary about coming of age within a particular abusive and social context. I love Jonah's ability to world build and tell a story without saying anything or have anyone really say anything. He uses sound and imagery and trust's the audience to figure stuff out. Some of the interpersonal wars that were depicted were really brilliant because no one ever said anything explicitly about why they were jealous/angry/scared/hopeful. They just felt like real people. I love too that he turned some stereotypes on their head, especially with the lead black skateboarder. He was the level headed cool dude everyone wish they could be, but not so cool that he was unrealistic and or shallow. If this is Jonah Hill's first try, I think he's gonna have a long and great career as a writer and director. My only beef with this film was the ending. It was too abrupt for me, but maybe that's because I enjoyed it so much. I wanted more.

9 out of 10 for me.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I watched it last night. Nostalgia, ULTRA. 3.5/5. It kinda ended abruptly/anticlimactic imo, but if it would’ve ended how I wanted it to, it would’ve brought the mood of the theatre down. When it ended, the crowd was kinda weird about it, it was just silence all around for a sec then people started leaving. Overall, a solid directorial and writing debut for Jonah Hill

that sex scene with the kid and the older girl. Wtf? Is that legal? :sitdown:

WhoShotCha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DUUVALLLL
I really enjoyed it. Love the atmosphere the film creates. The ending was very abrupt and the crowd responded kinda awkwardly to it. Other than that I really fukked wit it.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I seen the trailer and thought it looked aight.
then someone on here said it was basically some skateboard shyt.
:beli:

ima watch it cause i "kinda' liked that The Land shyt.
anyway tho, Jonah Hill was dope as that homo AA sponsor in Dont Worry, He Wont Get Far on Foot.
that was cool ass character.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
This had some good moments, but it could've used a lot of help. Honestly, Hill had a tough assignment cut out for him cause he wanted to make a coming of age film centered around teenage skaters in the 90s.... There's no way his film could ever escape being compared to KIDS.

For a teeny coming of age film, it was good. It had a cute lil ending, some good laughs, and damn near every character is lovable. However, the latter is where the film falls apart in my mind.... Why the fukk am I sympathizing with everyone? Why is the security guard so lovable? Why are the homeless folks depicted as happy go lucky vagrants? Why is the light skin brehs drug and alcohol use so harmless? And yes, I remember what happens at the end, but guess what, ITS INCONSEQUENTIAL, AND ENDS ON A HAPPY NOTE!! :francis:

The shyt was a cookie cutter depiction of teenage rebellion, and a complete sterilization of skateboarding and hip hop. It felt like Hill wanted to make the two cultures accessible to a wide audience, so he omitted necessary nuances relevant to each respective culture, and as a result robbed em of their damn depth.

I've heard Hill's interviews and it truly sounds like this film was made with the right intentions, and it's truly not a bad film, but it just lacked real substance. Maybe KIDS can't be topped.

Also, I HATE when films lean so heavily on their soundtrack. The Wackness did this, and Mid 90s is guilty of it. Shyt is the equivalent of having a frat boy force you to listen to his real hip hop playlist. Like damn yts how many times u finna make me listen to the same hiero, tribe and pharcyde songs.:beli:

Last edited:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea i agree it lacked substance and tried too hard to be cool or push a message

Kids was raw like a real life documentary (plus nothing can compare to old NYC culture).

Mid 90s is like a poor mans kids which I guess isn’t bad compared to today standards

At least it’s not the Wackness

All the actors were actually good And Na-Kel steals a few scenes he was definitely my favorite character in the movie